Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sunshine laws and lawyers

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This morning I opened up my work email to this:

We have heard that (developer) is proposing to have a meeting with you or some of your staff sometime this week. As we have previously stated and noticed you, we would want to sit in on any meeting between public officials and (developer) or any of its member or legal counsel. If we are not informed of the meetings and discover that they have occurred we would have no choice but to bring charges based on violations of the Sunshine Laws and other Florida Statutes as may be applicable.
    Jerk lawyer.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    This morning I opened up my work email to this:

Jerk lawyer.
    A lawyer wrote that? Isn't it worded oddly. I get to look forward to dealing with a jerk lawyer today too.
    SHe wrote a letter to the commission explaining that I was wrong in a decision and that I needed to learn that in this community things are done on a handshake.

I told the commission that just because she got her law degree and stationary didn't keep her from lying.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    I told the commission that just because she got her law degree and stationary didn't keep her from lying.
    DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE !!!!

Alright, do I need to step in here. You tell your Commissions, lawyer friends and the whole damned County that I'll see them on the last Thursday of this month for a pizzing match Roy Al.

RJ, are staff meetings subject to sunshine laws in Florida? That would seem a tadbit excessive and bizarre since there aren't any elected or appointed officials involved? Unless your attorney is elected/appointed.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    RJ, are staff meetings subject to sunshine laws in Florida? That would seem a tadbit excessive and bizarre since there aren't any elected or appointed officials involved? Unless your attorney is elected/appointed.
    No, they're not subject to public notice laws, so they're exempt, even if the lawyer is there.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Quote Originally posted by ZG
    No, they're not subject to public notice laws, so they're exempt, even if the lawyer is there.
    She's correct. It doesn't apply to me rather it's directed at elected and appointed members of boards and commissions in meetings where decisions are made.

BTW, it's not the first time he's sent me threatening emails. We've directed our land use attorney to straighten him out (read that: hand him his arse).
    Annoyingly insensitive

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 36
    Last post: 13 Sep 2013, 9:41 AM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last post: 15 Jul 2005, 3:55 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Apr 2005, 3:46 AM
  4. At least it was not full of Lawyers!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2