Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Homeless guy at work

Registered
    Dec 2003

Homeless guy at work

Apparently some homeless person has been sleeping outside on a concrete slab by an exit door in the back of the office. Not much of a setup, but there was two pillows, an empty coke bottle, and a ripped up dirty mag. Whoever was back there also managed to make off with the smoking ashtray after dumping all the empty butts next to the concrete slab. I wonder if he thinks he can hawk it at the pawnshop?

I wonder if I should start a new thread about this entitled "Who's sleeping out back at your office?" If I do it should definately have a poll
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    ....managed to make off with the smoking ashtray after dumping all the empty butts next to the concrete slab. I wonder if he thinks he can hawk it at the pawnshop?...
    You didn't finish the story. Why didn't you report that you started the pile of butts on fire thinking that would get rid of them?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We had a homeless guy outside of our courthouse in another county.
    One day during work hours he decided to go behind the dumpster and relieve himself. Trouble was that the windows were mirrored and he thought he was getting out of everyones sight when he was center stage.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    There is a homeless camp in the woods across from my building but I haven't seen any of the denizens over here. At the main county building where I worked for 7 years we would regularly find them sleeping in the smoking gazebo behind the building, as well as kids playing hooky from school.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    In Santiago homeless people usually set up camps under the bridges, in some parks and of course, the abandoned lots and houses/buildings. At least I know that they're not unemployed... their ocupation is glue sniffer...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I used to be able to watch homeless men and women smoke crack and bicycle messengers sell weed from my desk in my old office. In the summer, the screaming and fighting was so unbearable that we had to call the Boston police on a daily basis. Of course, it took them 45 minutes to get there. By then the bums had moved on. We were smack dab in the middle of three homeless shelters that all evicted their guests at dawn.

The front entryway frequently reeked of human excrement and the building super would often be spraying down the sidewalk in the morning. Ah, how I miss the excitement.

Before they began locking down the building at night/on weekends, there was a homeless guy sleeping in the men's restroom on the first floor here in our courthouse. He'd sneak in of a night and leave before the custodians came to work in the morning. Staff would see him on weekends from time to time.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Oct 2001
    We have a homeless woman who sometimes uses the downstairs (public) bathroom to clean up. A couple of blocks away, there was an old guy who used to sit out on a sidewalk in his wheelchair cadging change. And, the regional newspaper featured the surprisingly large number of homeless folks who live down by the creek. Many appeared to be traditional "hobos" (nonconformists uninterested in conforming with society's increasingly onerous requirements).. They all seemed to be a "happy" bunch, chattin' with their buddies, smoking the weed, etc.

Nothing like San Francisco, of course, where heroin addicts with arms entirely covered by superating sores "live" on the median islands of the City's main boulevards. Or, my brother remembers the City trucks that used to drive down South of Market alleys and spray bleach on the pavement.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    This thought did not deserve a thread of its own. If it did it would have had a poll.

The landlord's wife came over to assess the situation. However the pillows were missing. Somebody chucked them. I'm not naming names RJ. She did find the remnants of the pron rag. 2 pages that is. I'm not naming names RJ. She also confiscated Elmo.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    ... However the pillows were missing. Somebody chucked them.
    So that's why you left for an early lunch? They'll look good on your couch.

Quote Originally posted by Tuna
    .... She also confiscated Elmo.
    So where are you throwing you butts now? You are so artistic at placing your blunts in Elmo's mouth.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    So that's why you left for an early lunch? They'll look good on your couch.

So where are you throwing you butts now? You are so artistic at placing your blunts in Elmo's mouth.
    Dude, putting the pillows on my couch...........Putting my blunts in Elmo's mouth........Classic..........You ain't right in the head dude.

Looks like they'll be putting up a fence to keep RJ, I mean the homeless dude from transversing the location on the weekends.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    You should have called Budgie to the rescue. He would have p**d on the butts while talking on his cell, thus solving the problem!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I work downtown and am approached by homeless people at least 5 times a day (usually more). It annoys the hell out of me! I'm getting mad just thinking about it. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    At this time of year you'll see a few homeless persons resting atop nearby steam grates, but that's not really anything new. After all, it is winter and some people refuse to sleep in the emergency shelters.

There is this guy that works in my building who has taken to shaving, brushing his teeth, etc... in one of the men's restrooms before work. The rumor floating around is that he may actually be temporarily homeless and living in a cabin in the backwoods. I feel bad for him, but thats still no excuse for leaving his facial hair remnants all over the sink.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Uses Homeless housing
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 01 Jul 2011, 2:28 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Jun 2008, 12:50 PM
  3. Homeless shelters
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Aug 2006, 11:38 PM