Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My kid just got suspended from school for a day

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My kid just got suspended from school for a day. The class bully was whacking him in the head last week, and Conner kicked him in the nuts and belted him in the face. They both got a "talking to". Today the bully threw a paper clip that hit Conner in the eye, so he punched him in the gut. My kid's suspended because he "overreacted". Sheesh. I had to come home and lecture him. Secretly, I'm not that mad that he defended himself against a much bigger kid.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    My kid just got suspended from school for a day. The class bully was whacking him in the head last week, and Conner kicked him in the nuts and belted him in the face. They both got a "talking to". Today the bully threw a paper clip that hit Conner in the eye, so he punched him in the gut. My kid's suspended because he "overreacted". Sheesh. I had to come home and lecture him. Secretly, I'm not that mad that he defended himself against a much bigger kid.
    They should both get a suspension. Violence is not the answer, but I would still take him for ice cream for standing up for himself. Sounds like the principal is chicken-sh** if you ask me. When I beat the s*** out of the class bully in 7th grade all I got was ISS while he got the boot for nine weeks at the alternative campus (3 strikes suspension rule). The Principal also gave me a pat on the back for putting the troublemaker in his place since he knew me as the class clown not prone to aggression.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Oh Yeah....

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    They should both get a suspension. Violence is not the answer, but I would still take him for ice cream for standing up for himself. Sounds like the principal is chicken-sh** if you ask me. When I beat the s*** out of the class bully in 7th grade all I got was ISS while he got the boot for nine weeks at the alternative campus (3 strikes suspension rule). The Principal also gave me a pat on the back for putting the troublemaker in his place since he knew me as the class clown not prone to aggression.
    My encounter with a class bully and there were three in my class of 21 from elementary through 10th Grade:

Had a big bully charge me on the playground once, just stepped aside and let him fall flat on his face Both of us were called into the "office" and my story (with witness verification) was more credible, which meant I didn't receive something like 10 smacks with the paddle from hell (had holes in it so it could be swung faster and more accurately ) never had a problem with him again.....

Any of you degenerates out there in Cyburbia ever been spanked back in the old days at school with the paddle???
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Any of you degenerates out there in Cyburbia ever been spanked back in the old days at school with the paddle???
    Raising my hand from the corner of the room!
    7th grade...got in a fight in gym class when a guy slammed me into the bleachers while playing "field hockey" in the gym. I turned around and just started wailing on this kid. So they sent me to the principal's office who called in one of the history teachers to adminster the punishment. He played for three seasons for the L.A. Dodgers! Needless to say, I couldn't sit for the next few periods and my teachers allowed me to stand in the rear of the room. 10 swats with a paddle that was about 2' long, 4 inches wide and drilled with holes for greater "bat speed."
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Aug 2001
    .....Any of you degenerates out there in Cyburbia ever been spanked back in the old days at school with the paddle???
    I was an angel in school so I was never spanked.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I got the strap a few times. Think a leather strap, about 18 inches long and 4 wide that they would slap your hands with.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2003
    My encounter with a class bully and there were three in my class of 21 from elementary through 10th Grade:

Had a big bully charge me on the playground once, just stepped aside and let him fall flat on his face Both of us were called into the "office" and my story (with witness verification) was more credible, which meant I didn't receive something like 10 smacks with the paddle from hell (had holes in it so it could be swung faster and more accurately ) never had a problem with him again.....

I have twice. Once was for breakdancing in the bathroom in 4th grade.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I got my mouth washed out with soap once. That was the 80s, before everyone would sue the school. That learned me pretty good not to talk bad words...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    I have twice. Once was for breakdancing in the bathroom in 4th grade.
    I got paddled at Gattis Junior High School in Clovis, New Mexico. Paddling was as much a mental torture than anything else, because the shop teacher/football coach insisted on making you build your own paddle for a future whoppin'. The assistant principal had me assume the position a day after notifying me that I had a paddlin' coming. The offense I hear you ask?!? Well, as many of you know I have an itchy middle finger and it flicked upward from a clinched fist in the direction of a girl I was friends with in retaliation for an earlier such incedent in which I was the recipeint of the offense. Well, the bus driver saw me and not her. I was framed.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I got paddled at Gattis Junior High School in Clovis, New Mexico.
    You lived in Clovis? I'm curious - does the phrase "pre-Clovis" mean anything to you?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    You lived in Clovis? I'm curious - does the phrase "pre-Clovis" mean anything to you?
    The answer is yes. It does.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    The answer is yes. It does.
    That is a LOAD off my mind!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Bump - split from RTDNTOTO

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Dealing with a bully is worth getting suspended over. Guess I am literally "old school", but in my day, you young whippersnappers, we didn't take any crap off of bullies at school. My older brother got suspended for beating up a fellow student. I almost got suspended for the same. Young boys and fighting are almost a certainty. My mom would actually referee fights between her son and another boys.

Just last week my four year old son got hit by some kid at the playground. He came running to me. I told him to go play and if the kid hit him again, he should hit him back. The kid did and my son hit him. The two of them exchanged ineffectual punches for a moment then started laughing and then began playing together. It is a guy thing.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

otterpop....keeps setting me up.......

Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    .....The two of them exchanged ineffectual punches for a moment then started laughing and then began playing together. It is a guy thing.
    Candidates for joining Fight Club.......
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Your son did the right thing. Even if he got suspended, he is learning to defend himself and not let others walk all over him. That's an important skill as there are "bullies" in the adult world as well (they just use non-violent methods instead). I would rather my kid get suspended for putting a bully in his place than go through the daily anguish of being tormented by some asshole kid.

I never got in many fights in school, but there was one in particular that I'll never forget:

My freshman year of highschool there was one guy on the bus who made a routine of picking on me. I tried to ignore him but it just never stopped. My friends had convinced me that I shouldn't try to do anything about it since he was much bigger than me (football player.... I was in band). Well, one day I finally got sick of it and went home all pissed off. My dad asked me what was wrong and I told him the whole story. I'll never forget what he said, "Boy, either you kick his ass or I'm going to kick your ass. Don't you ever let someone push you around." The next evening we had an absolute war on the way home. I ended up with a broken nose and he had lumps on his face, but that was the end of it. He never talked to me or even looked at me again.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I was a nerdy little geek (still am, but...). One of the local hoods decided to pick on me while we were all riding on the school bus (NOT! the Short Bus, I'll have you know!). Finally, I got sick of it and turned around and put him in a headlock. I got a temporary suspension from the bus, but the kid never bothered me again and in fact was always rather "watch out for him" to me.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    When I was in 4th grade, the 6th grade bully started to pick on me about something. He had done it several times, but this time I was sick of it. The kid had a reputation (even all the parents knew about the kid). One day he said something to me during a heated soccer game at recess. I kicked the ball at him, it hit him in t he nuts, and down he went. The game stopped, all of the kids looked around with stunned looks, and I walked over, cocked my leg, and hit him squarely in the nuts again, just in time for the principal to see it.

Mom got called into the office and stood up for me, saying it was about time someone did that to the kid. The principal agreed, and suspended the bully (it was his third suspension that year, and he was gone from then on out). It was the last fight or as close to a fight that I have been in. Whats funny, is that I developed a reputation as a kid not to mess with after that and that reputation lasted all through high school, even though I was not a big kid by any stretch of the imagination.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I would call the principal and tell him that you would like to meet with him in your office. Tell him that if he is not man enough to control the bullies in his school, your kid is. Tell him that something will be done or the school board will be called in to correct the situation. Principals hate stuff like that.

BUT

Make sure your kid does not end up becoming a bully himself.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    In our school district ALL kids involved in a fight are suspended...leaves the parent in an odd situation...I don't ever want to teach my kid to fight but I definately want to teach him to stick up for himself, and according to the districts policy, if he does that he will be suspended...(I still teach him to beat the $hit out of someone if they are bullying him , perhaps violence is not the answer but neither is getting picked on)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    In our school district ALL kids involved in a fight are suspended...leaves the parent in an odd situation...
    This is apparently not an uncommon policy. I guess from the school's standpoint it makes sense because both parties 99% of the time are going to be saying "well, HE started it!" "uh uhh, HE did!" and this elimintes the administration from having to determine guilt or innocence or have to endure the finger pointing.....on the other hand, if you're the kid that's going to get suspended because some other idiot attacks you, I guess you've got nothing to lose by pulling out all the stops and cleaning the clock of whomever started it.

So justice can potentially still be served as long as one is able to kick the agressor's arse.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I had a throw down with a bully in 5th grade. I was smart enough to know that i shouldn't "win" because he brought all of his dirtbag friends but we wound up giving each other black eyes and he left me alone after that.

When i changed schools i had another showdown with a 7th grade bully. He took to tripping me in the hallways or knocking my books down. One day at recess he tried to take a cheap shot at me while playing soccer but missed. I walked over to him and hit him in the face hard enough that he was either afraid of getting hit again or afraid of getting caught. He lost a lot of cred. for not retaliating - then i had the satisfaction of making him cry by calling him out on it in the classroom.

i always find it funny that no one ever owns up to being a bully - not that they're ever hard to spot as adults.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    In our school district ALL kids involved in a fight are suspended...leaves the parent in an odd situation...I don't ever want to teach my kid to fight but I definately want to teach him to stick up for himself, and according to the districts policy, if he does that he will be suspended...(I still teach him to beat the $hit out of someone if they are bullying him , perhaps violence is not the answer but neither is getting picked on)
    I think that if that is the case, the person who ‘started’ the fight and there are teachers or other faculty to back that up, then they should get twice the penalty as the other person. I also subscribe to the 3rd man rule in hockey. The 3rd person in (unless he/she is trying to pull the other person out of the fight) should get twice the penalty.

Someday when I am a Dad I am going to tell my son that I never want to hear of him starting a fight. But if he someone else does, end it by winning or walk away.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Ah school bullies, while physical confrontation is the best response when it's a physical bully (whacking, tripping, shoving, etc) for psychological bullies (menacing, name-calling, etc) the best response to that is flat out ignoring them.... they want attention and if you answer to them or let their stupid pranks get to you, you're giving them what they want. Worked wonders for me...

Am I the only one aware that schools are run exactly like prisons? When you get in a fight to defend yourself in prison they put you in isolation. When you get in a fight in school to defend yourself you get suspended.

No one seems to be questioning why kids have to get into fights in the first place. Where is the adult supervision?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 29 May 2012, 11:22 AM