Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Home Depot spilleth over (was: Everything's coming up ZMAN!)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Everything's coming up ZMAN!

Wow, I go to the Home Depot on my lunch hour to grab a Father's Day present, find exactly what I am looking for and pay for it without standing in line!
    THEN, as I exit the place, a guy was there selling "grillables" and so I had to get a bratwurst, complete with kraut, onions, relish, hot sause, and spicy mustard! SWEET!
    THEN, I go to the car wash next door and the owner comes up and says he put a new kind of soap into the automatic bay and wants to test it out on a dirty, dark-colored car! So I get a free car wash!.

All I need is to be sent home early, with some cool ones waiting in my fridge!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Wow, I go to the Home Depot on my lunch hour to grab a Father's Day present, find exactly what I am looking for and pay for it without standing in line!
    THEN, as I exit the place, a guy was there selling "grillables" and so I had to get a bratwurst, complete with kraut, onions, relish, hot sause, and spicy mustard! SWEET!
    THEN, I go to the car wash next door and the owner comes up and says he put a new kind of soap into the automatic bay and wants to test it out on a dirty, dark-colored car! So I get a free car wash!.

I too was at Home Depot this morning, but it was to inform them that they are in violation of the Temporary Use Permit from the Zoning Board of Appeals to permit for seasonal outdoor displays of merchandise.

The store manager did not want to deal with me so he sicked the district manager on me. Well I told him what can stay, what needs to go, and areas that canít have anything. He then spent 45 minutes acting as if I was trying to close the business.

All morning he was saying ďBUT We have no other place to put those thirty pallets of mulch and block.... WHAT???? ARE YOU KIDDING, I CANíT STORE THE LAWN TRACTORS IN THE CRATES OUT HERE, Where am I going to put them, why donít you just close the store, how can we compete with the other places???? Who do I need to talk to for us to be able to store stuff out here??? I want the phone number for your supervisor!Ē

I called my supervisor on from my phone to find out if she was available to come down and she said that she did not have time to deal with him, and asked what was going on. She then told e to give them a Monday morning correction date and let them know we will be issuing tickets if they do not comply. I then informed him of it, and gave him my supervisorís number because he wantís to schedule a meeting to Ďdiscussí the storage issue.

Why canít Home Depot manage their inventory in relationship to their available building size? How is it that they donít get it that they canít do what ever they want?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Why canít Home Depot manage their inventory in relationship to their available building size?
    Their inventory management system has nothing to do with their building size. It's all about seasonal product demand.

I'm sure some corporate accountant has it figured out that any possible local zoning fines are worth the $$$ they make on the high demand high profit seasonal product lines.
    All these years the people said heís actiní like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    Their inventory management system has nothing to do with their building size. It's all about seasonal product demand.

I'm sure some corporate accountant has it figured out that any possible local zoning fines are worth the $$$ they make on the high demand high profit seasonal product lines.
    That is where they are going to shoot them self in the foot. Temporary Use Permits have a yearly staff review, and if there where problems in the past years, we can revoke their permit. Also the way that our enforcement with fines and everything are written into the code, we have write a few tickets, then pull them before a judge for a show cause hearing, let them explain why they are not correcting the violation before a judge) The judge will then sign a compliance order and if they donít they correct the violation are in contempt of court, and subject to court as well as responsible persons from the company could face possible jail time. I have one case the if the guy does not clean up the property he will be in jail at the end of the month.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Why canít Home Depot manage their inventory in relationship to their available building size? How is it that they donít get it that they canít do what ever they want?
    Yeah, we have the same problem with our Home Depot, but we are on a complaint-only business. I did notice the crates of riding mowers in the parking lot, but usually we regulate the outdoor display throught he PUD process, and haven't had too many problems with them. Our problems usually stem from us planners not allowing them to build the corporate architecture...

Normally, I would care about violations, but I was fresh off from a mobile home inspection where the foundation grading was terrible (don't ask why we look at that as a planning department), well to make a long story short I was called a Communist for the first time ever today.

Comrade Z Man, signing off...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN

Hope you bought a lottery ticket today!
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Forgot about this dandy...!

The guy in front of Home Despot also sells Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches.

This lunch hour, if I get into work, will probably be spent at the auto parts store.

-Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 50
    Last post: 13 Sep 2007, 2:07 PM
  2. Wal-Mart and Home Depot: smaller stores
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 May 2007, 11:33 AM
  3. Home Depot ballot box planning
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3