1 5.88%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ladies only! The makeup thread!

Registered
    Sep 1999

Ladies only! The makeup thread!

Our turn to tell what we wear and what we like!

I did not wear makeup until my late 20's. At some point, yeah, it makes you look better. How many guys on Cyburbia have professed their need to date only "hot" women? Yeah, some of you guys. Not too many women are naturally gorgeous, and those that are, will need makeup eventually. The rest of us need an edge. The right guy won't care that we look "different" in the morning.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I never wear make-up. A little Retin A in the morning, but that's all.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I never wear make-up. A little Retin A in the morning, but that's all.
    I should have know Mr. Smart-A$$ would be all over this one..

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I wear makeup- but only when i feel like it. Im not heaps fussy on what brands i wear, but i am still on the search for a good mascara....! (any girls got some tips?)

I dont religiously wear makeup, i only do if a can be bothered putting it on, if i am going out on the town or it would look nice. I can live without it definitely.

Dont tend to wear foundation (im lucky i have ok skin) mainly just mascara and lip gloss!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I wear mascara every day and I always have lip gloss handy, but that's it. For special occasions (a night out) I sometimes use a bit more - eyeliner, blusher, maybe eyeshadow. I hate foundation and never wear it.

How many times have I heard guys say they prefer women without makeup, but when we put a little more on than usual, get comments from them like "Wow, you look great tonight, honey!" (that is assuming that 'usual' means not much)

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Hi, my name is JP, and I'm a Clinique fan - especially during the bonus week times. I use a lot of their stuff (foundation, concealer, loose and pressed powder, eyeshadow, and astringent) because it makes my super fair skin look great, the quality is amazing, and it lasts forever. I also use the CoverGirl and Maybelline products for nail polish, mascara, and eyebrow pencils. All of this may be a bit of a luxury, but the bf doesn't seem to mind.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I wear a very sheer oil-free Estee Lauder foundation and concealer and buy everything else on the cheap.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Black eyeliner - that's about it for me. I wore eyeliner and mascara nearly every day from my mid-teens until I reached my late 30s, when I decided that my "look" was really outdated. I stopped wearing makeup completely for a few years, but started again in my 40s.

I've never been interested in wearing a lot of makeup. I look ridiculous in lipstick, and I think eye shadow makes me look like I think it's still 1975.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I put a little bit of foundation on with my lotion just to give a little bit of coverage, and wear powder, blush, eyeliner, eye shadow, mascara and a little bit of lip gloss. I hate have lipstick, especially how it rubs off on cups, etc.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I wear mary kay make up except for their mascara - I have a good friend who sells it - I wear the whole foundation, eye, liner, blush and powder

I have a revlon/loreal set of stuff at work when I am in a rush to get to the office

I didn't wear make up in my 20's and early 30's except when I had a big meeting with a client/board - then I was a big Clinique user and yes on the give-aways, that's when I bought!

when I moved to Maine in 02, now I am an hour away from the nearest mall so I made the switch to Mary Kay

Now that I'm 41, it's a must for me to wear make up, unfortunately

this cold Maine air does a number on wrinkles too, wow

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You're all a bunch of tarts.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    You're all a bunch of tarts.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    OMG, men are taking over the thread! You teases.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    yeah, well we hijacked their "why it's better being a man" thread!

A. I can't be bothered with makeup. (main motivation)
    B. (secondary) I don't want to buy into the culture that says women must wear makeup (or pluck or wear high heels or blah blah blah) to be pretty or sexy.

Plus, it's sad that the first 'ladies only' thread is about makeup. What about real issues for women, like what do you do when you icky boss makes a gross joke about huge breasts in the Monday morning staff meeting? Trying the "not amused, but tolerant of you silly boys" look is hard to pull off and that type of person who'd make such jokes takes anything but hearty "you're the greatest!" laughing as a slap in the face.

I'm definitely not a girly girl. Most of those posts the guys made, I agreed with! I hate talking on the phone, I like to shower and be ready to go in 20 minutes, etc.

I've found that most the people I know have unique characteristics not defined by gender. Some are messy, some are talkative, some take forever to get ready, etc. But they really don't fall along gender lines at all. My sister's the one with the tools in her household and my husband does all the housework.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by jenniplans
    Hi, my name is JP, and I'm a Clinique fan - especially during the bonus week times. I use a lot of their stuff (foundation, concealer, loose and pressed powder, eyeshadow, and astringent) because it makes my super fair skin look great, the quality is amazing, and it lasts forever. I also use the CoverGirl and Maybelline products for nail polish, mascara, and eyebrow pencils. All of this may be a bit of a luxury, but the bf doesn't seem to mind.
    Same for me, except I have medium brown skin. I've been wearing Clinique for years. Their makeup matches my skin perfectly, so it looks very natural on me. Personally, I think I'm hot either with or without makeup and I certainly don't wear it for anyone except for myself.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I answered that I don't wear make-up before I saw this option - I don't wear anything and guys think I'm a lesbian. In which case, they would be right. But I think even if I were straight, I probably wouldn't wear it. But who knows. I don't have a problem with women who wear it (my girlfriend wears a bit) as long as they're doing it for their own reasons and don't feel they have to do it to be feminine. I find the male tendency to label as a lesbian any woman who has short hair and/or doesn't wear make-up annoying.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by geobandito
    I find the male tendency to label as a lesbian any woman who has short hair and/or doesn't wear make-up annoying.
    Me too, but it's not just a male tendency--hetero women do it too.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I wear a little foundation with lotion (fills in these damn lines growing on my face!!), mascara and clear lip gloss.

