Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cyburbia Fantasy Baseball League Summary Thread

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Cyburbia Fantasy Baseball League Summary Thread

OK, to try to help users get set for the upcoming Cyburbia Baseball League season, I hope this thread explains how all of this is going to work.

1. Registering your team.
    You need to have a yahoo username, and go to baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com, name your team, and then join the following "free" private league:

League ID#: 136346
    Password: cyburbia

2. Pre-Draft Rankings, Draft Setup.
    The Draft will be an "autopick" draft, conducted by yahoo based on the pre-rankings of players by each team. To edit your pre-rankings, go to the "My Team" link at the top of the League webpage, then click on "Edit Pre-Draft Player Rankings."

Once we have selected a draft date, I will let yahoo know that we are ready to draft. Yahoo will automatically draft each team using the pre-draft rankings each team has set up.

I will randomize the draft order once we are ready to draft. The draft is serpentine, meaning than (using 10 teams as an example) the first round will be team 1 through 10, Round 2 will be backwards 10 through 1, and so on.

3. Roster Spots.
    There are 17 starting players on each team: 1 C, 1 1B, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 SS, 3 OF, 2 Util, 2 SP, 2 RP, 3 P. In addition, you may have 5 players on your bench, and each team is allowed 2 spots for the Disabled List (where you can keep the player on your roster and replace him with another player from free-agency. Once you activate a player from the DL, you will need to drop a player to stay under your maximum roster size.)

4. Waivers/Free-Agency.
    Players not selected by teams in the draft become free agents, and can be added to a team's roster after dropping a player off your roster. Players that are dropped are subject to 2 day waivers, where they can be picked up by the team with highest waiver priority should more than one team wish to add him.

5. Trades.
    Trades between teams can occur from anytime after the draft until the trade deadline of August 13, 2006.

In order to assure the fairness of trades, the other members of the league get to vote to approve or disapprove all trades. This prevents someone from dumpling good players for crap in return, and hopefully ensures fair trades.

6. Scoring
    Players earn points for the following statistics:
    Position Players: Runs, HR, RBI, Stolen Bases, Batting Avg, OPS (On Base % + Slugging %)
    Pitchers: Walks & Hits per Inning Pitched, Wins, Saves,Strikeouts, Holds, ERA

7. Head-to-Head Style League.
    The league is set up as a head to head matchup style league. This means that for one week, your team will be matched up directly against another team. The points accumulated in each of the categories above are compared to the stats of the team you're playing against. You earn 1 point for each category your team "wins."

For example, my team wins R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, WHIP. Your team wins W, SV, K, HLD, ERA. The score for that week will be 7-6 for my team.

It is important to remember that unlike Fantasy football where games are played on 2 days per week, and you have plenty of time to set your roster, baseball is played every day. To be most effective, you may need to adjust your lineup on a daily basis (taking out players with days off, replacing them with players that have a game that day). This makes Fantasy Baseball a bit more time consuming to play than Fantasy Football.

8. Schedule/Playoffs.
    The regular season is 22 weeks long. After that point, remaining weeks will be playoffs and consolation bracket. The number of teams qualifying for the playoffs will depend upon the number of registered teams.

I think than covers it.....and as of today (15 March 2006) the draft status has been changed to "ready."
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 15 Mar 2006 at 9:51 AM.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    ...To edit your pre-rankings, go to the "My Team" link at the top of the League webpage, then click on "Edit Pre-Draft Player Rankings." ...
    Do I have to make pre-draft ranking picks? I've picked a few, but I'd rather pick-up the garage when the draft is complete.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    League is locked, and draft status is ready. Let the season begin (as soon as yahoo drafts the teams....)

The auto draft will be completed between now and 11:59 PM PT on Sunday, Mar 19.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 1996

CBL Draft Results

Let free agency begin!
    Attached Files Attached Files

NHP got Chris Carpenter. Da fix is in!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    NHP got Chris Carpenter. Da fix is in!
    Hey, he was #8 in my pre-draft rankings. I emphasised pitching, and I like what I got.

Registered
    Apr 1996

CBL Team Glossary

As suggested by Tide, this thread matches team names to Cyburbians.....for trash talk purposes, and trade discussions, etc.

Please PM me if you are one of those I'm not sure of, so that I can edit this thread.

Concord Kodiaks - NHPlanner
    Pelican City Finches - ZManPlan
    Suburban Sprawl - Joe Iliff
    Mugwumps - Gedunker
    Oregon Cascaders - Mastiff
    Richmond Jakes - Richmond Jake
    DA POBOYS - Planderella
    Trenton Tripleaxles - Tide
    Dallas Pub Sprawlers - dankrzyz
    Hugh Mongass - ssnyderjr
    Wilmington Red Sox - jmello
    Da Region Rats - ??
    Cubbies_Rule - LadyBuc
    Sinn Fein - ??

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Mar 2011, 8:32 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Mar 2010, 12:52 PM
  3. Replies: 77
    Last post: 30 Dec 2002, 10:15 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Oct 2002, 12:57 PM