Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: Disillusioned San Diego Planner Relocating to Bay Area/San Francisco and the Bay Area

  1. #26
    NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,474
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    As far as I'm concerned, all Californians are the same: much, much talk about nada.
    That is simply the stupidest comment Iíve read here for a long time (with apologizes to jaws). You creeps east of the Sierra Nevada have no clue. California is the most socially, environmentally, physically, and culturally diverse place in the world. You canít categorize it in a single media-generated phrase. Economically, the state, if measured individually, would be between the 5th to 7th largest economy in the world. Obviously, youíve never been there. You folks that put the hit on California are just missing it. The boat sailed on you. I can't go any further....

  2. #27
    BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    I said nothing about California. I did say plenty about Californians, who I have had quite a few opportunities to meet.
    Boy I'm feeling the love for Californians here. That's no bueno!

  3. #28
    Cyburbian jmello's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clayobyrne, CB
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    That is simply the stupidest comment I’ve read here for a long time (with apologizes to jaws).
    I prefaced it with "as far as I'm concerned." And, as far as I'm concerned, I don't really care what you think about my personal view of Californians, which was developed through many, many interpersonal interactions with these long-talking folks from the "land of ultimate diversity."

    Perhaps one day I will meet a long-talker who changes my mind. Doubtful.

  4. #29
    NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,474
    If you donít get it now, you never will. Youíre ignorant. Just fark you. Stay where you are because California doesnít need you. Again, Iím done because youíll never understand. I was born and raised in the Golden State so I have a good idea what's happening and what's going on there.

    Oh BTW, I don't care what you view of Californians is either. Stay east.

  5. #30
    BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    I prefaced it with "as far as I'm concerned." And, as far as I'm concerned, I don't really care what you think about my personal view of Californians, which was developed through many, many interpersonal interactions with these long-talking folks from the "land of ultimate diversity."

    Perhaps one day I will meet a long-talker who changes my mind. Doubtful.
    I want to know where are the land of short-talkers! I'll be there on a red eye! heh heh

  6. #31
    Cyburbian jmello's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clayobyrne, CB
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    California is the most socially, environmentally, physically, and culturally diverse place in the world.
    Not hard to do when it takes up the whole coast, what would be 8-10 states back east.

    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Stay where you are because California doesnít need you...Stay east.
    Shoot, I'll cancel my flight tomorrow. Is that okay with you guys? I guess the wife will have to experience "Californication" without me. Darn.

    Quote Originally posted by vtboy99
    I want to know where are the land of short-talkers! I'll be there on a red eye! heh heh
    Anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon and east of the Appalachians. Book your flight. Tomorrow. Do it.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 22 Jan 2007 at 9:20 AM. Reason: double reply

  7. #32
    NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,474
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Not hard to do when it takes up the whole coast, what would be 8-10 states back east.
    That will be a surprise to Oregon and Washington.

  8. #33
    BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon and east of the Appalachians. Book your flight. Tomorrow. Do it.
    You sound very hostile.

    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon and east of the Appalachians. Book your flight. Tomorrow. Do it.
    By the way "jello", I am a native Vermonter, so I know exactly what you are talking about. I am just trying to get a rise out of you and all of your narrow-minded rhetoric...

    Please do entertain us more, will you?
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 22 Jan 2007 at 9:20 AM. Reason: double reply

  9. #34
    Member CosmicMojo's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Location
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Posts
    543
    The funniest thing about Californians I experienced when I was visiting San Diego for a vacation was they ALL assumed I was going to move there now that I visited. They didn't even say "bet you want to move here now."
    They'd just say, "when are you moving?"
    or "think you want to live in downtown San Diego or the suburbs?"
    funny stuff

  10. #35
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,587
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    The funniest thing about Californians I experienced when I was visiting San Diego for a vacation was they ALL assumed I was going to move there now that I visited. They didn't even say "bet you want to move here now."
    They'd just say, "when are you moving?"
    or "think you want to live in downtown San Diego or the suburbs?"
    funny stuff

    See the funny thing about that is when I lived in San Diego I recall people who visited always saying things like 'oh is the weather always this nice? What a great place I'm going to have to try to move here!"

  11. #36
    BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    See the funny thing about that is when I lived in San Diego I recall people who visited always saying things like 'oh is the weather always this nice? What a great place I'm going to have to try to move here!"
    CosmicMojo and Imaplanner:

    Weather does not make for a great place to live, that's mere window dressing. People, culture, and the arts are what make a city world class (more than just a mere sunny vacation spot), and that's is precisely why my fiance and I absolutely detest San Diego.

    Try reading the fabulous book by acclaimed urban theorist Mike Davis, "Under the Perfect Sun: the San Diego Tourists Never See" if you don't believe me...

