Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gates hits 50 Billion!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Gates hits 50 Billion!

http://www.forbes.com/finance/feeds/...fx2584706.html

Bill Gates gained ground at the top of the megarich rankings as the world's wealthiest people added 400 billon (US dollars) to their net worth, according to Forbes magazine's annual list.

The number of people whose wealth reached 10 figures stood at a record 793, an increase of 102 from the previous year, with Microsoft founder Gates in first place for the 12th straight year.

His 50 billon (US dollars) fortune marked an increase of 3.5 billon (US dollars) from the 2005 Forbes list.
    So more people are becoming magarich, and bill gates, a computer geek is their king. Warren Buffet is number two. Additionally the article says that more than half of the billionaires live in the US.

What are they doing so right... additionally, what are we doing that is so wrong?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    [url]What are they doing so right... additionally, what are we doing that is so wrong?
    Don't you mean that the other way around?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Don't you mean that the other way around?
    Nope... I have it right.

Right and wrong as in why do we work? It is so we can (for most of us) leave our house that the bank owns but we make payments plus interest to them, and drive our car that the bank owns but we make payments plus interest on, to a job so we can spend most of our day being at a place that we might not want to be at, away from those that we love for most of the day to earn money to pay for the car that we make payments on because we need it to drive to work and the house that we don’t get to spend much time in because we are too busy working.

Something tells me that with 50 billion, he does not have payments on cars, houses, or anything else, so he does not need to work, and he can spend time with his family and loved ones.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Something tells me that with 50 billion, he does not have payments on cars, houses, or anything else, so he does not need to work, and he can spend time with his family and loved ones.
    Oddly Mr. Gates and Mr. Buffet spend lots of time brokering new deals, developing new products and otherwise still trying to make more money. I wonder why, when they could devote all their time to their families and loved ones as suggested? What are they doing wrong?

Oh yeah, and your mother dresses you funny!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Oddly Mr. Gates and Mr. Buffet spend lots of time brokering new deals, developing new products and otherwise still trying to make more money. I wonder why, when they could devote all their time to their families and loved ones as suggested? What are they doing wrong?

Oh yeah, and your mother dresses you funny!
    Ok, well let me ask you this? Why do you work? Why don’t you stay home with your wife and kid? Imagine if you had enough that you did not need to? Would you still spend part of your time doing something (along the lines of working) that you enjoy?

Off-topic:
    Look who's talking plaid boy

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, in Gates' cases he has created/funded a huge foundation that gets computers in libraries and schools and helps fight childhood diseases in developing countries, etc.

I don't think we are doing anything wrong, but rather they just found the right oppotunity.

Buffet has been working most of his life acquiring and investing in companies, while Gates had the aptitude and was born at the right time to take advantage of the beginning of the PC industry (if you get in at the beginning of an emerging industry, you'd have to be stupid to not make money).

They probably work double the hours of a typical person, and have to be willing to sarcifice certain things in life.

Essentially, if you want to create the kind of wealth they have, you have to compromise something.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Well, in Gates' cases he has created/funded a huge foundation that gets computers in libraries and schools and helps fight childhood diseases in developing countries, etc.

I don't think we are doing anything wrong, but rather they just found the right oppotunity.

Buffet has been working most of his life acquiring and investing in companies, while Gates had the aptitude and was born at the right time to take advantage of the beginning of the PC industry (if you get in at the beginning of an emerging industry, you'd have to be stupid to not make money).

They probably work double the hours of a typical person, and have to be willing to sarcifice certain things in life.

Essentially, if you want to create the kind of wealth they have, you have to compromise something.
    I think that is a great answer!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Perhaps he just really, really likes what he does? Or would be bored if he didn't work? Maybe Mrs G is just not a scintillating conversationalist?

A lot of activities can be more enjoyable if it's something you don't HAVE to do.

A number of people I know who have retired have re-entered the workforce, generally part time, just to stay busy, be around people, and sometimes to get away from their retired spouses!

If town planners spent their time brokering deals, creating new products and otherwise doing something more useful for the consumer, they would make a lot more money. Especially since it would be the beggining of an emerging industry, where you'd have to be stupid not to make money.

But don't listen to me! I'm crazy!!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Perhaps he just really, really likes what he does? Or would be bored if he didn't work? Maybe Mrs G is just not a scintillating conversationalist?

A lot of activities can be more enjoyable if it's something you don't HAVE to do.

A number of people I know who have retired have re-entered the workforce, generally part time, just to stay busy, be around people, and sometimes to get away from their retired spouses!
    I was just reading some short interviews about theses successful CEO’s, Corporate Leaders, and other people that society deems successful and found three major connections between each of them. They all loved their jobs, they has phenomenal communication skills, and they all got up early and worked late.

Most of them also did some sort of physical activity before work.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    If town planners spent their time brokering deals, creating new products and otherwise doing something more useful for the consumer, they would make a lot more money. Especially since it would be the beggining of an emerging industry, where you'd have to be stupid not to make money.

But don't listen to me! I'm crazy!!
    basically, become a developer, which is where the real work (and profit) of city building is done.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    May 2005
    The world needs people like Gates and Buffet. They are the prototypical protagonists that someone like Ayn Rand would write about. Without them, the world is for the worse.

However, to say that they are doing something more profound than the average citizen is the beginning of a slippery slope.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    http://www.forbes.com/finance/feeds/...fx2584706.html

So more people are becoming magarich, and bill gates, a computer geek is their king. Warren Buffet is number two. Additionally the article says that more than half of the billionaires live in the US.

What are they doing so right... additionally, what are we doing that is so wrong?
    More interesting to me is that Canadian publishing mogul Ken Thomson has moved to number 9 globally. Why? Because he publishes expensive textbooks used by hundreds of thousands of Canadian students. Shoddy textbooks, at that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. $40 billion is worth what?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Feb 2013, 4:42 PM
  2. Article: Gates and Walls
    Front Page Article Comments
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Nov 2011, 3:32 PM
  3. Two Billion Dollars Per Day!
    Friday Afternoon Club