Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ph.D. in Urban and Regional Planning (U.C. Berkeley vs. U.C.L.A.)

BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2005

Ph.D. in Urban and Regional Planning (U.C. Berkeley vs. U.C.L.A.)

Hi there,

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on the comparison between the Ph.D. programs in Urban and Regional Planning at U.C. berkeley versus U.C.L.A? I even looked at U.S.C.'s Ph.D. program in Policy, Planning, and Development, but it is way TOO real estate developer-oriented for me. I eventually see myself researching and studying the academic and professional relationship between urban history, community design, green building techniques, and New Urbanism.

I plan on relocating to the Bay Area in the next year, but in a few years from now I know I will want to pursue my doctorate in planning on the west coast (California).

Any advice is much appreciated.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    I'm assuming you want to teach?

BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    I'm assuming you want to teach?
    Teach, consulting, and research

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by vtboy99
    Any advice is much appreciated.
    Look at UC-Irvine.

BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally posted by timbucktwo
    Look at UC-Irvine.
    Thanks for the tip, but their program is too social ecology-based for me, with no emphasis on physical planning or urban design (no architecture or design school located at UC Irvine).

Not to mention the fact that I HATE Orange County (one if the fakest places in the country). I could not see myself working on my Ph.D. for 5-6 years in that oppressively suburban, politically conservative, and culturally artificial environment.

Again, I am ONLY interested in UCLA or Berkeley...

     
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by vtboy99
    Thanks for the tip, but their program is too social ecology-based for me, with no emphasis on physical planning or urban design (no architecture or design school located at UC Irvine).
    Check aagain, especially on the design part.

Not to mention the fact that I HATE Orange County (one if the fakest places in the country). I could not see myself working on my Ph.D. for 5-6 years in that oppressively suburban, politically conservative, and culturally artificial environment.
    Now, this I can understand, but sometimes ya gotta open yer mind, Kunstler!

Again, I am ONLY interested in UCLA or Berkeley...[/QUOTE]

BANNED
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally posted by timbucktwo
    Check aagain, especially on the design part.

Now, this I can understand, but sometimes ya gotta open yer mind, Kunstler!

Again, I am ONLY interested in UCLA or Berkeley...
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah I already looked into the UC Irvine Ph.D. in Planning, Policy, and Design curriculum countless times, but again, without a solid academic design program and department in which to tap into, I really wont be able to pursue the research I am personally interested in. Only UCLA and Berkeley truly offer that in California. Thanks for the advice however!

By the way, do you have any thoughts on the two schools I AM interested in?

Yeah I am definitely a Kunster fan to the extreme, which is precisely why I could not stomach the OC for five years no matter how good the program is (which it is not for me). Believe me, I live in San Diego right now unfortunately and for all intents and purposes, it is a watered down OC, which is why I am either Bay Area or LA-bound. No more conservative San Diego or Orange County politics, culture, and lifestyle for me. Way too intellectually oppressive (perhaps with the exception of UCSD, but they dont even HAVE a planning or design program!)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 10:23 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 4:10 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Jan 2004, 12:15 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Mar 2000, 5:40 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Mar 1998, 12:22 AM