Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Michigan State University (MSU)

Registered
    Oct 2005

Michigan State University (MSU)

Anyone have information on Michigan State's MURP program?

Registered
    May 2003
    I am currently in the program. What would you like to know about it?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cmdrico7812
    I am currently in the program. What would you like to know about it?
    I would love any information that you think would be valuable to an incoming student / student who is trying to decide what program they will enter in the fall.

More specifically...
    What is the general tone of faculty & student relationships?
    Class sizes...
    What specialization are you pursuing?
    Any information/suggestions on housing (on and off campus)...
    Reading the MSU Planner (Fall 05) I was excited to see the different outreach programs that are in place -- how active are 1st year students in these programs/projects?
    Is there a strong connection between the Alumni and current students?
    Are you assigned a mentor?
    Are there many opportunities to intern at local and regional planning agencies during fall/spring/summer term?
    How effective is the career development center in assisting students with job searches?
    Are most graduate assistantships from the department TA or research positions?
    What made you choose MSU over any other program?
    Your general feelings of the program...

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide

Registered
    Mar 2004
    What is the general tone of faculty & student relationships?
    Faculty is not allowed to date the students. If you think you have to sleep with the prof to get a good grade I suggest going elsewhere because they are not good looking at all.

Class sizes...
    Most are between 130-200 pounds

What specialization are you pursuing?
    Good for cows, transportation, and growing stuff

Any information/suggestions on housing (on and off campus)...
    Stay away from where they burn the couches and the cops don riot gear every couple of months.

Reading the MSU Planner (Fall 05) I was excited to see the different outreach programs that are in place -- how active are 1st year students in these programs/projects?
    I heard they once did a field trip to see all of the Post Bars in the State.

Is there a strong connection between the Alumni and current students?
    Yes, they spawned MDOT, MDNR and MDEQ.

Are you assigned a mentor?
    Mine was superman. He took me to his fortress of solitude on his own mentor.. oh wait.. that was meteor...

Are there many opportunities to intern at local and regional planning agencies during fall/spring/summer term?
    Huh? How big do you think Lansing is? Way more students than internships in the area.

How effective is the career development center in assisting students with job searches?
    Carreer development is an essential part of finding a job.

Are most graduate assistantships from the department TA or research positions?
    No, but I heard of lots of people having VD there.

What made you choose MSU over any other program?
    Its more expensive than Eastern, and I don't have to live at home as I would have had to if I went to Wayne State or Oakland.

Your general feelings of the program...
    Okay time to stop the smart@$$ed answers. I work with lots of MSU grads, most are very capable people, good are reasoning, with good skills, ad bring a lot to the table. I do not really have anything bad to say about them, which is a positive reflection on the school.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for reminding me of what I can look forward to if I decide to go back home to Detroit...

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Hey, DP, quit cappin' on my alma mater, would ya.

All I know about State's MURP school is that in '93 I got turned down when I applied (I had a 3.3 GPA with a BS in Civil Engineering). I thought I had a solid application but it's just as well; I have been doing very well as a planner without a Masters Degree (reason #1 why I got aicp'd).

In general, I got a better education at CMU (first two years) than I did in my last three years at MSU. I'm a big fan of MAC schools as a result.

Oh, and, I, um, may have set a couch on fire while spending time in EL.

Good luck. Go State. Fire up Chips!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm glad Plankton saw some humor in it. It was supposed to be funny in an odd sort of way.

Go Tartars! Err Warriors!!! Go Hurons!!! Err Eagles!!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2003
    As a future alum of the program (pending my thesis being completed by May) I too did find humor in your response. I was originally going to attend UI-UC but out-of-state tuition is a fortune, so I stayed close to home and attended MSU instead. I have a BS in planning and GIS from northern michigan university and was able to get credit for the first semesters worth of required course material because of this background. MSU has lots of study abroad opportunities and that's what drew me to it, I did one this past summer in germany and austria. I was able to secure an assistantship for the past two years I've been here including over the summer. I've had a great experience here and would recommend it. but do watch out for the really immature undergrads as they run rampent over east lansing.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Apr 2013, 11:12 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last post: 03 Apr 2013, 1:37 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Aug 2009, 2:26 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Mar 2007, 2:38 PM
  5. University of Michigan
    Student Commons