Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Jinx On A Coke (Youth Phrases)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Jinx On A Coke (Youth Phrases)

Is there anybody olde enough to remember the phrase "Jinx on a Coke!"? It was used when two (2) people said the same thing at the same time. Usually, early teen kids, most often boys.....when it happened they would slug each other and say "Jinx on a Coke!".

Was I dreaming? Or, did my early teen neighborhood slip off into some space warp? The other day, Katie and I said something together and I said, "Jinx on a Coke!" She looked at me and said something like WTFAYTA?

Thank you, I'll have another.....Saturday Night Live first came out when I was in my early 30's. Many phrases became hip because of that program and many stayed with us. I still use "Never mind!", spoken in a little girlish tone (as in Rosanna Rosanadana).

Thank you, I'll have another.....Another phrase from my youth that has stuck with this Bear was from the great movie, WOODSTOCK. Remember the scene where a young Arlo Guthrie is talking on stage about the New York State Thruway being closed? He used the phrase, "Lotta freaks!".
    _____

I know that there are others.....I will have to give my younger brother a buzz and see if he can recall some.

What say you?

Bear
    Bear (Jinx On A Coke!)
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    We used a similar version in the 1980's "Jinx, you owe me a Coke" usually accompanied by a punch to the arm.

SNL was loaded with catch phrases, "Isn't that special", "Candygram", "cheesburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger"

Others that imediately come to mind:
    Gnarly dude
    Don't have a cow
    where's the beef?

Is there anything NOT on Wiki??

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I always thought it was "Jinx, it's a coke" like you owe me one. I knwo in college we would say, "Jinx, it's beer".

Thank you SIR I'll have another is a famous phrase from National Lampoons Animal House.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    We used a similar version in the 1980's "Jinx, you owe me a Coke"
    yeah, that's how we used to say it

Registered
    Aug 2005
    SNL had a skit about "Jinx buy me a coke". they'd break into the rhyme:

Jinx! Buy me a Coke! Inky-dinky-pinky-winky! Flush it down the kitchen sinky! Alley Ooop! Alley Ooop! Doh hinky. The king of France wet his pants right in the middle of a ballroom dance. Yodleayheehoo! Yodleayheehoo! Nee nee nee ne nee nee neee ne nee nee nee nee. Huh!"
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    In my youth, it was always just simply "Jinx!!!!!"

In my parents' day, they say it was "pinch, poke, you owe me a coke"
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2005
    We used to yell "Jinx" in primary school. The hitting was saved for the next time the person who had jinx called on them spoke.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I havent heard "Jinx" in ages! I think we all got over it when our parents started using the phrase....
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2004
    "Not IT !!!"

Registered
    May 2005
    When I was in elementary school (1970's) we had a term called "geech" which was accompanied by a sort of in-your-face, open fingered gripping action. This was the result of doing something embarrassing or being caught doing something wrong, or being put down. Sort of akin to "burn!"

As with most generations, I was sure this was product of my peers' own inherent genius. Later I found that my brother, 11 years my senior and who attended the same school, had the same tradition!

We also just said "jinx" if two people said the same thing at the same time. If that person spoke before someone said their name, they got a punch in the arm. Pretty standard stuff.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by chukky
    We used to yell "Jinx" in primary school. The hitting was saved for the next time the person who had jinx called on them spoke.
    That's what we did. If two people said the same thing at the same time, one yelled out jinx and the other could not talk until someone said his/her name.

What about "psyche!" ? As in: "Dude, I just saw you sister get hit by a bus....psyche!" "Aahahahaha."

And "no suh (no sir)!" and "naa-aah!"

Quote Originally posted by jmello
    What about "psyche!" ? As in: "Dude, I just saw you sister get hit by a bus....psyche!" "Aahahahaha."

And "no suh (no sir)!" and "naa-aah!"
    I wonder if this wasn't more regional, particularly the 'no suh' part.

Funnily enough, I found myself saying 'psyche' just this morning when a completely empty train came out of the car-yard and so I had a mercifully quiet commute into Town.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    The one no one around me seems to recall

"where's the beef!?"

or

"Not!"

For fans of the show "Dinosours" "Not the mommy!" Steve uses this when one of the dogs is upset about something and only I can fix it or kiss and make them better. If something is hurt or an ear is infected they only want the mommy not him.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    "No duh..." said with lots of sarcasm. It was so obnoxious. Much like "Whatever" is today.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Cowabunga and Eat My Short are two slangs from Bart Simpson that I remember being used a lot in my elementary school days, but I don't ever hear anyone saying these slangs anymore.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    How about the shadow game? "Do you wanna play shadow? No. No. Stop Copying Me! Stop Copying Me!..."
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    [in response to whatever name one gets called] I know you are but what am I
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    My almost 9 year old daughter still does the "jinx you owe me a coke" thing. How these things continue on through the generations is amazing.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    We just said "You owe me a Coke" and gave the arm punch. Never heard anyone use jinx as part of it.

Also, if we saw a car with only one working headlight, we'd yell "Popeye!" and give an arm punch to go with it.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Aug 2012, 8:53 AM
  2. Coded phrases
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 21 Nov 2011, 7:06 PM
  3. Pepsi One, Coke Zero
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2