Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Separating planning board into permitting and planning

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Separating planning board into permitting and planning

I am trying to come up with a method to separate the current Planning Board into 2 Boards, one for permitting, one for planning (comp plan, zoning wiritng, etc.)

Does anyone in here have this - how is it working for you? How is it staffed? What's the workload for each like? How often do they meet? Do you like it or hate it? Who appoints them?

anything anyone can give me would be great - thanks - links are great too to save you time -

I've never worked with it before so I am relying on other examples - personally, the thought of another group of people to staff myself is mind boggling but I'm open to comment -

sorry if you have had this thread before, I tried a search but it's a hard concept to look up

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Here in the Lone Star State of Texas, cities are permitted to have separate Planning and Zoning Commissions, basically divided as you said.

The Planning Commission would be responsible for the Comp Plan, master thoroughfare plan, etc. The Zoning Commission would do the zoning, site plans, etc.

However, MOST cities in Texas combine them into a single Planning & Zoning Commission that does everything. Thus, you'll hear Texas planners use the term "P&Z" to refer to their planning commission.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2002

Burlington, VT

Burlington, VT, has such an arrangement. You can check on their web site. Here in MA. as you may remember, we tend to have both a Zoning Board of Appeals and a Planning Board, both for permitting. Then any long-range planning is done by ad-hoc committees formed on the run or, occasionally, as an add-on by the Planning Board.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Peoria, IL is broke into a Planning and seperate Zoning Commission.

The Zoning Commission handles special use requests and text changes.

Planning Commission handles subdivisions/plats, and comp planning or other area planning projects.

See our Code, Article 2 of Appendix B on www.municode.com
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    Peoria, IL is broke into a Planning and seperate Zoning Commission.

The Zoning Commission handles special use requests and text changes.

Planning Commission handles subdivisions/plats, and comp planning or other area planning projects.

See our Code, Article 2 of Appendix B on www.municode.com
    In Montana, CITIES have a similar arrangement. COUNTIES do not- and we are trying to figure out how to make it possible, because we're about to ramp up into a pretty major long range planning process and we need to have a board that can concentrate on long range issues.

I think the key is going to be your statutes...

good luck!

Separate Commissions?

I worked for a city in Texas that (before my time) had a separate Planning Commission and Zoning Commission. These were combined for a couple of reasons:
    1. Staffing two separate commissions was more time-intensive
    2. More importantly, staff found that when the group looking at development review was not the same as those developing long-range plans, there was a disconnect and lack of understanding between the two. In other words, the day-to-day decisions were less likely to be influenced by the goals and policies established by the Comp Plan, because the people making those decisions were not involved in preparing or adopting those plans.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    thanks everyone - I got the manager to shelve it because he and I agree on the time-intensive thing - I have enough on my plate

and on statutes - ha - this is new england, home rule baby, we can do whatever we want - home rule don't need no stinkin' statutes! [insert evil laugh]

Registered
    May 1997
    It is quite common in Vermont, lp. We have a separate planning commission and a development review board. I highly recommend it. And while I know you have a lot on your plate, I suspect that this arrangement might actually save you time, in the long run. In the short run, it does require two sets of notices, minutes, etc.

PS: Re ok_planner's about the problem with the separation of responsibilities. It could happen, but we remedy that with good communication and regular joint meetings.

Registered
    Aug 2005

Danger, there's a breakdown dead ahead...

Here's an update to this thread that I had started:

Last night, the Council, in their infinite wisdom, came up with the following approach that the Planning Baord had previously come up with and supported:

PLANNING BOARD RESTRUCTURING IDEAS:

•Planning Board with 2 sub-boards (design review & application review); no overlap.
    •If an application needs design review, it can be reviewed as part of the application review. This would streamline the process for some applicants with no need to put applicant through two reviews.

PLANNING BOARD:
    There are 3 standing members of the Planning Board and:
    • The Chairs of each sub-board are ex officio members (voting) of principle board and can make suggestions from their respective groups
    •Total of 5 members

Planning board reports to town council
    Council delegates functions to planning board
    Sub-boards made up of 4 individuals plus chair-person, for a total of 5 members
    When they asked my opinion, I wanted to say NFW you are ruining my life but how can I speak against the Board publicly, and besides, many people have said that segregating Board into planning and regulation works well, I'm just not sure this will work so well...

Registered
    May 1997
    This is different. And it certainly is not the type of separation I was thinking about. Maybe home rule is not always such a good idea?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Sep 2005, 2:14 PM
  2. Planning board relevance
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Sep 2005, 2:10 PM
  3. Planning board training
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 31 Aug 2005, 11:02 AM