Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Examples of flat transit ridership after service expansion?

Registered
    Jan 2006

Examples of flat transit ridership after service expansion?

I have been doing some research on examples of rapid increases in boardings at various transit agencies. Not surprisingly the most substantial ridership increases are a result of service expansion made possible by increased funding. In addition to the simple increase in boardings, some but not all agencies experienced an increase in utilization as well.

My question is does anyone have any examples of areas where service was expanded substantially and there wasn't a reasonably complimentary rise in boardings?

Many thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planner_West

My question is does anyone have any examples of areas where service was expanded substantially and there wasn't a reasonably complimentary rise in boardings?
    trimet here in portland (trimet.org) put forth a massive effort to add the yellow line to our light rail system, expanding its service area into north portland. i can't throw you any hard numbers, i've heard the average ridership is no better than when the area was serviced solely through busses. in fact i remember a blurb in the local weekly when they were planning the line that they cut some bus times/routes to force ridership and keep the numbers looking good. i'm sure that's common of such revitalization/expansion projects. so far as i know, everyone loves the train and it's undoubtedly well-used, but it's by people who were already using transit. it's just not the amazing response the city and trimet had hoped for. it may or may not help your search, but googling portland/trimet/yellow line/etc. might bring you some facts.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 23 May 2013, 12:02 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Sep 2006, 3:31 PM
  3. Gas Prices And Transit Ridership
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Mar 2005, 6:59 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Nov 2004, 5:07 PM