Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Public records requests

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    This comes from an email I received this morning regarding a public records request.

As for agenda documents being online -- I really appreciate the fact the county puts some documents online because if I could print them, it certainly would be a lot cheaper than the county charges for copies. However, the system the county uses is too technically advanced for my home computer to print the documents. Just opening the documents is time-consuming. And trying to read online with my eyesight is not feasible.

But, as public comments at the meetings over the past few years have disclosed, it isn't just my computer. An untold segment of the public is unable to use the Internet to access public documents because of the county's equipment.
    It's always our fault.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    It's always our fault.
    I imagine you use some really high tech and expensive software like Adobe Acrobat to post your documents too. GOSH the cost incurred to install Adobe on one's home computer is just outragous.

Sheesh, picky picky.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerByDay
    I imagine you use some really high tech and expensive software like Adobe Acrobat to post your documents too. GOSH the cost incurred to install Adobe on one's home computer is just outragous.

Sheesh, picky picky.
    I've been down this road as the webmaster for our city. I finally asked if anyone having the problems had a laptop. One guy said he did and I had him bring it in so I could see what the deal was. Other than missing about 10 Adobe updates, it was fine. Next meeting I hooked his laptop up to our Internet and connected to the display screen in City Hall. I did a quick two-minute demo on how to update or download Adobe and haven't had a complaint since.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Bump. Moved from RTDNTOTO.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Special requests from public
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Feb 2008, 7:43 AM
  2. access to email as public records?