Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Evening Meetings and Kids

Registered
    May 1997

Evening Meetings and Kids

A question for all Cyburbia parents, especially those who have experience as single moms:: how do you navigate a job that requires a lot of evening meetings, while having a kid? Karen and I are talking about whether she will go back to work, but the question is not so much whether she wants to, but whether she can. If she goes back there would be a few times a month when we have evening meetings at the same time. We have no family here, we are it for care-givers. Do any of you take a child to work during the day? to evening meetings? It is not easy to find child care for an infant around here during the day, but we have no idea who/how would provide infant care at night. Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but we welcome all thoughts. Thanks.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    One of the reasons I left my -ex and moved is because he bitched so much about taking care of his own child when I had evening meetings, it got to the point I was leaving my son with his grown half-sister instead of his own father, I was so worried. So yes, it's always a big problem. Once I relocated, my mom mostly babysat, although a few times I had to leave my son with neighbors or a paid sitter (usually a secretary I knew from work who needed extra $$). I have even seen planners bring their toddler kids to night meetings (one guy in particular, his wife was a night-shift nurse) and ask the planners milling about the chamber lobby to watch him during his cases. I am lucky that my son is now 12, and don't have many night meetings anymore.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    For many years when the kids were young, my husband taught a couple nights of week. I hired a babysitter or took them to a 24 hour day care. I knew the evening manager so I didn't mind leaving them there at such an institutional place.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    hmmm nearly everyone I work with has brought thier kids in with them at one time or another. I know my dad would bring me to work from time to time, I guess I'm lucky I don't see this as an issue.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have this kid that works for me. I put his item first on the next planning commission agenda to accommodate his need. Iím flexible.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Depending on the age, you could trade babysitting with his friend's family. If he's school-aged, he has school friends he likes to play with. Ask that kid's mom if she wants to trade: if she watches your son Thursday night while you're at your meeting, you'll watch her kid Saturday afternoon so she can relax.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I know exactly what you mean. When I was away from family, I could not have a planning job that required me to have night meetings because babysitters were too darn expensive, especially since regular daycare was $1K per month. So dishing out more money for a sitter in the DC area was insane especially since I really did not trust anyone.

However, when I moved back home, my mother could take care of Mac. Plus, my job would allow me to bring Mac in during the day as long as he does not disturb anyone. My bosses are pretty lenient on allowing us to come into work with a kid. I think it really depends on how well behaved the child is on whether or not you can bring one in. As for night meetings, I have not seen anyone ever bring their child in.

If I move away from family again, I will not be able to have a planning job that requires night meetings due to the fact that Mr. TN is usually working in the evenings due to his job.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I have this kid that works for me. I put his item first on the next planning commission agenda to accommodate his need. Iím flexible.
    Ah, you let the "preacher" present first at the next meeting? What's wrong with you? You know I have to present my crap early in order to clean out some pipes later in the day
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    My hubby is Mister Mom - he works part-time (9 to 3) while the kids are in school so he takes care of my evening meetings -

On Monday I am quizzed as to what my night meeting for the week is like - sometimes we have to coordinate babysitting (which my now 13 year old can do, if she's ever home with play practice) because he is on a couple of non-profit boards now

so it's a juggle - I don't like coming home between work and the meeting because my 18 month old freaks when I leave and sometimes my 7 year old does too -

I brought my kids -- when they were 7 and 5 years old -- to a Preservation Board night meeting and was nervous as a cat the whole time. They did fine, but I was really uncomfortable.

(My son asked afterwards 'Why did you do all the talking at the meeting?' )

I've brought them to the office from time to time, to let me get some urgent work done, while awaiting a pediatrician appt or some such. Never for a full day.

I'm fortunate to have my wife's family nearby, but we can't always count on them, so Mrs. G and I do a lot of schedule coordination.
    Je suis Charlie

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I beg, steal and borrow babysitters. I have met a few parents at my oldests school, they help out, I have 2-3 kids in the neighborhood that watch them when I have no one else (they charge so I prefer a friend or relative), I also have my parents that are saints and help out ALL the time (My Dad makes SURE he can watch the boys if I need them to, they know how important it is that I make meetings and am available for my job) and last, my cousin has moved into my home and when necessary he helps out as well.
    Lee, its really about meeting people. Beofre my oldest was in school it was much more difficult to find sitters, now that I have met a few mothers I find they are always willing to help. I also do not ever take advantage, I only call on them when my parents can't help out. There are a few places around here that have 24 hours day care, but I have never used anything like that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Good evening from RVA!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Mar 2012, 7:00 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 May 2010, 5:34 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 08 Mar 2006, 3:15 PM
  4. ABC Evening News - traffic look/see
    Transportation Planning