Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fantastic Advertising Campaigns

Registered
    Oct 2001

Fantastic Advertising Campaigns

I know "Consumerism" is evil, and I generally detest the constant barrage of advertising we are subjected to. (I still love the book Egotopia, by John Miller, which disects the culture of the Modern Man so well).

Nonetheless, there are advertisements that are just so FUNNY that I can't help but admire them. Volkswagen has a new campaign called Unpimp Your Ride that is a screamingly funny laugh at the expense of modern pop culture. I just can't stop laughing at it.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/02/...y-ride-videos/

Feel free to add on.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sony's advertisements for its new Bravia line of LCD TVs.

http://www.bravia-advert.com/

Yes those are real bouncy balls. No CG here.

Time to unpimps zee auto, those are amusing.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Nonetheless, there are advertisements that are just so FUNNY that I can't help but admire them. Volkswagen has a new campaign called Unpimp Your Ride that is a screamingly funny laugh at the expense of modern pop culture. I just can't stop laughing at it.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/02/...y-ride-videos/

Feel free to add on.
    That guy reminded me of Dieter, one of Mike Myers SNL characters....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    That guy reminded me of Dieter, one of Mike Myers SNL characters....
    Yep! Outdoes Dieter! He is, of course, American, not German.

I love the woman in the naughty nurse outfit. "You get an "F" and it reads "The Lame."

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    Sony's advertisements for its new Bravia line of LCD TVs.

http://www.bravia-advert.com/

Yes those are real bouncy balls. No CG here.

I love the song in this advert. It's a stripped down, folksy cover by a Swedish-born Argentinian of a techno song by another Swedish group.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Whoever is the ad corp for Target is amazing - who could make buying toilet paper so cool other than a Target ad?

Graphics, animation, cinema - it's all there - great stuff!

I noticed Wal-Mart and KMart ads have tried to look cool with transition scenes and all but it just looks lame after Target, imho

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mentarman
    I love the song in this advert. It's a stripped down, folksy cover by a Swedish-born Argentinian of a techno song by another Swedish group.
    I thought The Knife were British. *shrug*

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Yep! Outdoes Dieter! He is, of course, American, not German.

I love the woman in the naughty nurse outfit. "You get an "F" and it reads "The Lame."
    How can you tell he is American?

I just saw this ad in the last few days. The 1st one is the best. 10 years ago, I don't think the concept of refering to something as "pimped out" even existed in pop culture. Now that the phrase is commonplace, this flips it on its head. Suddenly, the guy in the el cheapo hyundai isn't the one who's unhip - it's the guy in the souped up, "check me out" car.

I can see myself starting to use the word "unpimp".
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    Thumbs up
    Whoever is the ad corp for Target is amazing - who could make buying toilet paper so cool other than a Target ad?

Graphics, animation, cinema - it's all there - great stuff!

I noticed Wal-Mart and KMart ads have tried to look cool with transition scenes and all but it just looks lame after Target, imho
    I concur - The Target ads are actually entertaining.

I don't think they're showing the Brevia Ad in the U.S. It had to be shot in San Francisco though right, abrowne? I doubt they cleaned up every one of those balls, but it was a neat idea for an ad.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Wasn't that guy the surgeon who took out Tom Cruise's eyeballs in Minority Report?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq
    How can you tell he is American?
    A friend and VW nut told me the name of the Actor-and he is an American. I was commenting on the exageration involved, not making a disparaging remark.

I just saw this ad in the last few days. The 1st one is the best. 10 years ago, I don't think the concept of refering to something as "pimped out" even existed in pop culture. Now that the phrase is commonplace, this flips it on its head. Suddenly, the guy in the el cheapo hyundai isn't the one who's unhip - it's the guy in the souped up, "check me out" car.

I can see myself starting to use the word "unpimp".
    The ad is making me want to drive over to Watson Auto Baody to ask them "How much to remove the spoiler" on my evil boy toy.
    Last edited by nerudite; 02 Mar 2006 at 6:01 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq
    I concur - The Target ads are actually entertaining.

I don't think they're showing the Brevia Ad in the U.S. It had to be shot in San Francisco though right, abrowne? I doubt they cleaned up every one of those balls, but it was a neat idea for an ad.
    Yeah, it was shot in San Fran, and no, they aren't showing it in the U.S. It would be cool if they did.

The music in the Target ads is often very interesting, too. Nice to see them using non-typical stuff.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Aug 2012, 12:22 PM
  2. Can You Trip The Light Fantastic?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 17 Sep 2010, 7:23 PM
  3. Advertising?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1