Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Smart Car in the US?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Can you get a European Smart Car in the U.S.?

I've got a hair-brianed scheme cooking up here...

Maybe I sell the Subaru, get myself a 1967 Ford Bronco (stock, not lifted or anything) for winter and when I feel like paying for lotsa gas, basically a toy... and then get a Smart Car for commuting the 20 miles into work, oh and getting made fun of by my full-size Pick-up driving neighbors...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Can you get a European Smart Car in the U.S.?
    No, but I expect you could import one from Canada without too many hassles. If you really wanted to that is.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    No, but I expect you could import one from Canada without too many hassles. If you really wanted to that is.
    I went on their website, and they didn't have any info on sales in North America. Of course, the US didn't have any, but I did expect to see Canada. Maybe there is a separate website?

I may have to check later on.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I went on their website, and they didn't have any info on sales in North America. Of course, the US didn't have any, but I did expect to see Canada. Maybe there is a separate website?

I may have to check later on.
    I saw an article a month or two ago that said that the Smart 'ForTwo' will be available in the USA sometime next year.

BTW, there was a neat editorial cartoon in USAToday a couple of weeks ago that showed a 'then and now' side-by-side comparison. The left image ('then') showed a head-on view of the driver of a jacked-up redneck soove pointing, sneering and laughing at the driver of the econobox in the next lane, the right-side image showed the same scene 'now' with the driver of the econobox pointing, sneering and laughing at the driver of the jacked-up redneck soove.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    [QUOTE=mgk920]I saw an article a month or two ago that said that the Smart 'ForTwo' will be available in the USA sometime next year.[QUOTE]

I checked http://www.smartforamerica.com and it didn't really show where and how to buy. It did list the entry-level smart-for-two at $15,000! Unless that is Canadian Dollars, which would mean $23 USD
    Still, $15,000 for a car like that I feel is too expensive.
    How do British Pounds compare to the Almighty Dollar. SmartCarUK said a Smart for two was only 7,000 Pounds or something... Who knows, I gotta get back to work, and won't worry about it for a while...

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    [QUOTE=zmanPLAN][QUOTE=mgk920]I saw an article a month or two ago that said that the Smart 'ForTwo' will be available in the USA sometime next year.

I checked http://www.smartforamerica.com and it didn't really show where and how to buy. It did list the entry-level smart-for-two at $15,000! Unless that is Canadian Dollars, which would mean $23 USD
    Still, $15,000 for a car like that I feel is too expensive.
    How do British Pounds compare to the Almighty Dollar. SmartCarUK said a Smart for two was only 7,000 Pounds or something... Who knows, I gotta get back to work, and won't worry about it for a while...
    I just built mine in the smart canada website. $18K and change (CDN). The nearest dealer (to me) is in Windsor, ON. Hmmmm. I wonder what it would cost to get that baby over here. I wonder how I would look driving past the shuttered GM, Ford, soon to be Delphi, etc, etc, plants in one those things. Of course, since I am an economic developer, I see an opprtunity. I gotta get to work on it. The next biggest thing to come out of the motor city/state could be a tiny little car. Darn, I've given to much info away. Good thing most of you are planners.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I checked http://www.smartforamerica.com and it didn't really show where and how to buy. It did list the entry-level smart-for-two at $15,000!
    Yes, that is a bit too high priced. I can get a base Hyundai Elantra 4dr hatch for about that price (a car at least twice the size of the Smart)

Though the price is probably a reflection of limited supply driving cost....since DCX knows there is a sizeable market for this car and since none have been available, the price is going to be relatively high.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    [QUOTE=michiganplanner][QUOTE=zmanPLAN]
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    . I wonder how I would look driving past the shuttered GM, Ford, soon to be Delphi, etc, etc, plants in one those things.
    Don't worry they are distributed by mercedes benz, so you are really driving a chrysler.

As for pounds to dollar - figure about 2.2, so $15 k, basically same price.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I saw one in the USA in operation on Kelly's Island, Ohio (late summer 2005). I was there on a date, the woman I was with thought it was some sort of joke. I sort of dug it. It was the coupe.

I've also seen them speeding around the streets of Detroit here and there, but that don't count. You see all sorts of wierd cars on the street here ya don't see anywhere else.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    The 2006 Mini Cooper has invoice prices of $16,000 to $23,000
    Last edited by CosmicMojo; 06 Mar 2006 at 11:13 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    AHA! To revist this, I saw an article in the local paper about SmartCar finally coming to the U.S.!

BUT, I think it was listed at $23,000! You gotta be F.K.!... Sonsabiches...
    Just paying for the gimmic unfortunately...

Lemme look for da article... Found It! But it seems only motivated dealership owners in the area are bringing them in. Perhaps this'll create a buzz. Maybe I'll go drive one this week...

Voice in Head Stay away from car dealers Z Man...Voice in Head
    Last edited by zman; 06 Mar 2006 at 10:46 AM.

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    AHA! To revist this, I saw an article in the local paper about SmartCar finally coming to the U.S.!

BUT, I think it was listed at $23,000! You gotta be F.K.!... Sonsabiches...
    Just paying for the gimmic unfortunately...

Lemme look for da article... Found It! But it seems only motivated dealership owners in the area are bringing them in. Perhaps this'll create a buzz. Maybe I'll go drive one this week...

Voice in Head Stay away from car dealers Z Man...Voice in Head

My brother has a liscence to import canadian cars in for resale. I wonder if he has thought about these yet?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Wow... I never thought that Smart Cars were that expensive there... around here they're normal priced... I guess that they have to add special protection just so you can survive when you get splattered like a bug against an SUV...

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    I had a friend who flew to Germany for a week, got all the importing paperwork processed and had a BMW refitted for US emissions requirements for less than it would cost to buy one in the US. Could you do the same thing with the Smart Car? There are web pages explaining the requirements and process.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Aug 2007, 9:12 AM
  2. How smart are you?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 04 Apr 2005, 12:32 PM
  3. Smart Code, is it.....smart?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Feb 2004, 1:03 PM