Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big Brother is Watching

Registered
    Oct 2001

Big Brother is Watching

Now, since this post will probably trigger all kinds of automatic monitoring software, just let me say that I am HAPPY that everything I do is being "monitored" by the government. After all, as a "liberal" (lol) I acknowledge that I am treasonous and unworthy of living in the Freest country in the world, so...

Apparantly, financial transactions are monitored to the extent that if you make a larger than normal credit card payment, Big Brother puts a hold on your payment until the monitors can be...satisfied...that you didn;t get the money from some nefarious Saudi Prince or Communist South American military dictator. Even if you are just paying off a Department Store Credit Card. I mean, come on: J. C. Penney, the store for terrorists?

http://nalert.blogspot.com/2006/03/p...ise-alarm.html

Comments? Do you feel more secure that these folks J.C. Penney account triggered action by "Homeland Security"?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    They were told, as they moved up the managerial ladder at the call center, that the amount they had sent in was much larger than their normal monthly payment. And if the increase hits a certain percentage higher than that normal payment, Homeland Security has to be notified. And the money doesn't move until the threat alert is lifted.
    Wow, really? Homeland Security? I can understand some kind of investigation happening when unusually large payments are made, but I don't get why Homeland Security has to be involved.

On a related note, I went to a thought-provoking "multimedia performance" on Sunday (think it was a U.S. production that is touring) called Super Vision, which dealt with the issue of the huge amount of information that credit card companies and border security hold about us - illustrated through 3 personal stories about digital identities gone wrong - review here: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0603/S00031.htm

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Apparantly, financial transactions are monitored to the extent that if you make a larger than normal credit card payment, Big Brother puts a hold on your payment until the monitors can be...satisfied...that you didn;t get the money from some nefarious Saudi Prince or Communist South American military dictator. Even if you are just paying off a Department Store Credit Card. I mean, come on: J. C. Penney, the store for terrorists?

I wonder if the Administration and members of Congress are exempted from scruntiny?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    I wonder if the Administration and members of Congress are exempted from scruntiny?
    I believe that Inner Party members are allowed to turn their televisions off.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I believe that Inner Party members are allowed to turn their televisions off.
    LOL. Yeah. Some of today's stories are really reminiscent of a combination of 1984 and Brave New World.

"We have always been at war with Eurasia."

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Comments? Do you feel more secure that these folks J.C. Penney account triggered action by "Homeland Security"?
    I guess I'm terrorist because I put $4,000 on my card when I purchased my car last week.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I found out about this kind of crap first hand when I switched banks. The hoops to set up and USE your new account is a bit out of hand. OK sure ID to set the account up for for like 6-8 weeks they had holds on all my money, I could not draw cash from a counter deposit etc. All in the name of national security. I asked the branch manager about this and got the "dont ask those kinds of questions" talk
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    LOL. Yeah. Some of today's stories are really reminiscent of a combination of 1984 and Brave New World.

A modern example might include "running up a half trillion dollar deficit IS fiscal responsibility"
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    A modern example might include "running up a half trillion dollar deficit IS fiscal responsibility"
    Well, I was thinking more specifically of the approval TWO WEEKS BEFORE KUWAIT of a big military technology contract for the "Worse man since Hitler."

Elsewhere in the news the Department of Justice has concluded that democracies do not necessarily uphold democratic principles. It forces one to ask exactly what is a democratic principle.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Actually that happened to me when i sold my last house in late 2002, and used the proceeds to pay off all my credit debts and student loans. It didnt bat an eye at the time, being so close to 9/11. The creditors stopeed interested when it payment was received, not when Big Bro released the transaction.

Off-topic:
    Any new bank account required a thumb print now. Also cashing a check at a bank where you dont have any account (say mom's b-day check to you taken to her bank) required a thumb print to process it. Lots changed....

You people are so ungrateful for the loving cradle you're given. I don't blame you. Our enemies are wise and always try to corrupt. One day you'll truly understand. Big Brother is only looking out for our good. And Big Brother does an amazing job.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    Elsewhere in the news the Department of Justice has concluded that democracies do not necessarily uphold democratic principles. It forces one to ask exactly what is a democratic principle.
    One does wonder. Unless said wondering is an unpatriotic crime. Oops. I meant, of course, "Thought Crime."

YOU, jaws will appreciate this quote:

Political parties exist for much the same reasons as organized religions. The goal of the latter is contain, control and ultimately destroy the religious or spiritual experience. The former exists to frustrate the aspirations of the civically engaged. The people who rise to the top in either tend to be the most ambitious and selfish, the most adept at the tactics of careerism. They share an uneasy collegiality that's kept in place mostly by their shared, greater disdain for their consituents.

Organized religion does not have the power it once had. There was a time when the catholic church wielded enormous influence over its members, and was in fact more powerful in lawmaking than the kings who ruled by "divine right." As the kings progressively accumulated power in their own hands and created the modern absolutist state, the ability of political crooks to enrich themselves through the church waned. They moved on to the next best thing, political parties. Those clergymen that remained did out of vocation.

