Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Any "Best Picture" Winners On Your Fave Film List?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Any "Best Picture" Winners On Your Fave Film List?

As we approach another Oscar night this Bear got thinking about the number of movies that were awarded BEST PICTURE BY "The Academy" and whether or not those movies are favorites of mine.

All of these flicks on my list won BEST PICTURE. There were a lot more winners that are not on my list. Not that I dislike them.....just wasn't enuf pizzaz to make my list.

They are in calendar year order. A few are in my "All Time Favorites" list.

All Quiet On The Western Front
    Check out the brave and patriotic students at the beginning of the movie.....and the remaining soldiers (those former students), having witnessed the horrors of war, at the end of the movie.

It Happened One Night
    Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. Fun movie, with some very classic scenes. Did you know that after movie viewers saw Clark Gable without his undershirt on, the sales of those undershirts tanked?

Gone With The Wind
    Basically a southern soap opera but it is a great movie to watch....and "think" about. What an interesting and horrible period in the history of the USA.

Casablanca
    Bear Favorite
    One (1) of the best movies ever made. Some of the best lines ever said. An original chick flick that is fun for guys and girls.

Going My Way
    This Bear always liked Bing Crosby movies.

The Best Years Of Our Lives
    Bear Favorite
    A wonderful movie. Soldiers return to civilian life.....and are rejected by a country that has moved on. Frederic March is superb.

From Here To Eternity
    Bear Favorite
    I never tire of seeing the scene on the beach, witb Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr. Sinatra's comeback film.

Bridge On The River Kwai
    "Colonel Bogey's March" is forever embedded in my mind. Great action flick.

Ben Hur
    The chariot race in this version is sensational. Charlton Heston at his best.

The Apartment
    Great love story pairing of Shirley McClain (before she got weird) and Jack Lemmon.

West Side Story
    Bear Favorite
    Stunning movie. Wonderful music. Even a miscast male lead (Richard Beymer) couldn't stop this rumble from happening. Jets!

Midnight Cowboy
    IMHO, Dustin Hoffman's best role. I even named a dog that I had years ago "Ratso". Angelina Jolie's father takes credit cards, by the way.

1972 & 1974
    The Godfather & The Godfather, Part 2
    Bear Favorites
    I love both of these movies. Incredible story line, tremendous acting, presents real violence in a logical manner instead of today's "junk" that just presents violence for no good reason.

The Deer Hunter
    Bear Favorite
    I just watched this movie this afternoon.....prelude to Oscar night. An incredible movie with a tremendous amount of detail. I have even gone on the road and found some of the locations (in Cleveland) where a lot of the filming took place. Nastrovia!

Ordinary People
    Really good directorial debut for Robert Redford. Mary Tyler Moore should have won an Oscar for her portrayal as an absolute bitcx.

Chariots Of Fire
    Inspirational story of British Olympic athletes. This movie is now used as a "training film" for motivational-type trainers.

The English Patient
    A lot of movie viewers don't "get it". I fell in love with the players, the story, the scenery. I could watch Juliet Binoche all day long.

American Beauty
    Bear Favorite
    This is a great movie with great performances. I love this flick.
    _____

These are my favorite BEST PICTURE winners. What say you?

Just One (1) Shot Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries

Great thread, Bear

1961 West Side Story - the famous romantic musical about urban teenage life

1965 Sound of Music - one of the classic musicals

1976 Rocky - a classic about one man's struggle to break free

1993 Schindler's List - very chilling, but it's all about World War II - my ultimate favorite topic in history. all about history, humanity, and sociology in general - some of my favorite interests

1994 Forrest Gump - #1 Favorite of All Time. anyone who wants to learn American history from the 1950s through the 1980s in 2-3 hours just needs to see this movie. i just appreciate the relation between one simple man and society as a whole and how each affected each other. some incredible acting as well. and the greatest soundtrack ever

1995 Braveheart - classic warrior movie

1997 Titantic - always had an interest in the Titantic and disasters in general before this movie; excellent interpretation of the 1910s, sappy love story, also features the Titantic expedition time, also enjoy the time travel throughout the movie

2002 Chicago - an awesome musical, going back and forth between stage show and street life experiences, lots of Chicagoisms, Queen Latifah...it doesn't get any better
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Dr. Zhivago - wasn't that an Oscar winner? That's definitely one of my favorites.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Short List:

2001 - A Beautiful Mind
    1994 - Forrest Gump
    1973 - The Sting
    1961 - West Side Story
    @GigCityPlanner

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. "The City" a 1939 film.
    Design, Space, and Place