Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A little help for an undergraduate thesis

Registered
    Mar 2006

A little help for an undergraduate thesis

I'm working on my undergraduate thesis, which is a comparison of the environmental effects of potential HOTway and Rail development in Honolulu, HI. Basically it comes down to which - hotway or rail - is better for the environment. Some of the variables we're considering are air, water, energy, and scrap.

Since the resources and time required to actually build a model of some sort are beyond the scope of this project,I am using case studies of rail and hotway initiatives already implemented in other parts of the world. Right now, I am favoring Singapore as de facto model for rail analysis, given the city-state's geographic and (historically) demographic similarities with Southern Oahu and Honolulu.

A real thorn though is finding a comparable solution for Hotway development. I cannot find any island states that have implemented such a proposal.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by aesculanus
    I'm working on my undergraduate thesis, which is a comparison of the environmental effects of potential HOTway and Rail development in Honolulu, HI. Basically it comes down to which - hotway or rail - is better for the environment. Some of the variables we're considering are air, water, energy, and scrap.

Since the resources and time required to actually build a model of some sort are beyond the scope of this project,I am using case studies of rail and hotway initiatives already implemented in other parts of the world. Right now, I am favoring Singapore as de facto model for rail analysis, given the city-state's geographic and (historically) demographic similarities with Southern Oahu and Honolulu.

A real thorn though is finding a comparable solution for Hotway development. I cannot find any island states that have implemented such a proposal.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

ask your local MPO.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

You might try the Victoria Transportation Policy Institute as a source. They have a lot of information on the impacts of transportation decisions although I am not sure how much of it is in the specific area that you are discussing.

http://www.vtpi.org/

Are you in the Planning Program at UH? I was there from 95-97 - excellent place to be in school

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    ask your local MPO.

Here is a link to it...

http://www.oahumpo.org/

Scenario Transportation Planning for the area, summary and contacts

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/Planning/sce...cenplanrpt.htm
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Undergraduate anyone?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Dec 2011, 5:57 PM
  2. Replies: 114
    Last post: 17 Apr 2009, 3:21 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Nov 2007, 12:38 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 Aug 2007, 8:36 PM