Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dark meat

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have notice here of late that everywhere i go it is "All White Meat Chicken this" and All White Meat Chicken That". So i am wondering is what is happening to all the dark meat? Is there a farms that raise parapeligic chickens? Or does the demand for dark meat balance out for that with white meat? I spent some time working in a chicken farm in High School and College and every chicken i saw had two breast, two thighs, two legs, and two wings. So does anyone have any theories or thoughts on this?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    ^^^ I'm not even going to touch that one. ^^^

Ok maybe just a little.

My college girlfriend left me because she preferred Dark meat...
    Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl
    I have notice here of late that everywhere i go it is "All White Meat Chicken this" and All White Meat Chicken That". So i am wondering is what is happening to all the dark meat? Is there a farms that raise parapeligic chickens? Or does the demand for dark meat balance out for that with white meat? I spent some time working in a chicken farm in High School and College and every chicken i saw had two breast, two thighs, two legs, and two wings. So does anyone have any theories or thoughts on this?
    From Diabetes Self-Management http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/print.cfm?aid=885

Cooked skinless light chicken meat is 33% to 80% leaner than cooked beef, depending on the beef's cut and grade. Yet chicken is comparable to beef in quantity of protein, vitamins, and minerals (except that beef has slightly more iron and zinc).
    Still, not all chicken is created equal: A 3 1/2-ounce cooked portion of white meat without skin contains about 4 grams of fat, while the same size portion of skinless dark meat has close to 10 grams of fat. Skinless dark chicken meat supplies the same amount of fat as light meat with skin. Dark meat with the skin is the fattiest combination of all, with about 16 grams of fat per 3 1/2-ounce roasted portion.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The KFC north of work here advertised an all dark meat meal sometime ago, if that helps you...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I have notice here of late that everywhere i go it is "All White Meat Chicken this" and All White Meat Chicken That". So i am wondering is what is happening to all the dark meat?
    That's a good question. I have to admit that with all of these genetic enhanced/altered birds pecking around out there, I can't find my way around the anatomy of the bird on my plate. I opened a "family pack" of chicken breasts today and based on the size of the package, I figured there were probably 6 breasts in there... WRONG !!!! There were only 4 and 3 of them were a Double D size. I've seen well endowed women with smaller breasts than what I just smacked on my grill. These things may take a month to cook and I'll have to dig 3 inches deep into the meat to see if it's done. WTF?????

Quote Originally posted by Big Red
    My college girlfriend left me because she preferred Dark meat...
    Hey man, it's all pink on the inside. Been there, done that, bought the matching socks and cravat combo.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    May 2003
    Presumably the dark meat is going the way of the muffin stems.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    At Publix you can pick up a bucket of fried chicken with your choice of either mixed white/dark or all dark. My kid likes the dark, so that's what we usually get.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    From Diabetes Self-Management http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/print.cfm?aid=885

Cooked skinless light chicken meat is 33% to 80% leaner than cooked beef, depending on the beef's cut and grade. Yet chicken is comparable to beef in quantity of protein, vitamins, and minerals (except that beef has slightly more iron and zinc).
    Still, not all chicken is created equal: A 3 1/2-ounce cooked portion of white meat without skin contains about 4 grams of fat, while the same size portion of skinless dark meat has close to 10 grams of fat. Skinless dark chicken meat supplies the same amount of fat as light meat with skin. Dark meat with the skin is the fattiest combination of all, with about 16 grams of fat per 3 1/2-ounce roasted portion.
    But they never compare dark chicken meat to beef; I assume it's still significantly leaner than beef, but they don't say.

I think they use the dark meat for nuggets and extruded things like that.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Dark meat works better for making stocks and soup bases. Ever try to make a chicken stock with skinless chicken breasts.. it turns out rather bland.

Dark meat is commonly used for processed chicken products and it wouldn't surprise me if much of the dark meat i recycled and fed to the chickens themselves.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Dark meat, white meat, it's all meat to me so bring it on... I'll eat if it's meat

I'll worry about clogging arteries later...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Dark meat, white meat, it's all meat to me so bring it on... I'll eat if it's meat

I'll worry about clogging arteries later...
    Off-topic:
    Sounds just like Atkins... sure you aren't on a fad diet and don't want to fess up?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Street meat
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 02 May 2012, 4:27 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Jul 2008, 2:26 PM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last post: 21 Aug 2006, 1:35 PM
  4. Grow Your Own Meat!
    Friday Afternoon Club