Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Problem uploading images

Registered
    Sep 1999

Problem uploading images

I uploaded a couple photos this morning, that went OK.

Tried to upload a larger batch to my gallery several times this afternoon, and only 2 are being picked up. When I click to upload, I get the screen to go back to gallery and the pics aren't there to title, etc. Help!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I uploaded a couple photos this morning, that went OK.

Tried to upload a larger batch to my gallery several times this afternoon, and only 2 are being picked up. When I click to upload, I get the screen to go back to gallery and the pics aren't there to title, etc. Help!
    I uploaded a big batch of pics yesterday and I had no problems, it was somewhat slow, but no real problems. Although I did get at first only 2 pics, but then the page finished loading and showed the rest...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I've tried half a dozen times between Saturday and today at noon, and no go.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've tried half a dozen times between Saturday and today at noon, and no go.
    You seem to be having problems with your gallery because there are images missing from the Tallahassee and St. Augustine laefests that I'm sure you took and posted.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just tried three times loading two images from this weekend without success. Maybe I'll try tomorrow.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Starting to sound like a conspiracy against us FL posters!

Dan, I haven't been able to upload images for 2 weeks, what's going on???

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I HAVE NO IDEA! Really, I am totally and completely clueless as to why it works for some people and doesn't for others. I'm as frustrated as you are.

I'm going to try removing all the temporary directories the program creates, and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'm at a total loss.

EDIT: Try it again. If it doesn't work, I don't know what's going on. Technically, there is absolutely no reason why some users can upload and others can't, unless they have less than 25 posts. No reason at all. Sorry. If you're still having problems, I'll see what the software writer says.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    ....EDIT: Try it again. If it doesn't work, I don't know what's going on. Technically, there is absolutely no reason why some users can upload and others can't, unless they have less than 25 posts. No reason at all. Sorry. If you're still having problems, I'll see what the software writer says.
    I think I know the answer: one of the people in the image is a new Cyburbian with fewer than 25 posts. I think that could be it. I'll let you know in about 5 minutes.

I was able to load one image but not the other. Odd. Oh, it has nothing to do with the Cyburbian in the image having fewer the 25 posts.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 12 Mar 2006 at 10:28 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I tried to load pictures last night and twice tonight. No success. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll read the instructions again.

Wait, let me try something a little different.
    Edit: Nope, no workie.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 14 Mar 2006 at 9:46 PM.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I couldn't load images from home for a while, but it must of been my router. I also would get weird error messages from some sites. My wife couldn't order product from the corporate web site without bypassing the router.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    I couldn't load images from home for a while, but it must of been my router. I also would get weird error messages from some sites. My wife couldn't order product from the corporate web site without bypassing the router.
    Like ZG said to start this thread, we never get an error message. When the upload is "complete," we're routed to the "back to the gallery" screen. Dan has my password and is looking into things. I appreciate all your efforts.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    I am on my main computer, not the router; and anyway, when the problem started, I didn't have a router!

This is going to get frustrating. Skel and RJ both tried to load my pics and couldn't get them into the gallery.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Please e-mail me the images you can't upload. I'm beginning to suspect that the problem isn't with the software, but the images themselves; their encoding or something like that. PhotoPost depends on a program called GD for resizing and thumbnails. If GD can't read the images, you'll get error messages.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Please e-mail me the images you can't upload.....
    I'm a real farking moron here (sorry, farking morons). How do I email images to you? I feel so stuuuupid.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I'm a real farking moron here (sorry, farking morons). How do I email images to you? I feel so stuuuupid.
    You should have a feature in your e-mail client that will allow you to attach files. Sometimes dragging the icon for the file into the message text will automatically attach it.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I sent one to Dan at (email address)

Unfortunately, it spoiled "the surprise".

Registered
    Aug 2001
    No luck again tonight.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    No luck again tonight.
    Let me repeat what I said in my email again: WHAT BROWSER ARE YOU USING, HOW MANY IMAGES ARE YOU TRYING TO UPLOAD AT A TIME, AND WHAT ARE THE EXACT ERROR MESSAGES YOU ARE GETTING??????

I'll repeat another thing I said in my email: I tried uploading the image ZG sent me while logged in as you, using Mozilla Firefox 1.5 on a PC running Windows XP, and had no problems except a "this script is not responding" prompt the long upload - it was a 600K image. I hit the "Continue" button in the prompt, and it finished the upload.

If I can't reproduce the problems you're experiencing while I'm logged in as you, under the same situation (browser, operating system, etc.), I'll have no way to find out what's wrong unless I went down to Florida and looked at your computer myself, or you took security by installing WinVNC so I could control your home computer from here in Ohio. It would take me about an hour to guide you through the process of installing WinVNC, and I'm already spent a LOT of time on this. A LOT.

Sorry.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ...BROWSER ARE YOU USING, HOW MANY IMAGES ARE YOU TRYING TO UPLOAD AT A TIME, AND WHAT ARE THE EXACT ERROR MESSAGES YOU ARE GETTING??????....
    Internet Explorer, one image (3.17 mb in size), no error message.

I just resized and successfully posted 4 images that ZG sent me. Maybe the images I'm trying to post are too large?
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 19 Mar 2006 at 8:14 AM.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Dan, I'm also using Internet Explorer (6.0) and have tried uploading between 1 and 6 images at a time. And, no error message.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Dan, I'm also using Internet Explorer (6.0) and have tried uploading between 1 and 6 images at a time. And, no error message.
    Let's try it with Mozilla Firefox. My guess is that the images are quite large (600K+; you're uploading full 5 megapixel .jpgs), and that the browser stalls while waiting for the upload script on our side to finish, thinking that there's an error on the server end. If you try it with Firefox, you might get an error message much like I did; just hit "Continue."

If you resize them to 1600x1200 (300-400K), you might not have the problems with the stalling when you're uploading. I'd try Firefox first before resizing, though.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ....If you resize them to 1600x1200 (300-400K), you might not have the problems with the stalling when you're uploading...
    That worked. Pics from last weekend posted without problems.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not problems at this time but I have about 7 images in my gallery of Mt. Dora, FL that should be located in the Cities and Places area. Is there an easy way to move them there?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Not problems at this time but I have about 7 images in my gallery of Mt. Dora, FL that should be located in the Cities and Places area. Is there an easy way to move them there?
    Moderator note:
    I will take care of it. Moved 4 of them that a search turned up...any more?

PM me the image names of any I missed.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Uploading Image Problem
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Nov 2008, 2:27 PM
  2. problem uploading
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Jun 2007, 12:40 AM
  3. problem uploading images to the gallery
    Cyburbia Issues and Help