Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why do current artists insist on calling their music "R&B"?

Registered
    Feb 2004

Why do current artists insist on calling their music "R&B"?

Curmudgeon rant #22: It probably shouldn't bother me, but darnit it does. WHY do current artists insist on calling their music "R&B"? What they are doing has next to nothing to do with 'rhythm and blues'. R&B was a highly creative art form that enjoyed its Golden Age in the 50's - 60's. http://www.rhythmandtheblues.org.uk/pdhist2.shtml
    What passes for R&B nowadays isn't that great IMO.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Curmudgeon rant #22: It probably shouldn't bother me, but darnit it does. WHY do current artists insist on calling their music "R&B"? What they are doing has next to nothing to do with 'rhythm and blues'. R&B was a highly creative art form that enjoyed its Golden Age in the 50's - 60's. http://www.rhythmandtheblues.org.uk/pdhist2.shtml
    What passes for R&B nowadays isn't that great IMO.
    One could make the same argument for Rock and Roll or Country and Western. They don't sound anything like they did in the 50's and 60's

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    One could make the same argument for Rock and Roll or Country and Western. They don't sound anything like they did in the 50's and 60's
    Yeah, but at least with rock or country you can track a clear progression/evolution of sound through various artists. I don't believe the same could be done here. Soul "ended" in the early 80's and the label 'R&B' suddenly emerges in the late 90's with no apparent artistic connection to it's earlier appelation.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Yeah, but at least with rock or country you can track a clear progression/evolution of sound through various artists. I don't believe the same could be done here. Soul "ended" in the early 80's and the label 'R&B' suddenly emerges in the late 90's with no apparent artistic connection to it's earlier appelation.
    Interesting Wiki article on R&B What is considered R&B today covers a wide variety of music. Looks like Quiet Storm is closest to traditional R&B.

Why am I researching R&B intead of working I'll try to revisit this later

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Bump - split from RTDNTOTA

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 6:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 9:38 AM