Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: the times they are a-changing

Registered
    Aug 2005

the times they are a-changing

i was watching the Flip this House marathon on TLC this weekend and i was a bit surprised and saddened to see that one of the places that was being flipped was in "South Los Angeles" - the new sanitized name of South Central LA. not that i want any city or town to be awash with gangs, drugs, and violence but, to me, it was sad to see a landmark of my generation being gentrified.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Residents of South Central might be glad that the market there is picking up and that their neighborhood is on TV for something other than murders.

Disclaimer: Everything I know about South Central is from movies, rap videos or COPS.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    yeah, i realize that some people are probably happy that the housing prices are going up, up, up. and i'm sure a new demographic will bring a change in the lifestyle of the area.

selfishly, i'm just kinda bummed that things from my youth are changing. i can no longer pretend to be a hardcore gansta because i no longer know where the ganstas are.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    One of the better things to happen to the city. "South Central" was an amoeba of a term--any community with blacks and crime south of the 10 (Santa Monica Freeway) cound be labeled "South Central". From the '80s on, the media fed on this in the worst way. So the more realistic South Los Angeles is a turn for the better.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by LorenzoRoyal
    One of the better things to happen to the city. "South Central" was an amoeba of a term--any community with blacks and crime south of the 10 (Santa Monica Freeway) cound be labeled "South Central". From the '80s on, the media fed on this in the worst way. So the more realistic South Los Angeles is a turn for the better.

pffft. you and your anti-media hype. next you'll be saying it's all "the man's" fault.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Seriously, I wonder how a commuity's name affects its perception and property values. Look at Eastpointe, Michigan.

I live in South Euclid, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland. The city isn't too different than its surrounding suburbs - Cleveland Heights, Lyndhurst, University Heights and Beachwood - but say the name "South Euclid," and some flinch. Some associate it with the more blue-collar, working-class city of Euclid to the south. Property values in South Euclid tend to be lower per square foot than surrounding communities, even though the the demographics are the same, the schools are good, and the property taxes not out of line with other Cleveland suburbs. I'm willing to bet if the city's name was changed to "North Beachwood," the price of my house would go up by at least 30K.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I first heard "South Los Angeles" I was really confused too... having grown up in L.A. from 1970 to the late-80s. But I think it's a positive step to get out of the stigma of South Central name.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Seriously, I wonder how a commuity's name affects its perception and property values.
    Our old Boston neighborhood of Dorchester had an extremely bad rep among those with less knowledge of the city (i.e., transplants and college students), due to its nightly presence on the crime section of the evening news. However, the neighborhood is also the city's largest and most of the high crime areas were as far from our street as they were from exclusive Brookline and Back Bay.

One of my friends (a transplant) would not even consider looking in Dorchester or Roxbury because of their reputations. He ended up buying in South Boston (a hot area with yuppies right now). He paid more than we did for a 1BR/1BA basement apartment in an old brick mortuary with no outdoor space. Our place in North Dorchester (basically an extension of South Boston) was 3BR/1BA 1400SF with a front and back porch and shared backyard. He was on a bus line, we were 5-minutes from a rapid transit station. Our condos were literally a five minute drive apart, but we were in the dreaded "Dorchester."

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    pffft. you and your anti-media hype. next you'll be saying it's all "the man's" fault.
    Ha ha ha. Just stating facts. There is a such thing as name association.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Changing of the Guard
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 17 Oct 2013, 3:46 PM
  2. Changing your oil
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 40
    Last post: 13 Jan 2009, 11:44 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 11 Oct 2007, 6:32 PM