    Only Orange County (and perhaps other militantly right-wing, socially unconscious, and culturally-devoid Sunbelt cities such as Miami, Houston, and Phoenix) come close to the "sub"-urban vacuum that is San Diego.

    Bay Area here we come!

  12. #37
    Cyburbian jmello's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clayobyrne, CB
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally posted by vtboy99
    Only Orange County (and perhaps other militantly right-wing, socially unconscious, and culturally-devoid Sunbelt cities such as Miami, Houston, and Phoenix) come close to the "sub"-urban vacuum that is San Diego.
    Miami, culturally devoid? I think not. It is the most vital link between Anglo- and Latin-America and is virtually bi-lingual.

  13. #38
    Member CosmicMojo's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Location
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    See the funny thing about that is when I lived in San Diego I recall people who visited always saying things like 'oh is the weather always this nice? What a great place I'm going to have to try to move here!"
    haha, it all makes sense now, why people kept assuming I wanted to move to California, 'cause all they heard from visitors was that they wanted to move! LOL
    I didn't think it was a negative thing, that people always assumed I wanted to move to SoCal, rather, I thought it was neat that they love their home so much. That's how I am about my home and dig people who are the same way, see the positive side of where they are, appreciate the positive.

    The opposite, people who seem to hate where they are confuse me. Why not move? Or at least try to enjoy where you are. Those naysayers just seem to want to be unhappy. We get a lot of them writing to the paper saying how much better their old city in the north was and I always wonder why they don't just go where they'll be happy. Of course, wherever you go, there you are.

    I DO think, if I was looking to move, that weather would be a big determining factor for me. I just do not like cold. I do not like ice. I love being outdoors, but I can't stand the cold. I love my home 'cause it's my hometown and all my family is here, but if that were not the case, I'd move even further south to warmer climes. Cal would be attractive because of the climate, but the costs would probably keep me away. Entertainment was more important when I was younger, now I just like to putter around my garden, read on the back porch, and don't go out as much, so I'd look for a place that is more relaxing than entertaining. Small city or town.

  14. #39
    BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Miami, culturally devoid? I think not. It is the most vital link between Anglo- and Latin-America and is virtually bi-lingual.
    relax and take a deep breath. what's funny about you is that you're still on the rampage and no one else is...

    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    haha, it all makes sense now, why people kept assuming I wanted to move to California, 'cause all they heard from visitors was that they wanted to move! LOL
    I didn't think it was a negative thing, that people always assumed I wanted to move to SoCal, rather, I thought it was neat that they love their home so much. That's how I am about my home and dig people who are the same way, see the positive side of where they are, appreciate the positive.

    The opposite, people who seem to hate where they are confuse me. Why not move? Or at least try to enjoy where you are. Those naysayers just seem to want to be unhappy. We get a lot of them writing to the paper saying how much better their old city in the north was and I always wonder why they don't just go where they'll be happy. Of course, wherever you go, there you are.

    I DO think, if I was looking to move, that weather would be a big determining factor for me. I just do not like cold. I do not like ice. I love being outdoors, but I can't stand the cold. I love my home 'cause it's my hometown and all my family is here, but if that were not the case, I'd move even further south to warmer climes. Cal would be attractive because of the climate, but the costs would probably keep me away. Entertainment was more important when I was younger, now I just like to putter around my garden, read on the back porch, and don't go out as much, so I'd look for a place that is more relaxing than entertaining. Small city or town.
    thanks for the veiled insult and by the way, I am moving. there is only so much you can't make the best of the place" and enjoy if you just are not happy there.

    get real!
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 10 Apr 2006 at 12:32 PM. Reason: DOUBLE REPLY

  15. #40
    Member CosmicMojo's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Location
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally posted by vtboy99
    relax and take a deep breath. what's funny about you is that you're still on the rampage and no one else is...



    thanks for the veiled insult and by the way, I am moving. there is only so much you can't make the best of the place" and enjoy if you just are not happy there.

    get real!
    I wasn't insulting you dear. Not every post is about you. I did, in fact, say that it was the people who wrote into my LOCAL paper complaining about the city and saying where they lived before was so much better who I found confusing. That situation is nothing like you. See, it wasn't about you.

    I feel you were just itching for a chance to make a jab at me, claiming insult when my post had NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU. Get a grip and get off my back and grow up and get over yourself.

  16. #41
    Cyburbian Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    4,468
    Moderator note:
    This thread has run its course.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Closed thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 22 Oct 2009, 9:32 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 May 2008, 8:03 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Jan 2007, 8:52 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 21 Aug 2006, 6:31 PM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Jun 2006, 5:39 PM