Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Funding for international land use plans

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2005

Funding for international land use plans

I am currently working for a Thai conservation and development NGO in Mae Hong Son, Thailand. They have decided to assist in developing a land use plan for several of the communities in which they work. Their main problem is a lack of project and operational funds. Does anyone have any ideas about where to search for possible resources to fund this endeavor? I have written to the Smart Growth Network but have not heard anything just yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you would prefer to contact me individually please PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Registered
    May 2005
    The UN Division for Sustainable Development provides some technical assistance for developing nations (which may include land use planning). Follow this link:

http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev/tech_coop/tech_coop.htm

Here's an excerpt from the site:
    The Division's technical expertise enables it to support developing countries and countries with economies in transition in their realization of sustainable development. Within the Division for Sustainable Development, special expertise is available in a wide range of issues in the fields of Energy, Transport and Atmosphere, as well as Water and Natural Resources.

Similarly, the Center for Sustainable Urban Development at Columbia recently received a 2.4million to study land use and transportation in developing countries.

I suspect that other agencies/organizations such as UNHABITAT, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN, or even USAID might provide some resources or these purposes. Thinking a little out of the box might help too. Agencies or other entities that deal with issues like housing, public health, transportation, infrastructure, commercial development, etc. should also have a stake in establishing good land use plans.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Aid agencies of developed nations might be a place where you might find some help. Although I am not sure if they would help specifically for land use planning. Most lay emphasis on infra development, poverty alleviation, women empowerment.
    probably you can cover one of the core issues and utilise the land use planning as a component. then there might be possibility of funding. But heres a quick list:

USAID
    ADB
    AUSAID(Australia)
    DANIDA(Denmark)
    RNE(Netherlands)
    GTZ(Germany)
    JICA (Japan)
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Jun 2007, 3:13 PM
  2. Open Space / Land Management Plans
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Jun 2002, 3:02 PM
  3. Performance-based land use plans
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1