Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Machine-adapted field listing

Registered
    Dec 2004
    While reading up on how to conduct a land use survey, in a book copyrighted 1979, I ran across talk of "machine-adapted" field listing....using PUNCH CARDS. While the processes and methodology are still the same, I think we might need to invest in something a little more up-to-date over here. I'm not sure many folks my age even know what punch cards are!

Clare2582, getting hip to land use planning, one dusty, yellowed page at a time.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by clare2582
    While reading up on how to conduct a land use survey, in a book copyrighted 1979, I ran across talk of "machine-adapted" field listing....using PUNCH CARDS. While the processes and methodology are still the same, I think we might need to invest in something a little more up-to-date over here. I'm not sure many folks my age even know what punch cards are!
    The text should say, "Obtain a database file from the County Appraisers office and use this parcel listing as the basis for your field survey work. Maintain the parcel identification number so that the database may be merged to a GIS coverage for future detailed analysis and representation."

Does anyone remember the old mid-1970's when Tandy-Radio Shack had computers that you had to load the operating system and games onto the computer via casette tape?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    The text should say, "Obtain a database file from the County Appraisers office and use this parcel listing as the basis for your field survey work. Maintain the parcel identification number so that the database may be merged to a GIS coverage for future detailed analysis and representation."

Does anyone remember the old mid-1970's when Tandy-Radio Shack had computers that you had to load the operating system and games onto the computer via casette tape?
    Right, that is how the text should read- but we're going to go into a little more detail in our downtown and industrial areas, and just looking for a better way to organize it before I get bogged down.

My brother had the tape thing! I can remember it even when i was a kid- way out to the mid seventies, more like late 80's... we've come a long way.... I hope.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by clare2582
    Right, that is how the text should read- but we're going to go into a little more detail in our downtown and industrial areas, and just looking for a better way to organize it before I get bogged down.
    This might help. I recently used the LBCS system to complete a detailed land use study of my city.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Bump - split from RTDNTOTO

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Jul 2012, 4:42 PM
  2. The time machine
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35