Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Olympics and War?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Olympics and War?

So the TV ratings for the Olympics are down and they are being beating by American Idol and Gray’s Anatomy. On a radio show, the host thinks that it is because we have nothing to prove in the games. In 81’ the hockey team beating the Soviets was more about “US” vs “Them” than it was about hockey.

Do you think that now that we are at peace with the nations in the Olympics, that most people don’t care?
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Do you think that now that we are at peace with the nations in the Olympics, that most people don’t care?
    I haven't watched as much of the Olympics because its hard not to know the results before it airs. If you listen to a radio, surf the internet or watch a news channel, you can't avoid hearing who medaled. It's no fun watching a game when you know the outcome.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    No, it is because most of the olympic events are not friendly to the television viewer, particularly because of the time delay.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Mainly, I think it is NBC's fault for producing such crappy coverage. Last night, I saw a short segment about a US bobsledder's deaf child and their heartbreaking separation. As precious as that is (), they could have been showing more bobsledding, or ice dancing, or whatever......I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE PERSONAL LIVES OF THE ATHLETES.

The US public is becoming more and more fickle every year.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i think the lack of viewership comes down to the fact that the Olympics aren't that special any more. since the division of the summer and winter olympics for the sake of the sponsors it doesn't feel like such a big deal. i remember being little and thinking "wow! i can't believe we have to wait another 4 whole years!!" now it's like, "eh, weren't they just on?"

one more notch in our quest for instant gratification.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I suppose there is generally more hype and interest where 'arch rivalries' exist. It's true that since the end of the Cold War we lack a clear arch rival - China would probably be the closest thing nowadays, but even that is sorta complicated.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Mainly, I think it is NBC's fault for producing such crappy coverage. Last night, I saw a short segment about a US bobsledder's deaf child and their heartbreaking separation. As precious as that is (), they could have been showing more bobsledding, or ice dancing, or whatever......I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE PERSONAL LIVES OF THE ATHLETES..
    Plus the focus on US athletes only. Watching mens aerials 2 nights ago, the USGuy#1 performs and is in first place. Cut to commercial or touching personal story, come back and USGuy#2 performs. Announcers go "Those scores put USGuy#2 in Fifth Place, only one place behind USGuy#1." Hmm I think I'm missing something...

It's sad since the camera work is getting incredible, with all the cameras that are able to follow athletes around the course. The one that goes down the ski jump is particularly cool. And also the effect where they can overlay two tapes to show how skiier's lines differ. Very cool to see exactly where they lose fractions of a second. If they could overlay this type of work with point-of-view cameras that show exactly what the athlete sees (skeleton, come on i want to see it!!), I'd tune in eveyr night...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Oh right.. there are winter olympics right now...national media here provides practically no coverage..... I don't miss it one bit.

Besides, what's the point about seeing other people doing sports? It's not like it's gonna make one do sports, and personally I don't see the fun in it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The modern Olympic games were supposedly begun in an effort to promote internationalism and peace. Instead, they appear to have become yet another tool/means of expressing militant nationalism (sigh).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 1998
    American Idol is beating practically everyone in the ratings. I've always thought that if the sport didn't include a basketball, baseball or football, the media could care less about decent coverage. I'm a huge tennis fan, but I have to watch Grand Slam matches on an ESPN channel at some ungodly hour.

As far as the Olympics are concerned, I think the media is more interested in covering the drama behind the games, i.e., Hedrick v. Davis debacle in speedskating. Get over it already!!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    As far as the Olympics are concerned, I think the media is more interested in covering the drama behind the games, i.e., Hedrick v. Davis debacle in speedskating. Get over it already!!
    This has been a huge disappointment for me too. I don't know which is worse, the fued or the coverage of it. Its embarassing to watch.

The part I hate is knowing the results ahead of time and the network choosing for me which things will be on in prime time. If everything is tape delayed and there are three different channels to carry tape of the day's events, why aren't they utilizing all those channels all the time? Besides, does anyone watch MSNBC any other time? The channel couldn't be doing worse with continuous Olympic coverage than with the usual dreck that's on. NBC's network coverage is abysmal. You have to wade through ten minutes of commercials to get maybe seven minutes of coverage only to see the US team's contributions. I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have cable and has to rely on what the NBC flagship channel puts on that night.