I never used to wear make-up and I only do now because I feel I look better with it on (plus I grew up with a mother who is a beautician, any of you ladies know a beautician that leaves the house without being full on "decked out"?? I don't )
    I use Clinique mainly because its light and doesnt feel like cake on my face, I use Vicotira Secret lip gloss - girls you gotta try it, its the best!!

And someone was asking about a good mascara, check out Cliniques, they have one thats amazing, I just am not sure which one it is. It may be a little pricey but I gaurantee its the best you'll ever use...I don't like heavy mascaras, I have super long eyelashes and look like I have fake ones on if I use too much mascara...

And as Planderella said, I am hot with or without makeup, I wear it only for myself...I have gone out plenty of nights without makeup on and get hit on just as much as when I get dolled up, I dont think it makes a difference...

And to address the creepy boss comments, girl it happened to me just a few weeks ago...I had a specific person in city hall rubbin my leg at a dinner telling me he would work on my interviewing skill sand resume update anytime I wanted, just stop by his house if saw his car there...told him if he really wanted my skills updated and me out of the City that bad, I would start looking for a new job...said that wasn't what he wanted

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    Me too, but it's not just a male tendency--hetero women do it too.
    ^-- They also have a tendancy to think that all guys who aren't interested in them personally are gay.

The 'women only' thing was for the poll, right?
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    Plus, it's sad that the first 'ladies only' thread is about makeup.
    Actually, we had a women's shoe thread last fall: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ht=shoe+thread

I just started that one because the guys were inundating the FAC with sports stuff and it was the first girly topic I could come up with.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Jordan, why are you reading the makeup thread? I see you!

I'm a Stila and MAC fan but I do buy some cheaper stuff too. I wear it everday, I'm way too pale not to wear something. I've always worn at least mascara and foundation since high school.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Actually, we had a women's shoe thread last fall: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ht=shoe+thread

I just started that one because the guys were inundating the FAC with sports stuff and it was the first girly topic I could come up with.
    oh well shoes, that's socially relevant.
    j/k!

I think most topics can be of interest to any gender and I don't think "girly" topics are the only topics of interest to women. I balk at equating "girly" to woman. When I get together with my woman friends we never talk about makeup or shoes; we talk about movies, books, current events, philosophy.

Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    And to address the creepy boss comments, girl it happened to me just a few weeks ago...I had a specific person in city hall rubbin my leg at a dinner telling me he would work on my interviewing skill sand resume update anytime I wanted, just stop by his house if saw his car there...told him if he really wanted my skills updated and me out of the City that bad, I would start looking for a new job...said that wasn't what he wanted
    So you sorta laughed it off with a "I mean business" undertone?

Seriously, I must be superlucky in that I've worked with mainly professional people over the years. This miscreant I was working with is such an immature unprofessional abusive jerk I can't believe he's for real. How do people like that continue their behavior? Why aren't they stopped?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As a California granola girl, I don't wear make up. If I have a particularly bad skin day, I do wear a little concealer/cover up over a specific area. But that is it. Oh yeah, and I own some lipstick somewhere that I will put on if I'm on t.v. I'm lucky to have pretty nice skin though and hardly any wrinkles (a godsend at my age)... so I'm sticking to au natural!

It's not whether you wear it, it's how you wear it, right Tammy Faye?
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I wear relatively inexpensive makeup- I've become a huge Avon addict. On a normal day I do the whole shebang- foundation, blush, eyeliner, mascara, shadow. I just recently, within the past 6 months, started wearing makeup more than just on special occasions. One co-worker immediately said "WOW! You look fantastic! Did you fall in love or something?" I guess it just adds a little spice to my otherwise palor complexion. Its my experience/opinion that when tastefully done, guys have no idea.

My biggest concern are my huge, dark undereye circles that I cannot do anything about- concealer tends to just migrate to any creases... any suggestions? I look like the living dead most days.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    This thread has me thinking about trends in makeup.

It seems that for the past few years, the trend has been to wear makeup that does not look like you have makeup on. But now, there appears to be a resurgence of the whole glam idea with bright red lipstick going back to the roaring Twenties.

I personally like a traditional Classic Elegance and think that people like Scarlett Johansson has a makeup style that is reminiscent of this.

But that is just what I think.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 14 Nov 2007, 12:49 PM
  2. Gender and racial makeup of urban planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Apr 2006, 5:13 PM
  3. What a turn on for the ladies.