Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: TOD around freeway interchanges

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003

TOD around freeway interchanges

I've been wondering for a while if TOD could work around freeway interchanges for a few reasons.

Cluster development already happens around interchanges, including ones that are not near any settled places. With that in mind, I noticed that Westlake, OH has a TND type retail complex just off of I-90 (offices/apartments on top of stores like you would normally see in an indoor mall with on street parking and little other surface parking.) The neighbourhood is definitely not served by any transit other than buses. While the whole area had a rather "fake" feel to me, I couldn't deny that it's superior to the normal development that sprouts up around highway interchanges.

Is TOD around interchanges happening anywhere else? For areas that lack any transit beside buses, I'd rather see this kind of development happen. I don't want to wait until light rail or whatever comes to an area, which could be years. If the TOD around the interchanges happens first, the area might even be more ready to be served by transit, be it by bus or something on rails.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Check out what King County, SoundTransit and local municipalities are doing in the Seattle area, particularly in Bellevue, Renton, Kirkland and Redmond.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Check out what King County, SoundTransit and local municipalities are doing in the Seattle area, particularly in Bellevue, Renton, Kirkland and Redmond.
    This is kind of what I was looking for, but these are in places that either have decent transit service or are else near it. I'm thinking of places with absolutely no transit at all other than perhaps a bus on the hour. There's no reason these places can't build by TOD principles. A freeway interchange is kind of like a train stop; you get on and off of it at a specific place. Compact development near the interchange would mean there wouldn't be much driving other than between the interchange and parking garages.

The converse is a suburban pattern of development around interchanges, where once exiting the freeway you drive around on various arterials and collectors. As there is more development, the arterials lack the capacity for the new development and have to be widened and become pedestrian unfriendly.

A TOD around an interchange with a TND around it shouldn't have this problem; if there are more cars, they just fill up more garages. Traffic growth actually on the streets in the development should be from deliveries.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 18 Aug 2013, 2:15 AM
  2. Drive-thrus at highway interchanges
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 10:52 AM
  3. Freeway to nowhere
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 Nov 2005, 11:01 AM
  4. Whitehurst Freeway may come down (DC)
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 May 2005, 10:47 PM
  5. Birth of a freeway
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 9:47 AM