Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Back nine may soon become a Starbucks — or a subdivision

Registered
    Jun 2003

Back nine may soon become a Starbucks — or a subdivision

Page 1 Headline and Article in USA TODAY

Highlights:
    Golf courses are being plowed under in record numbers to make way for residential and commercial developments.

“Golf courses aren't generating the returns people like to see,” says Mike Hughes, chief executive of the National Golf Course Owners Association. “The land has appreciated so much in value that it makes abundant economic sense to turn the property over to other uses.”

Hit hardest: golf courses built in rural areas that since have been surrounded by population growth. A golf course is a real estate developer's dream: about 150 acres of undeveloped land.
    Headline and Article:
    Cities try to parlay golf greens into greenbacks
    Case study/examples.

Has this happen in your area ?
    or been involved in such a conversion ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Page 1 Headline and Article in USA TODAY

Highlights:

Headline and Article:
    Cities try to parlay golf greens into greenbacks
    Case study/examples.

Has this happen in your area ?
    or been involved in such a conversion ?
    Bridgewood golf course in Neenah, WI was cut from 18 to 9 holes a few years ago. Part of the former 9 is now multi-family res, part single-family res along with a motel/restraurant/bar complex.

I'm not sure of the dynamics involved, but I assume that the local golf market was overbuilt and the close in land was more valuable being developed.

I am also aware of a 9 hole 'par three' course between Appleton and Neenah, WI that was closed in the late 1980s and is now a single-family subdivision with some commercial along the major street side.

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    There was a big golf course near me (18 hole) on a lot of land, that has since been surrounded by development on all corners. The original owner was going to sell it, probably to a residential developer.

Luckily, the park district won a local referendum to buy the golf course and retain it as such.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Golf courses here in Vancouver haven't been converted into housing - yet. I guess the market bears the number of courses just fine.

Registered
    May 2003
    I'm trying to think but I know of only one non-city owned golf course (a "country club" in Mt. Greenwood) in this city. There also used to be a 9-hole course downtown that now has condo towers on it.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb View post
    I'm trying to think but I know of only one non-city owned golf course (a "country club" in Mt. Greenwood) in this city. There also used to be a 9-hole course downtown that now has condo towers on it.
    That little nine hole course in that former IC railroad yard (just south of the river/just west of LSD) was never intended to be a permanant thing, it was always expected to be a temporary use, just until the current development could get under way.

And it is absolutely INCREDIBLE tall-building activity, too, as several in the 50-70 floor range are now in various stages of construction.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2002
    It's being attempted here, but the golf courses are usually in PUDs so have to go through a lot of hoops first (none of which have been approved). The more upscale developments are building new courses, while the older developments are trying to close their courses down and put in new houses.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    A nice little nine hole course (Tierra Verde) in St. Pete, FL was closed several years ago (mid/late 80s) and turned into condo world. Two holes played along the water - along the left side went from rough, to sand, to water. There's also a course northwest of Charlotte, NC (Westport) that was closed about 5 years ago and there was talked about a housing development, but no activity and is just vanct land now. So this trend isn't exactly new. Alot of it has to do with land values, development pressure, course design (length/style), course maintenance/condition and play.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Back in the 1980's, west Toledo lost a small 9-hole par-3-type course. Purchased by a locally-owned big box (The Anderson's) and they opened a big store at that location.

In Swanton, OH, one of the nicest golf courses in the area is on the verge of bankruptcy.....Valleywood. A local company, already owners of a number of courses in the metro, is actively offering to buy Valleywood. Because of the terrain, the creekside views, and the growth of Toledo's bedroom suburbs, it would be no suprise if developers bid higher for Valleywood and put it out of biz.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Can't remember the name of it, but the golf course located at the Tech Center on the outskirts of Denver is going to be the site of a very large TOD. When I was therein February, they said the course was goingto be closed in a matter weeks and construction was to follow soon. Don't know the current status of it.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Golf courses are generally built in Florida only to sell houses and usually become a money pit for the developer due to maintenance cost. They say that a golf course developer's happiest day is when he sells it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    We had a different twist here...A golf course which was losing large amounts of money was negotiating with the school district to sell them the property to locate 5 schools...Naturally, the NIMBY's won out and the sale was shot down...now the homeowners around the golf course get to look at a deserted overgrown course...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Did someone say Starbucks?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 07 Mar 2014, 9:49 PM
  2. Starbucks is expanding!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 11 Aug 2003, 9:16 AM
  3. The Original Starbucks
    Friday Afternoon Club