While I'm on my Olympic rant.....I hate that the winter and summer games are now staggered so that we're subjected to them essentially every two years. As the saying goes, "I can't miss you if you're never gone". Or something like that.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    American Idol is beating practically everyone in the ratings.
    Sad proof that urban yodeling is more popular than hockey. Woahah wohah whooooah oooooh woahahhhhaa!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I work too much to watch in any detail. I would love see a few ends of curling, though.

The arrogant American athletes, and especially fans, sicken me. No wonder the world hates our guts...

Registered
    Feb 2005
    These Olympics remind me that America is not an Olympic country. If we were truly into the games, we would want to watch them live, instead of a 7-10 hour tape delay. Do you watch ANY other sporting event like that? As others have stated, they are no longer special. Athens was just two years ago yet it feels like it just happened! And I hate all the hype, especially when it falls apart (e.g., Bode Miller is the Dan & Dave of 2006). Plus, three days after the games, it will be like nothing ever happened. (Think anyone will be talking about Davis vs. Hedrick a month from now?)

So many commercials, who has the time? I don't.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Olympics coverage didn't used to be so picky; just a few views of the top contenders. How do you rate the big dogs if you don't see all the others?? My big beef and why I quit watching years ago. I have not subsituted another TV show. I just don't turn on the TV at night, period. The Olympics used to be a lot more fun.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Yea, M-ski, I think the drama is down a bit with the cold war being over and such.

But, I have enjoyed the Olympics this year. My mom is here visiting from Maine and she really likes them. I have had a great time watching the games, playing scrabble, and eating cake with my east coast fam.

I read a ridiculous article about "why america isn't win more medals this year". For crying out loud, the US is just about in first in overall medals and half of the damn sports are snow boarding. Yeesh. Yea, I'll take an end (is that a game or one turn?) of curling, too. I remember watching curling on Windsor Channel 9 growing up--beats shuffleboard anyday!! The US's arrogance is a bit much but overall I think NBC has done an okay job with the coverage and I've particualry enjoyed watchin hung over Bode fare poorly.

Go Latvia! (just because, I guess)

Registered
    Jun 2005
    We have a real crappy delay on the olympic coverage here... so in the morning we wake to hear who won medals and then we see the coverage of it at 9.30pm. But people actually do watch the coverage

I mean in any sport- Olympics included- everyone that comes against Australia is the enemy!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Oh yeah! From an NBC press release::

MSNBC: MSNBC's Sunday, Feb. 19 coverage of the U.S. men's curling team facing Great Britain delivered 1.597 million total viewers, its highest viewer delivery since Sunday, April 6, 2003, during the start of the Iraq war. MSNBC's Saturday, Feb. 18 coverage of the U.S. women's curling match vs. Italy delivered 1.258 million average viewers (0.81 HH rating) its highest rating and best viewer delivery in the 5-8 p.m. time slot since Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2004 (1.272 million viewers), and the best Saturday for that time period since coverage of the start of the Iraq war, April 5, 2003 (1.801 million viewers).

[snip]

CNBC: CNBC's curling coverage, 5-8 p.m. ET following "Closing Bell," is delivering 1,036,000 average viewers, 703 percent higher than its February 2005 average in the time period and 361 percent higher than its pre-Olympic first quarter levels.
    :

The answer to the Olympics rating slump? Curling in prime-time.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Mainly, I think it is NBC's fault for producing such crappy coverage.
    I 100% agree. NBC spent all night last night showing the female ski jumping, twisting thingy (sorry, can't remember technical term), but I didn't even find out that the US men's hockey team lost until this morning.
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 390,269 people with a 99% happiness rating (1/23/2017)!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    The coverage is one thing that I do miss. With the last winter Olympics I was still living in the UP going to NMU. Since we were that close to Canada, we had BBC and they covered it LIVE!

How sad is it that we had to watch Canadian TV to see the Olympics held in the US...
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Jan 2006
    The answer to the Olympics rating slump? Curling in prime-time. [/QUOTE]

Amen!

- TOFB (perpetual third)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Dan - Please explain the Curling scoring system...I enjoy watching the strategy involved, but haven't been able to understand the points.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    Dan - Please explain the Curling scoring system...I enjoy watching the strategy involved, but haven't been able to understand the points.
    See: http://www.curldc.org/about/basics.php
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Planner Olympics
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 06 Aug 2012, 9:39 PM
  2. Winter Olympics
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 140
    Last post: 10 Mar 2010, 9:36 PM
  3. Olympics and the city