Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Mensa

  1. #1
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327
    The word Mensa was mentioned in another thread. I place this post on this thread because of it's obvious "randomness".....

    In the late 1980's I dated a woman who was a Mensa......Brenda. She is a teacher in the Toledo School District. She was an interesting person......very intelligent about some things but "no clue" about some basics.

    She belonged to the area Mensa group......but they had some sub-groups and she was more active in that group. That sub-group just partied, drank a lot of wine, and visited nudist clubs all over the midwest. I went to a couple of events with Brenda and that group.....they were wild.

    Ahhhh, the 1980's.......

    Bear @ About 75 IQ
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    The word Mensa was mentioned in another thread. I place this post on this thread because of it's obvious "randomness".....

    In the late 1980's I dated a woman who was a Mensa......Brenda. She is a teacher in the Toledo School District. She was an interesting person......very intelligent about some things but "no clue" about some basics.

    She belonged to the area Mensa group......but they had some sub-groups and she was more active in that group. That sub-group just partied, drank a lot of wine, and visited nudist clubs all over the midwest. I went to a couple of events with Brenda and that group.....they were wild.

    Ahhhh, the 1980's.......

    Bear @ About 75 IQ
    I have a MUCH older cousin in Mensa (like his kids are not that much younger than me) and he told me that when he joined Mensa, basically, the first meeting was a nudist kind of thing. Of course, I heard this story more than 20 years ago so I can't remember any of the details. But, given my age back then, maybe he didn't give me many details.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian Budgie's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Sans Souci
    Posts
    5,265

    Mensa

    Does anyone out there know a mensa member? A co-worker who's wife is a mensa and fellow duplicate bridge player said that I should take a test and see if I can join. Is this the ultimate geek club or what?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    I have a cousin in Mensa. He is lots older than I am and I met him once. I think I was 17 and he was in his 30's. I spoke with him by phone some years later and he encouraged me to join based on my SAT scores so I could get some scholarship money for college. It would have been a small scholarship (like $100) and I just never got around to it. I probably know many Mensa members on various lists I am on but it doesn't generally come up in conversation all that often. It has come up a few times in terms of website resources, social opportunities for their kids, etc.

    I don't think Mensa is what people think it is. My cousin told me tales of going to a nudist meeting or some such the very first time and meeting some loud-mouthed brassy broad -- kind of like me -- who came right up to him in her birthday suit and yammered on like it was nothing while he fidgeted and wondered what was the socially correct thing to do, where to look and so forth, while you have all your clothes on talking to a lovely woman in public who isn't wearing a stitch.

    Actually, Mensa sounds a lot like Cyburbia, come to think of it, only "in person".

  5. #5
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Section 14-12-7, 3rd PM
    Posts
    2,096
    Who needs MENSA...we have Cyburbia!!

  6. #6
    Cyburbian jordanb's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    City of Low Low Wages!
    Posts
    3,236
    Nerds + Elitism is a bad combination.

  7. #7
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,486
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Does anyone out there know a mensa member? A co-worker who's wife is a mensa and fellow duplicate bridge player said that I should take a test and see if I can join. Is this the ultimate geek club or what?
    Yeah, I know a bunch of Mensans and every last one of thems a geek!

    Regular parties - get drunk and ask chicks if they wanna do the wild thing.

    Mensa parties - get drunk and ask chicks if they wanna do the wild thing (but ask in latin)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Budgie's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Sans Souci
    Posts
    5,265
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I don't think Mensa is what people think it is. My cousin told me tales of going to a nudist meeting or some such the very first time and meeting some loud-mouthed brassy broad -- kind of like me -- who came right up to him in her birthday suit and yammered on like it was nothing while he fidgeted and wondered what was the socially correct thing to do, where to look and so forth, while you have all your clothes on talking to a lovely woman in public who isn't wearing a stitch.

    Actually, Mensa sounds a lot like Cyburbia, come to think of it, only "in person".
    The mensa gal I know is an native Bostonian in her mid-60's and loves to yammer, as you put it. Fun to talk to but always jumping from one thing to another. Her and her sister are brilliant at cards though.

    So you believe that mensa meetings and Laefests are similar. Can't argue with that, especially after my early breakfast experience in Green Bay last fall.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

  9. #9
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    13,156
    I think of it this way, some smart people have great personalities, some have massive Ego’s. I think that Mensa is just an Ego boost for many of them. I truly intelligent individual would be one that could achieve everything that the organization sets out to accomplish without the exclusiveness of the organization it’s self, such as getting together with “friends” on a Friday night...

    I also think that those who are immensely intelligent and the ones that you would never guess because they don’t stand out as a geek but instead blend in with others and make others feel comfortable around them. They area also not confrontational realizing that nothing can be beneficial can be accomplished by proving someone wrong when there is nothing to truly gain or loose.
    You get what you give.

