Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Throbbing Brain Offers its Erudite Opinions Concerning Kiddie Cartoons

Registered
    Dec 2008

The Throbbing Brain Offers its Erudite Opinions Concerning Kiddie Cartoons

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Jacob Two-Two? I find their stylization too artsy fartsy for my tastes (although I adore the Canadian accents). As animation styles featured on Qubo go, my favorite is found on Willa's Wild Life. Very Shag-inspired and I happen to like Googie architecture too (which abounds in that show).
    Discussing the finer points of these shows is proving much more meaningful than with my bunch of kids. They just stare at me blankly, or tell me it's hard to have a nerdy, nerdy man for a father.

I agree about Willas' Wild Life, especially regarding the architecture (and those elephants with the strained, neurotic voices - classic)...but if you DIS Jacob Two-Two again I'll have to fight you.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Okay, I actually like the animation style in 'Jane and the Dragon'. That 'textured' effect ursus refers to on the 'Loser' thread is actually a lack of texturing. Next time you watch it take close look at, say, a castle wall and you'll see it's a perfectly flat plane with the stones and mortar drawn on it in 2D. It's quite inventive really (and cost saving too)

Registered
    May 2005
    My daughters love Phineas and Ferb.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My daughters love Phineas and Ferb.
    Because it is great. I enjoy the humor in it. It is written by the guys that did Rocco's Modern Life. Which was also great.

My son loves Mickey Mouse Playhouse...which is tough. The mouse is obviously stupid, as he always needs tools to do the most mundane things. I always tell my son that he shouldn't use Mickey's logic. Why would you put a rug on a glass bridge? Why? Just use the other bridge that is next to it if you are so worried about breaking it...geez...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Not to go all historyically geeky, but can anything really compare to Fraggle Rock? Is that still being run on any stations?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Not that I know of, but that show was awesome. Speaking of 80's puppet driven shows/movies, does anyone remember The Dark Crystal?
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    We do not have cable, so I realize there is an entire pantheon of cartoon stuff I have no access to except when staying in a hotel. So, all of that aside, my hands down favorite cartoons right now are:

Martha Speaks and Arthur. As fun for me as an adult (well, sort of and adult) to watch as for the kids. good writing, great timing and fairly sophisticated jokes.

Last weekend, for Family Movie Night, we watched The Muppet Movie. Cut to my wife watching with jaw dropped as I sang along to almost all the songs. And the kids didn't even balk at the antiquated manual puppetry...

Movin' Right Along ("a bear in his natural habitat - a Studabaker!"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVn6Yz9W-ng

I saw The Dark Crystal as a kid in the theater and loved it!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Yep. Ever since Jim Henson died things just haven't been the same.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Not to go all historyically geeky, but can anything really compare to Fraggle Rock? Is that still being run on any stations?
    Fraggle Rock was the Holy Grail for me as a youngster. I remember going to my cousins house who had HBO to watch it.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Martha Speaks and Arthur. As fun for me as an adult (well, sort of and adult) to watch as for the kids. good writing, great timing and fairly sophisticated jokes.
    Those are pretty good PBS Kids cartoons. I would also put in Curious George for good writing and story telling. It is a shame our PBS station (KCET out of Los Angeles) is separating from PBS next year.

I might get lampooned for this one, but have any of you seen the new Scooby Doo cartoon on Cartoon Network called "Mystery Inc."? The writing and animation is pretty good, not to mention the whole story arc of Shaggy hooking up with Velma and Daphanie having the hots for Fred, but he is too stupid to realize it. Cracks me up,

Another one is Sponge Bob Square Pants. Ya, i know it is old, but deep down below the surface there are many good adult humor references that just blow by the kids heads. Much like early Simpson Episodes from 1990 to about 2000.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Huh?

What the hexx all you all talking about? I have absolutely no knowledge of almost every program mentioned. Get off my lawn.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Showing my age - What about Johnny Quest ? or The Thunderbirds ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Oh My !!!

Showing my age.....

Clutch Cargo
    Beany & Cecil
    Felix The Cat
    The Heckle & Jeckle Show

Oh my !!!

Bear