Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: CAP Asia (Ball State)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

CAP Asia (Ball State)

Just wondering if anyone has participated in the CAP Asia study abroad program for planning sponsored by Ball State? If so how would you characterize your experience?

During my years at BSU I was truly the impoverished grad student, so I did not have the opportunity to partake in any of the international field trips. However, my friends that were able go positively raved about their experiences. I have a very positive sense about all of BSU/CAP's field study opportunities.
    Je suis Charlie

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    During my years at BSU I was truly the impoverished grad student, so I did not have the opportunity to partake in any of the international field trips. However, my friends that were able go positively raved about their experiences. I have a very positive sense about all of BSU/CAP's field study opportunities.
    Ditto for me. Everyone I know that went on the CAP field study trips thought the experience was well worth it though.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Thanks for the input. This is the #1 reason why I want to go to BSU being that I have been to India before and absolutely loved it there and would not hesitate to return to India or Sri Lanka again.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have not been on the trip, but two of my classmates two semesters ago went, and I know the Prof who is in charge of the program very well.

CAP ASIA is a great program if you are interested in work that is being done in Sri Lanka, India, China, and other countries of the East. The program last year went to where the tsunamis hit, and they did work to reconstruct villages and homes. The program is not only a great experience, but you get ample amount of credit for it as well... making it a good overall experience. If I didn't have prior commitments, I would have most likely made the trip.

Although there are many undergrads that go, Graduate students are encouraged to attend as well, as both Profs who go, like to have a diverse array of talents.

If you choose Ball State and you can go on the trip, I would say that it will be something that you will take with you in all that you do.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Ball State!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Nov 2013, 10:23 AM
  2. Ball State goes geothermal
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Jan 2011, 11:32 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 11:34 PM