  10. #10
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519
    I guess it's like any organization of people with similar interests...but the similar interest is intelligence?? Who wants to sit around at a meeting talking about intelligence and how smart they are?? Sounds egotistical to me, JMHO. Who cares how intelligent someone is? When meeting people or getting involved in an organization I like to find things that I have in common with other people and enjoy learning new things...my common interest is not "me" and "my intelligence level", or anyone elses for that matter.
    I understand there is a need for "outlets" for gifted indiviuals and I believe everyone is gifted in their own right in some aspect. But to "hang" with others and having to be "tested" to enter an organization for "brains" is really quite amusing (ridiculous to me)...again JMHO.

  11. #11
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    7,354

    Hey.....

    Aren't these people (mensa's) the one's who are just NOT quite at the Autistic stage??? Maybe almost got there, but for some reason didn't for whatever reason (biological in nature).....but got very close...Consider social abilities ....one somewhat controled and the other with no control......strange......but interesting......This goes along well with the empirical evidence as mentioned by Budgie about yammering and going on and the quick hectic pace of events in many mensa's minds/lives.......I think..... (certainly the ones I've met) the arrogance of mensa's set them apart from autistic individuals though

    I'd be interested to hear from Cyburbians with relatives that have autism since my observations are limited and my understanding is being pulled from a very unreliable location on my body
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Budgie's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Sans Souci
    Posts
    5,265
    WOW, and I thought race and religion had strong stereotypes attached to them. The stereotypes attached to people who happen to be in the top 2% in IQ seems very strong among Cyburbians.

    I think mensa folks are probably as diverse as people in the planning field are. Before making genrealizations, how many mensa's do you actually know. You may know some and not even know it, although the number of people who are members of mensa is very very small.

    I know one and she loves to smoke (don't tell Bill), drink, play cards, gamble and cuse (not in latin) like a mariner. Clearly there is a stereotype here somewhere. My astrophysicist friend from high school was a successful athlete (football and soccer) at Cal Tech, caroused , was a metal head and could hang with us in Axis and Allies. He sure hits the stereotype of geekdom.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

  13. #13
    Corn Burning Fool giff57's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 1998
    Location
    On the Mother River
    Posts
    4,592
    The guy that gave me the hat I was wearing in Fl. is a member. He is a pretty cool guy even though he works for FlDOT.....

    I have taken the test, I probably could make it if I had better math skills. It did prove what I knew all along, that I am smarter than most people
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

  14. #14
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    13,156
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I think mensa folks are probably as diverse as people in the planning field are. Before making genrealizations, how many mensa's do you actually know. You may know some and not even know it, although the number of people who are members of mensa is very very small.
    I know 2 of them and I can't stand to be around them. It is worse when they get drunk. One of them once told me that city planning is a waste of time because large corporations are going to take over and build what ever they want, as big as they want, and in any manner they want, and there is nothing any planner can do about it. The other told me I was pronouncing the word “Killian’s” wrong and that he should know because he is so much smarter than everyone else, after all he is in Mensa and that should be proof enough.
    You get what you give.

  15. #15
    Cyburbian jordanb's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    City of Low Low Wages!
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    One of them once told me that city planning is a waste of time because large corporations are going to take over and build what ever they want, as big as they want, and in any manner they want, and there is nothing any planner can do about it.
    That sounds about right.

  16. #16
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    13,156
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    That sounds about right.
    Even so... if he were so smart he would have known that a statement that would make me want to beat the intelligence out of him.
    You get what you give.

  17. #17
    Cyburbian Budgie's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Sans Souci
    Posts
    5,265
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I know 2 of them and I can't stand to be around them. It is worse when they get drunk. One of them once told me that city planning is a waste of time because large corporations are going to take over and build what ever they want, as big as they want, and in any manner they want, and there is nothing any planner can do about it. The other told me I was pronouncing the word “Killian’s” wrong and that he should know because he is so much smarter than everyone else, after all he is in Mensa and that should be proof enough.
    Hey, mensa's can be arseholes too I suppose. In fact, there are tons of people who are unbearable when they are drunk. (Not me included I hope. ). Not to sound elitist of anything, but last Saturday night at my regular haunt, I sat down to a redneck friend of mine from work and we were talking about the wastewater plant and an adventure we had a few months back. Anyway, some of his buds sat next to use and went round and round about the same story about "he said and she said, fight insued, blah blah blah". I got tired of it and left because it was boring and repetition. I guess that makes me an elitist bunghole. Like no one on Cyburbia has an ego.

    I am definitely an elitist egotistical slug. Ask any Cyburbian who knows me.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

  18. #18
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,486
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Before making genrealizations, how many mensa's do you actually know. You may know some and not even know it, although the number of people who are members of mensa is very very small.
    I said I knew a "bunch" but this really equals three. One is a social worker, one is a college math professor and another is an anthropologist. And yes they all are incredibly brilliant but pretty socially inept. I don't know if all Mensans are terminal geeks but every Mensan I have known has qualified as one.

