Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Definition of "redevelopment"?

Registered
    Mar 2006

Definition of "redevelopment"?

Greetings all...first time poster but longtime lurker. I could really use some help. Let me briefly explain the situation. My city has a planned development ordinance that was enacted less than a year ago. Already the planning and zoning commission and the city council are having trouble with it. I've been given good enough direction on what to do with it as far as tighening it up a bit however they want some language written in defining the term "redevelopment." The intent is not to allow the pd to be used for typical expansion projects whereby more structure, parking etc. is crammed onto a site using the pd to take care of setbacks, FAR etc. However, in situations where property may be already developed but other than being scraped clean may going through a redevelopment process, the pd could possibly be used. Some sort of percentage of site calculation should probably be used but I thought I'd ask some fellow planners for advice. No use reinventing the wheel. I appreciate any help/advice anyone can provide.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    oo, oo, good question - i'd love some clarification on that too. we have gobs going on with our local PD and the development is moving at such a pace it's like learning the rules as you go...

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I'm sure there's plenty of folks here with a lot of experience with pd's, pud's...whatever you want to call them. They're excellent tools but prone to misuse. Once the word gets out in the development community that you've enacted the concept, which should be used for troublesome or problematic pieces of property that just can't seem to get developed, you start getting requests to reduce lot size, setbacks, open space etc.just "because." This thing has been the biggest headache of my planning career and we've only processed seven requests.

Registered
    May 2005
    In Albuquerque, we have a metropolitan redevlopment agency that designates areas for "redevelopment" and then forms public/private partnersips (with developers or, more commonly, CDCs and other non-profit entities). Basically, the city will acquire the properties and hold them for approved development (which is supposed to arise from publicly generated priorities). Their main page has some language that might be useful:

http://www.cabq.gov/planning/amra/

They say things like "restoring sites to their former economic usefulness," which I think is a fairly good, but general, start. Of course, you could still "redevelop" a site that was not all that useful in the first place...

One of the best cases of what they have done is with the Sawmill Community Land Trust which has attracted a lot of national attention. Working with a well-organized community, the city purchased a large, blighted property that had been the site of several sawmills and pressboard factories. Now, they sell back portions of the land to the land trust (at cost) as it has money for subsequent phases of development. Its really very exciting stuff. Their website is:

http://www.sawmillclt.org/

Also check out their most recent project, artist live/work spaces:

http://www.sawmilllofts.org/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Jun 2013, 10:13 AM
  2. Definitions Good definition for "race track"
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 06 Jul 2010, 6:54 PM
  3. Replies: 0