Today the Church is somewhat helpless. Although I believe the Pope's head is in the right place when he condemns Harry Potter, I don't think it really matters much for anyone.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    It should be "We've always been at war with the terrorists, the Communists have always been our friends"

Now everybody knows that Credit cards are evil and that they're sponsored by terrorists to make America weak... That's why Homeland security is watching them...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Organized religion does not have the power it once had. There was a time when the catholic church wielded enormous influence over its members, and was in fact more powerful in lawmaking than the kings who ruled by "divine right." As the kings progressively accumulated power in their own hands and created the modern absolutist state, the ability of political crooks to enrich themselves through the church waned. They moved on to the next best thing, political parties. Those clergymen that remained did out of vocation.

Today the Church is somewhat helpless. Although I believe the Pope's head is in the right place when he condemns Harry Potter, I don't think it really matters much for anyone.
    Well...as usual you start well, then go off the deep end. There are far more serious things the Catholic Church needs to worry about then Harry Potter.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    I believe the Pope's head is in the right place when he condemns Harry Potter.
    Does he also condemn the Brothers Grimm for their works of fantasy fiction?
    And C.S. Lewis who used magic in his childrens' books?
    What a joke! It's a storybook.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I bet they hate Dave Ramsey... Suddenly everyone is tossing large amounts of money at their credit card... WTF?

I am not a fan of it, but I understand why they do it.
    If you don't like it, call your congressman
    or
    There are nice countries all around the world, heck the one to the north might let you move in!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Well...as usual you start well, then go off the deep end. There are far more serious things the Catholic Church needs to worry about then Harry Potter.
    I don't necessarily disagree, I was just pointing out how helpless the whole business was.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    There are nice countries all around the world, heck the one to the north might let you move in!
    This argument always INFURIATES ME! It's not the argument of a free population. Obey the current regime, or we will expell you!!!!

Campaign against THOUGHT CRIME! Big Brother demands obedience!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Of Course, Big Brother is not only WATCHING

he is dishing out plenty of that sweet, cracklin' Homeland Security Pork! 80 cameras for a town of less than 5,000 people in the Outback of Alaska!!!! All paid for by the federal taxpayers (well, actually, all paid for by our Chinese, Japanese, and European bondholders, but we'll pretend to believe GOP fiscal responsibility for a few more months )

http://patriotboy.blogspot.com/2006_...80614621643625

Registered
    Apr 2003
    This argument always INFURIATES ME! It's not the argument of a free population. Obey the current regime, or we will expell you!!!!

Campaign against THOUGHT CRIME! Big Brother demands obedience!
    It was not meant as an argument... only a statement.

But seriously, if you have a concern with the operations of particular aspects of the government, go beyond ranting or whining about it and gather a group of people, contact similar parties who think/feel/believe similar things, and call for change.

This county was founded on those same actions. At the end of the fight, even if nothing changes, at least then you know that you did everything that you could and you (unlike the vast majority of Americans these days) did something about your concerns.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Oct 2001

But seriously, if you have a concern with the operations of particular aspects of the government, go beyond ranting or whining about it and gather a group of people, contact similar parties who think/feel/believe similar things, and call for change.

This county was founded on those same actions. At the end of the fight, even if nothing changes, at least then you know that you did everything that you could and you (unlike the vast majority of Americans these days) did something about your concerns.
    Ah. I see what you meant. And, I take your point.

The great democratic lie, that you can change the system if your cause is just. The reality is that unless you're rich or you have rich friends, getting anywhere close to power is impossible. Political activism is enormously expensive, and a successful lobby has to throw a lot of resources on both sides of the political coin.

The U.S. was founded by a group of people who realized they could never get what they rightfully deserved through the political process, and decided it would be better to strike off on their own. The same principle is what must keep political power in check today.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The great democratic lie, that you can change the system if your cause is just. The reality is that unless you're rich or you have rich friends, getting anywhere close to power is impossible. Political activism is enormously expensive, and a successful lobby has to throw a lot of resources on both sides of the political coin.

The U.S. was founded by a group of people who realized they could never get what they rightfully deserved through the political process, and decided it would be better to strike off on their own. The same principle is what must keep political power in check today.

Sadly, I think you are increasingly correct.

Michaelskis is a true believer in self-improvement, volunteerism, the whole shebang. And, he is a better man for it.

But, there is just too much money wrapped up in what General Dwight Eisenhower called the "Military Industrial Complex." Empire is profitable (for a connected minority). There are too many people, too many layers of government, too many companies, bureaucracies, and individuals. Too much smugness from the Exceptionalists.

That doesn't mean that you should give up, fight the good fight, make small changes. So, you are a little too gloomy.

Ecotopia, anyone? )Just kidding. I've been to Berkeley and Santa Cruz, and th Arcata Eye http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/055...lance&n=283155

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. People watching
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 22 Apr 2013, 6:10 PM
  2. Who is watching us?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 09 Feb 2006, 3:32 PM
  3. watching the history channel