    From what I can gather people of extremely high intelligence frequently find interaction with regular folks sometimes unsatisfying. Like talking to no one but 5 year olds or developmentally disabled people all the time. Not necessarily 'looking down' on people in an elitist sense but unable to discuss things on the plane that they might wish for. Meeting people who speak from the same plane fulfills this social need.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  19. #19
         
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,519
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    WOW, and I thought race and religion had strong stereotypes attached to them. The stereotypes attached to people who happen to be in the top 2% in IQ seems very strong among Cyburbians.

    I think mensa folks are probably as diverse as people in the planning field are. Before making genrealizations, how many mensa's do you actually know. You may know some and not even know it, although the number of people who are members of mensa is very very small.

    I know one and she loves to smoke (don't tell Bill), drink, play cards, gamble and cuse (not in latin) like a mariner. Clearly there is a stereotype here somewhere. My astrophysicist friend from high school was a successful athlete (football and soccer) at Cal Tech, caroused , was a metal head and could hang with us in Axis and Allies. He sure hits the stereotype of geekdom.
    I don't think anyone involved in an organization like this is wrong or bad or anything like that, I just find it odd that the thing they all have in common is intellect...and activity or book or something other than myself and how smart I am is interesting to me, not the IQ's of all of those around me.

  20. #20
    Cyburbian Budgie's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Sans Souci
    Posts
    5,265
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I don't think anyone involved in an organization like this is wrong or bad or anything like that, I just find it odd that the thing they all have in common is intellect...and activity or book or something other than myself and how smart I am is interesting to me, not the IQ's of all of those around me.
    I agree. It does seem to be a rather nebulous in terms of what makes them a cohesive group. The only requirement is to have an IQ in the top 2%. The question is ... So what?

    ***************
    PLEASE TAKE NOTE -- Most of these people who claim to be mensa members may not actually be. According to the website there are approximately 100,000 mensa members in 100 countries. The odds of anyone of us acutally knowing more than one mensa (if one at all) is pretty slim. But who knows, maybe planners are just second tier geeks who sometimes mingle with real Tier 1 geeks. I love all these references to "tiers", don't you jordanb.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

  21. #21
    Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    8,640
    I think I can join.....I know I'm smarter than at least 2% of the population.

    I've known people that certainly qualify for mensa, and may have been members for all I knew.

    Especially, one guy in high school. He convincingly concluded that probability mathematics was useless for the individual, because everything was 50/50 - either it happened or didn't, was or wasn't, yes or no, etc.
    Last edited by mendelman; 05 Aug 2005 at 6:48 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    The ends can justify the means.

  22. #22
    Cyburbian AubieTurtle's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Downtown Atlanta
    Posts
    894
    I qualified for MENSA based on my GRE scores. I joined to have something to put on my resume since as a college student I didn't have a whole lot of work experience to put on there.

    I never went to any of the local social events but my opinion of the organization did change based on their magazine. Up until then everyone I met who said they were in MENSA were pains in the arse. The kind that was always trying to correct others and spent more time quoting famous thinkers than spent on forming opinions of their own. The funny thing is that after I got my membership card, I soon discovered all the "members" I knew were really posers. Not a single one was an actual member. They all had the same story "Oh, I could be a member but I can't find my old test results".

    So be careful about who you believe when they say they're in MENSA. As others have pointed out, some people just like to boost their egos and MENSA membership isn't something most people are willing to call you on.

    The writers of articles in the national magazine seemed quite openminded. Since I'm the only person I know who is an actual card carrying member, I can't say too much about the personalities or motives of the members except I think I rule.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

  23. #23
    Cyburbian Queen B's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2003
    Location
    "Somewhere in the middle"
    Posts
    3,171
    OK I am jumping in on this one...

    The Mensa member that I know also is certifiably crazy. A very large woman she was having a mental break down one night and who did they send in to evaluate her but my ex. She was sitting on the exam table in the emergency room completley naked, I did say large woman. She was sniffing her tennis shoe between words that made no sense at all.

    The EX came home visably shaken and declaring that it would be a while till he would be able to perform any marital acts. He just couldn't get that vision out of his head.

    Budgie I am certain she is still single, if you were thinking about picking up chicks!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

  24. #24
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327

    Brenda

    This Bear had a relationship back in the 1980's with a MENSA. Brenda is a teacher in the Toledo Public School System. She is also a nudist, quite open-minded about sexuality and "stuff", and is a great cook.

    We were together for about a year. She kept calling me her "diamond in the rough". I thought that she wasn't very emotional, until the end of our relationship. That was a tough time for both of us, but we both moved on, moving in to different relationships with others.

    The MENSA folks in Toledo seem to be in different SIG's. She told me that the SIG she was in was "the wild bunch". I went to a few of their gatherings.....you might say they were wild. Enuf about that.

    She did not flaunt her MENSA status. I found out about it from her teenage son.

    The last that I heard she was still living in suburban Perrysburg, happily married to another MENSA. (Her first husband was a "biker dude".)

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  25. #25
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,796
    I've never tried for mensa. But my last IQ test was very high, so I wonder...

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. planning mensa mania
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Feb 2005, 10:26 PM