Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: University of Colorado Denver MPA Program

University of Colorado Denver MPA Program

Hi all.

I've been lurking on this board for some time and have utilized your advice (re: Urban Planning Programs) in applying to MPA programs.

That being said, I've come across quite a bit of information regarding UC Denver's MURP Program but not their MPA program.....speaking of that, why is it that MPA programs are so difficult to find unbiased (non-university produced) information about? I'm very interested in their MPA as it is my impression that Denver would be an outstanding city in which to study and experience urban policy. However, I've yet to find anyone who has attended their MPA program.

I myself am a 24 year old, Poli Sci major, who is looking to turn his undergrad degree into a professional career in government management. I'm also trying to figure out if CU Denver's program would be suitable for someone like myself; i.e. early career looking for entry into state or municipal government?

Though I realize this is a planning board, this is the only site I can find that produces information regarding MPA's that's useful. If anyone knows anything or has any opinions re UC Denver, let me know.

Thanks folks

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I got my MPA at CU-Denver about 12 years ago. I had a very mixed experience with that program. It was fairly easy to get into. I think they were trying to get their student numbers up at the time. Not too rigorous. My undergrad at CU-Boulder was harder. They had an exam halfway thru the program to weed out those who were not paying attention but had already spent alot of time and money on classes. There was no thesis requirement. It was optional, mostly used by those going on to some type of Ph.D. program.

It is set-up for those who are working which was a good thing for me as I was working part-time for a small community then. Most students had some experience with public sector or non-profit organizations. Most were also in their late 20s to mid 30s. Few students came directly from an undergrad program or took enough classes to be considered full time students. I was an exception and did both but I didn't start college until my late 20s. A fellow class member included a woman who was a City of Denver council person at the time. That made for some great discussions and group projects. Classes were mostly in the late afternoon or early evening and a few during the very early morning like 7:00 a.m.

The campus is in downtown Denver and within walking distance to the local bus (Regional Transportation District) station and light rail is very near by. So from many areas of the metro area you don't have to drive. I once figured I rode the bus from Boulder over 200 times to get my degree.

I had a couple of very good professors, many medicor ones and one that was the absollutely the worst ever. Thankfully she is no longer there but I had to take 3 classes (budget, finance and accounting) from her to get my degree. They have since changed deans and much of the staff so I can't speak about most of the current faculty. Allan Wallis is still there and he focused a lot on community development issues. I thought he was one of the best professors in the school. If you are thinking of going in that direction be sure to talk to him and find out what classes he is teaching in the next 2 years.

I have not kept in contact with the school since I graduated. They occassionaly send me a newsletter and foolishly ask me for money. Good Luck!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I got my MURP from UCD 15 yrs ago.
    Glad I went there for numerous reasons, sorry but don't know much about it today.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Colorado-Denver MURP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Mar 2012, 10:08 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Aug 2009, 11:46 AM
  3. Denver, Colorado: Berkeley
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 6