Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: CBC's Programming (AIB Donk's Rick Mercer reference)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

CBC's Programming (AIB Donk's Rick Mercer reference)

Thanks to Donk, and a slow work week, I am finally able to post this, which is something that I wanted to do for a while.

I love watching Hockey Night In Canada (HNIC) on the NHL Center Ice feed here in the U.S. on Saturday night, I especially "love to hate" Don Cherry and Satellite Hotstove is informative and stimulating.
    Getting the Canadian feed also means Canadian commercials. Some of the programming previews from CBC look really interesting. The Rick Mercer Report is one. As well as some of the other "CBC Big Ticket" movies and documentaries is another. But alas, the CBC feed ends after the post game show behind the second game on HNIC, so I can never see some of the shows that peak my interest.

Would any Canadians like to weigh in and let me know what they watch and what they like? Are these shows interesting? Does CBC offer any DVD recordings of documentaries?

Also, I remember watching the Trailer Park Boys on BBC America, it was okay and I really like the references to the greatest band ever, Rush.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Overall, I don't watch CBC very often. Only HNIC, and then there's this old veejay from Much Music (Canada's MTV) that now does a news show. He's pretty cool, so I may catch him once or twice a month. I'll also catch some in-depth report once a month or so. Oh yeah, and I try to watch Kelley Hrudy when he's on CBC (usually the second game in HNIC, or the after hours)... he's got good insight, and he's a total hottie. He's the dude that used to do the "Behind the Mask" segment.

CBC is really the lamest of the programming for Canada. If you want to see some funny stuff, try CTV... Corner Gas is the funniest show I've seen in a long, long time. It's like Seinfeld set in Saskatchewan.

Edit: Corner Gas is on DVD. I highly recommend you check it out.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Ignore nerudite, she lives in Alberta.

CBC programming is top notch. The drama and documentaries produced are just amazingly well done. On the drama side Da Vinci's City Hall and Da Vinci's Inquest are two crime shows that follow the former Vancouver mayor Larry Campbell thru his job as coroner and then mayor. There are others but I'm partial to these in particular. I only wish they were on DVD.

On the docu side CBC is peerless as far as I can tell. The passionate eye, the fifth estate, CBC News Correspondent, China Rises, The Current, daily doc, Dispatches, Global Perspectives, The Nature of Things, and so on.

CBC seems to be the only news organization in the entire country that actually bothers to conduct journalism anymore, and for that I'm glad public funding enables this.

CTV is the fluffiest news in the country - even providing more entertainment coverage per 30min than CANWEST GLOBAL does. CTV outlames even Global, and that is no easy task. So CTV funded production of Corner Gas. That does not a network make. CTV is bland bland bland and largely a brand promotion tool for Bell Globemedia. Every time I watch CTV news I pause and go "and..." because the reporters never bloody well ask obvious follow-up questions. Why? Probably because CTV, apparently, hired only entertainment beat reporters.

CBC is not perfect by any stretch but to call it the lamest network in Canada is pretty indefensible.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Ignore abrowne, he's from B.C.

I don't have cable T.V., so my viewing choices are rather limited and I don't watch a lot of T.V. I wouldn't say CBC is the lamest network, but I wouldn't say they're producing top-notch programming all the time either. And two of the most acclaimed shows (Da Vinci's City Hall being one of them) just got canned anyway. When I get home from work CBC is showing The Simpsons and Frasier re-runs. Oh - and they have Coronation Street on every weeknight too Most CBC movies I find pretty crappy (Oh boy - The Tommy Douglas story!)

Definitely prefer CBC news over any of the other Canadian offerings. The local news on the CTV affliate here in Toronto is just painful to watch. And I agree with the comments about their fluffy entertainews reporting.

I tried watching Corner Gas a couple of times but did not find it funny at all. Totally the opposite. Maybe it's a Prairies thing?

CBC news, HNIC and the Mercer Report are the Canadian staples at Chateau Tranplanner. I have no problem with my tax $$ going to support the CBC, but they run just as many ads as the private networks...

CBC radio on the other hand is A-1 - commercial radio blows.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. donk's major life decision
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 02 Aug 2013, 5:33 PM
  2. Rick James in my City
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Apr 2005, 1:24 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 21 Jan 2005, 1:12 PM