Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 10 great places to discover the ‘hidden' Florida

Registered
    Jun 2003

10 great places to discover the ‘hidden' Florida

Headline and Article from USA TODAY:
    http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...reat24.art.htm

In each place discussion there are several attractions in these "lesser known" communities/locations mentioned and why they are worth visiting.

The Panhandle - Your secret is out RJ
    The Big Bend - Four northern counties - "distinguished by an absence of tourist features"
    Gainesville and towns south - "a crescent of “exceptionally attractive” small towns"
    Highway A1A through Nassau and Duval counties
    Deland, Lake Helen, Cassadaga
    Lakeland - "Fans of Frank Lloyd Wright shouldn't miss the campus of Florida Southern College, the architect's “largest single installation in the world."
    Pinellas County
    Stuart - "became “the avatar of ‘yesteryear' town planning and the ‘new urbanism.'"
    The Redland
    Calusa Blueway Paddling Trail

Florida Cyburbians is this a fair list ? or some of these over sold/hyped ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Headline and Article from USA TODAY:
    http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...reat24.art.htm

In each place discussion there are several attractions in these "lesser known" communities/locations mentioned and why they are worth visiting.

The Panhandle - Your secret is out RJ
    The Big Bend - Four northern counties - "distinguished by an absence of tourist features"
    Gainesville and towns south - "a crescent of “exceptionally attractive” small towns"
    Highway A1A through Nassau and Duval counties
    Deland, Lake Helen, Cassadaga
    Lakeland - "Fans of Frank Lloyd Wright shouldn't miss the campus of Florida Southern College, the architect's “largest single installation in the world."
    Pinellas County
    Stuart - "became “the avatar of ‘yesteryear' town planning and the ‘new urbanism.'"
    The Redland
    Calusa Blueway Paddling Trail

Florida Cyburbians is this a fair list ? or some of these over sold/hyped ?
    RJ says "we need to read the article FIRST".

Anyway, nope, can't agree. Lakeland is a s*it hole and, well, I don't like FLW architecture anyway. Cassadaga is an sc haunt, it's where you go to get your fortune told. Deland has a cute little downtown, but Winter Park and Mt Dora are better. Gainesville is OK but the rural area south of it it better (including Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings area in Cross Creek).

I am rather insular, don't travel a lot, but there are some other much cooler, more interesting places in my area, but why let them out into the open?

I'll let RJ deal with the panhandle listings.

[edit] Ok, I skimmed the article. I know the author. He is such a d*ck. He thinks very highly of himself. Ick.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    RJ says "we need to read the article FIRST".

Anyway, nope, can't agree. Lakeland is a s*it hole and, well, I don't like FLW architecture anyway. Cassadaga is an sc haunt, it's where you go to get your fortune told. Deland has a cute little downtown, but Winter Park and Mt Dora are better. Gainesville is OK but the rural area south of it it better (including Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings area in Cross Creek).

I am rather insular, don't travel a lot, but there are some other much cooler, more interesting places in my area, but why let them out into the open?

I'll let RJ deal with the panhandle listings.

[edit] Ok, I skimmed the article. I know the author. He is such a d*ck. He thinks very highly of himself. Ick.
    I haven't been to all of them, but.... I really don't care that much about this list.
    I agree with you.
    Work hard, play hard.
    Listen carefully, see broadly.
    Good people, great environment, wonderful life.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Stuart is a traditional town with some nice urban elements but i'm not sure it is the "avatar of yesteryear planning" or whatever this clown called it. Fort Pierce has a much better downtown IMO though it is more gritty and less touristy. And as far as NU wouldn't CityPlace, Abacoa, or Mizner be better candidates?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Pinellas County? Bleh. I know downtown Saint Pete has gotten better, but the rest of the county is uggggggggly sprawl. The barrier islands (Clearwater Beach) are awful. The coast is nice, but you can't totally ignore the built environment. Unless trip malls and concrete block is som ehow unique and worth discovering.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Pinellas County? Bleh. I know downtown Saint Pete has gotten better, but the rest of the county is uggggggggly sprawl. The barrier islands (Clearwater Beach) are awful. The coast is nice, but you can't totally ignore the built environment. Unless trip malls and concrete block is som ehow unique and worth discovering.
    I have to say Pinellas Co does have some plusses. The best urban trail in FL. And the barriers islands, while full of traffic in season, have some very cool little towns and beautiful beaches (unfortunately, some of them are private, so you have to park elsewhere and sneak over there...). Caladesi Island, for example, you have to go to via ferry or private boat. You won't find a better place in FL to find sand dollars (be good, throw them back!).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. APA Great Places 2010
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Oct 2010, 3:57 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 30 Oct 2009, 11:43 AM
  3. 150 Illinois Great Places
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Mar 2007, 11:15 PM