Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Some decent Florida architecture

Registered
    Jan 2005

Some decent Florida architecture

The first is a condominium building in a neotraditional neighborhood. The other are office buildings. Overall I find this style much more appealing than the Mediterranean-inspired junk that gets built down here with ugly barrel tile roofs and fake dormers and all that crap. I particularly like the low-slung office building design and sleek roof structure. Curious to hear what our resident architectural critics think.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller

The first is a condominium building in a neotraditional neighborhood. The other are office buildings. Overall I find this style much more appealing than the Mediterranean-inspired junk that gets built down here with ugly barrel tile roofs and fake dormers and all that crap. I particularly like the low-slung office building design and sleek roof structure. Curious to hear what our resident architectural critics think.

I'm no architctural critic, but I do have a little bias going against stucco. The buildings themselves look pretty compact and functional... a bonus. But, (I'm sorry to say this...) BORING. Could just be the colour scheme, or, as mentioned before, the exhausting use use of pale yellow stucco. It's nice to see some compact land use and unpretentious designs though.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    That's decent for Florida? Eep. Not to dismiss your finds outright... I'm just surprised is all.

It's still pomo-cliché. They go through a lot of trouble to break the symmetry on some of the roofs, and for some reason they try to make four different homes look like one big mansion in the first pictures.

I award it my highest florida rating: tolerable.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    It sure beats much of what I remember from my short period in florida (the better parts of Miami aside). Sadly, it's a little better than the typical California stuff. California Public Works Departments HATE alleys.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    for some reason they try to make four different homes look like one big mansion in the first pictures.

Wasn't it you the other day who throughly approved of Nash's Cumberland Tce, while far more sucessful; ('twas either you or Luca, cant actually find the thread) it equally attempts to disguise the individual terrace homes as a mansion.

Setting aside the 'minor' fact that this is dodgy and Cumberland Tce is beautiful, what is fundamentally wrong with a little deception?

Quote Originally posted by chukky
    Wasn't it you the other day who throughly approved of Nash's Cumberland Tce, while far more sucessful; ('twas either you or Luca, cant actually find the thread) it equally attempts to disguise the individual terrace homes as a mansion.

Setting aside the 'minor' fact that this is dodgy and Cumberland Tce is beautiful, what is fundamentally wrong with a little deception?
    Cumberland terrace is not a mansion, it's a terrace. It is its own building typology. The massive scale of the building makes it obvious that it couldn't be anything else than a terrace building. It thus stands on its own.

What we have here are groups of quadruplexes one after another, trying to emulate a group of mansions one after another. The buildings try to imitate something the residents wish they could have but actually don't, a true mansion, instead of embelishing what they do have.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    It's still pomo-cliché. They go through a lot of trouble to break the symmetry on some of the roofs, and for some reason they try to make four different homes look like one big mansion in the first pictures.
    Mansion? Am I missing something? It looks like a Hope VI housing project to me, except not as attractive:

http://www.bostonhousing.org/detpages/deptinfo154.html

http://www.bostonapartments.com/missionmain.htm

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Mansion? Am I missing something? It looks like a Hope VI housing project to me, except not as attractive:

http://www.bostonhousing.org/detpages/deptinfo154.html

http://www.bostonapartments.com/missionmain.htm
    or, a typical suburban garden apartment complex from the 1970s with the only exception being that the parking is hidden behind the complex instead of right out front.

jaws has a point here. The suburban ideology is apartments = evil and McMansions =The American Dream, so apartments have to mimic the mansion. Celebration is still built by mass market builders as a "product" all in big blobs. It's another boring "planned community" even if parts of it is better looking than the standard (it helps to have Disney Corporation playing the role of Duke or Earl here.)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    or, a typical suburban garden apartment complex from the 1970s with the only exception being that the parking is hidden behind the complex instead of right out front.

jaws has a point here. The suburban ideology is apartments = evil and McMansions =The American Dream, so apartments have to mimic the mansion. Celebration is still built by mass market builders as a "product" all in big blobs. It's another boring "planned community" even if parts of it is better looking than the standard (it helps to have Disney Corporation playing the role of Duke or Earl here.)
    I agree that the units are deserving of some individual articulation, however I think you guys would then be complaining about that as unauthentic as well. BTW I'm not sure if a knock-off of some stacked flats or brownstones would look any better.The reality is that the urban environments neotraditionalist builders use as inspiration must be retrofitted for suburbia is they are to gain market acceptance. Builders could care less about emulating traditional urban typologies, especially if it will cost them more money.

What the developers of this community are doing is using the elements of neotraditionism that are marketable or interesting in suburbia (walkable streets, on-street parking, rear alleys, public space, mixed-use village centers) to sell their product. And guess what? They got rich because there is a huge demand for this living arrangement, at least here in south Florida.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Sep 2013, 10:32 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Dec 2010, 8:08 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Aug 2009, 6:24 PM
  4. Where to get decent tunes?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 29 Jul 2007, 3:32 PM