Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Domestic Airlines

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

The Domestic Airlines

This could have gone into the transportation topic, but I think it will degenerate.

[rant] I really miss the good old days of stricter federal regulation of the airlines. Tonight, I booked two flights next month to visit the Ms. Z Goddess. Two weekends, two weeks apart but about $150 difference on the round trip tix for the weekends. On one of the flights I could fly to France for what Iím pay for an intra-Florida flight. I get the feeling I'm subsidizing the international flyers. And each month, the departure times change. I hate Delta Airlines like the plague, but theyíre my only option. Come on, Southwest, get in here. Arrrrgh!

Didnít the old CAB regulate this sort of behavior to the benefit of the consumer? And didnít President Reagan abolish the CAB along with the air traffic controllers union? Iím too damn lazy to perform a Google search tonight. [/rant off]

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Ugh... Around here we practically have ONE airline that services the country. There are 2 small ones with very limited domestic destinations, none of them fly to Valdivia, leaving us merciless to the power of the big monopolic one. And that's reason #1 of why I don't fly much

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Midwest Airlines Rocks! Ummmm.....hot cookies at 35,000 feet....leather seats....being treated like a human....ummmm.....good.

I'm just going to point out that you contradict yourself by first demanding government regulation, then wishing for more competition (Southwest entering your local market).

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I hate Delta Airlines like the plague

I agree with you RJ. After having only 1 good experience with them, I refuse to fly Delta. My travel agency know better than to even offer Delta flights to me. There is a reason they are in bankruptcy. I agree about having more, limited regulation on the airlines. The free market doesn't always provide the answers and is not the end all-be all.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Delta - I also had a bad experience and have not flown on them since.
    US Airways - Mad at since they pulled out of my fair city.
    NW - Have not tried.
    American - favorite by default.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I logged about 80,000 miles last year. Never had a problem on Midwest. Never had a problem on American. Even Northwest did alright the time I flew them. American? Every time I fly American it is a miserable experience.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Midwest Airlines Rocks! Ummmm.....hot cookies at 35,000 feet....leather seats....being treated like a human....ummmm.....good.

Here is something odd Midwest does not Fly into Detroit or O'Hare, therefore most midwesterners don't really fly it. I've heard great things about this airline though and am jelous of those in Milaukee where it is a hub.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Every time I fly American it is a miserable experience.
    Being a travelocity/expedia/orbitz/tightwad flyer who has generally lived in places with lots of airline options, I've flown all sorts of different airlines in the last five years or so. I've found that I can't confine my miserable experiences to any particular airlines. I'll find one that I think is really good (ATA) and then they'll do something stupid. Or I'll have a terrible experience (America West) and then the next time I fly they'll be wonderful. In general, my worst experiences have been with the old, established airlines (United and American), but not always.

I just flew Delta and United this weekend between Toronto and Cincinnati and everything went rather nicely (even with a layover at O'Hare, which is usually the kiss of death for on-time flying). The best thing about Delta - they have Biscoff!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by geobandito
    ...The best thing about Delta - they have Biscoff!
    Love those things! US Airways has them too.

Registered
    May 1997
    I am going to defend Delta. I don't fly much anymore, but when I flew three or four times a month, my favorite national airline was Delta, with Northwest running in second place. I avoided United when I could (my luck with them has been a little better lately, though), likewise American. And I seemed to have a terrible curse with AmericaWest. The best airlines were the regionals - Skywest and Horizon.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Those of us in smaller metropolitan markets have to take what we can get. I just booked a flight to Tucson and while I had four or five airlines from which to choose, scheduling issues reduced that list to two. I ended up with Delta, the less expensive option. I just cross my fingers and hope for the best. (Actually, the only really bad airline experience I had was with People's Express. Remember them?)

Uh, what's Biscoff?

I'm in the same boat as Mud Princess -- I'm hostage to a small market. My upcoming flight to Manchester, NH had a wide variety of airlines, but all of them had substantive layovers (4 hours in Deee-Troit?). If it was just me traveling, or just me and Mrs. G., we'd find a way to handle it (Bartender! ). But traveling with the kids (ages 9 and 6), and a four hour layover is unacceptable.

Southwest had the shortest layovers via Baltimore, so that's how we're going.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ....Never had a problem on American.... Every time I fly American it is a miserable experience.
    Which is it?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess
    Uh, what's Biscoff?
    The best snack you'll ever eat on an airplane.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Guess I've been lucky, never had a problem with Delta, Southwest, or jet Blue. America West is another story.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Never had a problem really with anybody. I will typically fly Northwest or United out of Denver. I have enjoyed Alaska as well, eventhough I was delayed in Seattle once and they lost my bags on the Portland to Denver leg of my last trip out of town.

It has been probably 10 years since I flew American and Delta and Frontier is Denver-based, but don't fly anywhere I frequent-although I have heard good things.

I'm an easy going guy though, so when flying gets tough I tend to roll with it... and head back to the airport bar.
    I find it funny when folks yell and scream when the flight is delayed due to repair issues with the plane-- I'd rather wait two hours for a working MD-80 than hurry my ass on the plane just to kiss it goodbye on the climb out over the Cascades (to borrow from my Seattle experience...)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    jaws: Seriously. Are you like this all the time or do you have other interests?

I bet you don't get invited to many parties...
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Off-topic:

Off-topic:
    Someone had to say it...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Off-topic:
    Someone had to say it...
    Off-topic:
    I was going to respond but I didn’t understand the correlation between regulation and competition. I guess I’m just simple-minded.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I logged about 80,000 miles last year. Never had a problem on Midwest. Never had a problem on American. Even Northwest did alright the time I flew them. American? Every time I fly American it is a miserable experience.
    My bad. Really bad. American has been good to me. I menat to say that United sucks. Let me say it again. United sucks.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I don't fly much because I am completely phobic. Last month Southwest had a great internet fare to APA in San Antonio. I waited a couple days to book, for payday. In the meantime they instituted a "blackout" week for FL so I could only get the lower rate coming home. that's cheating!

Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Off-topic:

I am just a humble educator out to fix the goddamn world.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Helena is a small airline market. We have two major carriers that each have two flights a day. Then there is Big Sky Airlines. Never fly Big Sky if you are heading for a vacation including a theme park. The theme park rides will seem much safer and a lot less thrilling.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

All domestic airlines have gotten crappy, in my opinion. It's not their fault, really - they are catering to the lowest common denominator anymore. I am forever horrified by my fellow passengers' behavior - and feel eternally sympathetic to the flight staff and what they put up with. It's just another indication of the lack of courtesy in our society. They are now the post-modern equivalent of Greyhound Bus Lines.

Admittedly, some are worse than others.

ATA - OK for the short haul stuff, like BOS - MID
    Delta - ICK!
    Airtran - had great experience! reasonable and nice
    NWA - all right, but their KLM codeshare flights are painful!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. I just love Delta Airlines
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 11 Sep 2009, 8:54 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 29 Jun 2009, 7:59 PM
  3. Improve Domestic Affairs?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9