Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread

Thread: City-wide trail systems

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001

City-wide trail systems

Looking for good examples of City-wide Trail systems. Preferebly larger cities over say 250k in population, but if they don't fit this but deserve a mention please pass them on to me. Thanks...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Check out the
    Trail Maps from the Colorado Lottery: http://www.coloradolottery.com/about...maps/index.cfm
    Click on Denver or Colorado Springs or Fort Collins
    (shameless plug - I helped create the orginal maps when in Grad school)

Indy Greenways: http://www.indygreenways.org/

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Here is one for the 7 county Southeast Michigan area (Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, N Toledo).

http://www.greenwaycollab.com/SEMG.htm overall scheme

http://www.semcog.org/TranPlan/NonMotorized/index.htm current system

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Doesn't Rochester NY have one?
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks guys I'm gonna check them out here in a bit. I had forgotten about the Denver system...

Registered
    May 1997
    Denvver has excellent trails. You should also look at Portland, OR.

Registered
    May 2005
    I was going to say Denver, but look at San Fran. and
    "A man is what he does in his dreams." ~Camilla Sacci

Registered
    Oct 2001
    The Parkway in St. Joseph Missouri (73,000)
    Billed as the finest boulevard system in the United States, St. Joseph's Parkway ribbons through the city for 26 miles. Developed in 1918 by internationally known landscape architect George Burnap, St. Joseph was one of the first cities in the United States to develop an imaginative and comprehensive parkway plan. Popular for hiking and biking activities, the completed system connects principal parks and recreation facilities, providing a "green belt" throughout the city. St. Joseph's Parkway has been nominated for the National Register of Historic Places.

http://www.stjomo.com/new_biking_hiking.htm

BIKING & HIKING TRAILS:

* please contact the individual facility for more detail about each venue

The Urban Trail System: A network of 10 concrete trails and traditional sidewalks, links the public to neighborhoods, schools, recreational opportunities, shopping, work, and provides an opportunity for general fitness in a safe environment.

Urban Trail Distances - Link to Urban Trail distances.

More information for each segment of existing trail can be found by clicking below:

Northwest Parkway - Ferndale to Lovers Lane

Northwest Parkway South - Corby Pond to Lovers Lane

Corby Parkway - Corby Pond to Ashland

Bartlett Park - Bartlett Park to 28th/Commercial.

Chicago & Rock Island - 28th/Commercial to 36th St.

Southwest Parkway North - 28th/Commercial to 22nd St.

Southwest Parkway South - Mansfield Rd. to Hyde park

Missouri Western State University: 2.5 miles
    Recreation Services, 816.271.4453
    St. Joseph, MO

The Missouri Western State University Department of Recreation Services provides many venues for recreation and athletic competition. Facilities for nearly every athletic activity are available, as well as facilities that accommodate not so common recreational activities. Recreation Services boasts a walking trail composed of wood chips that measures 2.5 miles in length and a 9-hole frisbee/disk golf course. The facilities also include a skeet/trap range featuring new throwing machines that is open to public use during approved hours of operation.

St. Joseph Inner City: 9 miles
    1920 Grand Ave., 816.271.5500
    St. Joseph, MO

Youngdahl: 2 miles
    1920 Grand Ave., 816.271.5500
    St. Joseph, MO

Krug Park
    3500 St. Joseph Ave, 816.271.5500
    Saint Joseph, MO

This 162 acre park is St. Joseph's largest park. With it's 1.2 mile scenic drive, it is a family favorite. The park offers numerous attraction such as an outdoor amphitheater, picnic houses, playground, one-acre lagoon for paddleboat rides and feeding the ducks, rose garden, gazebo, and wildlife preserve area.

Corby Park
    26th & Parkway, 816.271.5500
    St. Joseph, MO

Bartlett Park
    31st & Duncan, 816.271.5500
    St. Joseph, MO

This 24 acre park is located in the approximate center of the parkway system. Bartlett Park is ideal for both active and leisurely uses. Included are picnic areas, a shelter and grill, playgrounds, ballfield, and a section of the Hike & Bike Trail runs through the park. Popular for both day and evening activities, Bartlett is one of the earliest bequests of land to the park system.

Hyde Park Recreational Complex
    4th & Alabama, 816.271.5509
    St. Joseph, MO

Hyde Park is focused as 93 acre active use park with a swimming pool, skate park, six lighted ballfields, three lighted tennis courts, basketball court, horseshoe courts, two concession stands, paved walking trail, playground area, and restrooms. The ballfields vary in size, accommodating many skill levels, and also feature appropriate seating. The pool facility features a pool house and was renovated in 2005. For less active use, there are four shelters, one set as an alternate use bandstand, and a gazebo surrounded by tables, grills, and shade trees. This area is the most popular for family and company gatherings from early spring through late fall. The varied terrain lends itself to some exciting sledding during the snowy winter.
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Tucson is an interesting one. . .here is thier bike map. . .which also links up to the nat'l forest, county park, and nat'l monument trail systems. . some of which allow bikes other which are restricted to hikers/pedestrians. . .

http://www.pagnet.org/bikemap/

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2002
    The Milwaukee County Parks System has an extensive network of recreational trails. Check out the trail webpage for more info. Also be sure to check the County Parks System Map webpage for a map of the trails.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Recources is building the Hank Aaron State Trail, which runs through Milwaukee and will link to the County's trails and the City's RiverWalk.

Madison/Dane County, Wisconsin also has an extensive trail network. The City's bicycle trail website has some good info, plus links to other Madison/Wisconsin trail sites.
    Last edited by Markitect; 13 Mar 2006 at 4:18 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    Doesn't Rochester NY have one?
    Absolutely not.

Rochester earns a 'needs to improve' for ped and cyclist access. There are 2 trails: One along the Erie Canal, and another on an old RR ROW parallel to the Genessee River.

Now Minneapolis/St. Paul... there's a different story.

There's the Grand Rounds, numerous streets with bike lanes (S Park/S Portland, University/4th SE, 5th SE) and the Midtown Greenway and the Cedar Lake Bikeway.

St. Paul is a little spottier, but there's E River, Old Sheperd, Summit, Fairview, bits of Como, and a few others that don't come to mind.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Metro Atlanta's trail system: http://www.pathfoundation.org/

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Portland Oregon's 40-Mile Loop! Spent many a weekend walking it's segments. I believe you can download a map in a four page pdf format which you can tape together.

http://www.40mileloop.org

Cheers!
    Kim
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    Portland Oregon's 40-Mile Loop! Spent many a weekend walking it's segments. I believe you can download a map in a four page pdf format which you can tape together.
    Walking 40 miles in Portland? Better Bring an umbrella

I kind of like it, wish there were more intersecting alteratives as a giant loop is not all that great for non-recreational travel (work or personal business trips). I do like the pathway by the freeway. We have one of those, connects with a couple of other pathways too.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    For an international example check out the links from my city on this page: http://www.wellington.govt.nz/servic...ays/index.html. You can see photos, descriptions and maps. BTW, our popn is about 170k in the city area and 350k in the wider region.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 66
    Last post: 15 Jun 2007, 11:31 PM
  2. County wide zoning - good or bad?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 23 Nov 2006, 12:45 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Jan 2006, 1:52 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 May 2005, 6:01 PM