Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planner duties

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006

Planner duties

Do all planners working with their city planning department have to do plats, what other duties can you expect if you are working as a planner in the city's planning department

Registered
    Nov 2002

Do Whats?

I don't even know what a plat is so either that's a major regional difference or the answer is no.

Usually planners on the local level around here start out with regulatory (zoning) review and then move up to more long-term planning studies, although there are lots of different ways to move around.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich
    I don't even know what a plat is so either that's a major regional difference or the answer is no. Usually planners on the local level around here start out with regulatory (zoning) review and then move up to more long-term planning studies, although there are lots of different ways to move around.
    Around here a plat is a subdivision.
    In a small office I have done both - issue permits & write the Comp Plan.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    A plat is a plan of subdivision showing existing and proposed boundaries, meets and bounds (and whatever else the locality requires). I assumed it was a pretty standard term; it was used pretty universally in all my texts.

Yeah, I just checked some of my old texts, it's in most of the glossaries. I know college textbooks are nationwide, they don't make different issues for different regions.

Here's a standard definition:
    Plat
    A recorded document prepared by a registered surveyor or engineer that defines property lines with their monuments, attendant roadways, power and phone lines and other easements, common elements and so on. It also may contain covenants and restrictions that encumber the properties created by the plat.
    Last edited by CosmicMojo; 13 Mar 2006 at 12:47 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Off-topic:

Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    I assumed it was a pretty standard term; it was used pretty universally in all my texts.
    Nope, must be a regional term. I am used to subdivisions, consents and severances.

Back on topic

1) Variances
    2) Special studies
    3) Zoning
    4) Plan Amendments
    5) Grant writing/administration
    6) HeritageConservation
    7) Recreation Planning

There are lots more, it all depends on how your department is set up.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    It's both regional and universal at the same time. Most people in planning/zoning/real estate/surveying should know what a plat it. What varies is the frequency of the term from region to region. If you live in an "old" state like those on the East Coast the term pops up more often than say on the West Coast. Also too it depends on who and how the property laws and processes were set up in a state or local area.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    As Masswich said, yes, you start out usually in the permitting end of things and then work your way up -

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Planners in cities are usually involved either in current planning, long-range planning, transportation planning, neighborhood planning, etc.. And remember, not all planners work for cities. I've never worked for a city. I've had three planning jobs; one for a regional planning commission and two for different counties.

First I was a regional transportation planner, and I did the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), put out requests for proposals (RFPs) for transportation studies, and did a few grant applications. Usually staff from a city's planning department puts in work for the local MPO, and they would be in charge of the stuff I did in my first job. I wasn't involved with plats or rezonings or anything like that at all.

Second I was a planner totally involved with code enforcement... zoning codes and subdivision codes. I wrote the staff reports and answered alot of "what can I do with my property" questions at the counter and over the phone, but I didn't do any real planning. What I did at that job is considered "current planning".

Now I work for an office that is all about long-range planning, which is the opposite of "current planning". I just finished up an agricultural preservation plan, and now we are all working on the 2035 comprehensive plan.

Quote Originally posted by Laredo Urbanist
    Do all planners working with their city planning department have to do plats, what other duties can you expect if you are working as a planner in the city's planning department
    I think part of the confusion relates to what you mean by "do" plats. As a municipal planner in my last job (well, as a consultant acting as municipal planner for several municipalities), one of my tasks was to review subdivision plats against the zoning regulations (i.e. ensuring that all required setbacks could be met, etc). I never had to revise or draw plats myself, however.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. New duties
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Jun 2013, 1:42 PM
  2. Job duties
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 May 2007, 7:06 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 20 Feb 2007, 12:29 PM