Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any attractive town planners in the US?

Registered
    Jul 2005

Are there any attractive town planners in the US?

Just an innocent question - having just looked at the Alefest photos in the gallery to try to get an idea of who I am spending chunks of my life with these days.

In Sydney we tend to be a funky, arty, classy, sophisticated black-wearing bunch who associate with architects and designers. Is the US different?

Have I alienated everyone.....

Sorry - I need that avatar.

Do we need an Australian Cyberfest?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Probably not. What ego development planning program did you attend?

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Sense of humour 101.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Gee, quick edit. Did you forget to leave the part about how "gorgeous" you are and how the ale-fests reveal the rest of us are not? If you want hot people try "supermodels r us". Sheesh.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    There are lots of attractive female planners in the US. Thing is, they usually work in the next city over. Grass is greener, you know.

From what I saw in school and witnessed at conferences, young female planners tend to be preppy sorority girl types, more so than the dress in blahhk and talk about ahht crowd. Not ALL of them, of course, but it leans that way. The planner I supervised at my previous job was a textbook hottie type, right down to the tramp stamp on her back.

Still, though, browse through planning department Web sites, and you'll think otherwise when you see photos like this:

One Cyburbia meme: all male planning directors MUST have beards. It's just a rule in the States.

Here's a photo from the planning director's breakfast at the last APA conference.

Okay, not really, but you get the point.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    There are lots of attractive female planners in the US. Thing is, they usually work in the next city over. Grass is greener, you know.

From what I saw in school and witnessed at conferences, young female planners tend to be preppy sorority girl types, more so than the dress in blahhk and talk about ahht crowd. Not ALL of them, of course, but it leans that way. The planner I supervised at my previous job was a textbook hottie type, right down to the tramp stamp on her back.

Still, though, browse through planning department Web sites, and you'll think otherwise when you see photos like this:

One Cyburbia meme: all male planning directors MUST have beards. It's just a rule in the States.
    Quick retrieval, Dan, but I'm still disturbed by a newbie's first, unedited posting that we're all dogs.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Well gosh darn it!

Sounds like we needing to go down Sydney way to get us some of that there culture. Cus' all we know how to do ‘round here is tromp around in that Mississippi Mud, pick cotton and play basketball!

Seriously, I'm sorry you failed to learn tact or manners in must have otherwise been a distinguished academic career.

btw, Go Tigers!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Quick retrieval, Dan, but I'm still disturbed by a newbie's first, unedited posting that we're all dogs.
    I've been to a few Alefests, and met quite a few hotties. The OP might also want to dig up some of the infamous Denver conference photos with yours truly.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Consider me suitably chastised.
    I'll get back in my box for a while.
    Genuine apologies.

Registered
    Dec 2003

I consider myself hot , but only after I have been drinking and see my reflection in the porcelain goddess while bobbing for brown trout........

Guess I better head out to the garage.

Quote Originally posted by Princess
    In Sydney we tend to be a funky, arty, classy, sophisticated black-wearing bunch who associate with architects and designers. Is the US different?
    Innocent question to follow...
    So that's how all planners in Sydney are? How much do they pay you for that? Do you get any projects approved, or are they collecting dust on a self? Man, I must get a job there so I too can be a funky, arty, classy, sophisticated black-wearing bunch who associate with architects and designers .

Funny, just the other day RJ told me to clean up my garbage mouth in my yearly evaluation.

Oh and the answer to the "Is the US different?" question is yes and no. No if your a crappy conslutant that takes existing work and resells it back to the client. No wonder they can afford to be a funky, arty, classy, sophisticated black-wearing bunch who associate with architects and designers.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2005
    ya know how toilets flush the opposite direction Down Under, maybe the same works for making friends. rather than being nice to attract friends, you offend to make friends. maybe?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I tend to be normal, non-goth, wear black only as accents. If someone sees me with an engineer or architect in a social situation, shoot me dead. Now,

"Well, who are you / Who are you...
    Come on, tell me, who are you / Who are you...
    Oh, I really want to know / Who are you...
    Tell me, tell me, who are you / Who are you...
    Come on, come on, who / Who are you...
    Oh, who the f**k are you / Who are you..."

The Who

I can't wait to critique the images you post from lower hemisphere. Everybody else ready? (no smilie here.)

Is this a covert search for a potential candidate of the reality show The Bachelor?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    *shrug* I suppose I missed the ... unedited post? But it all seems in good fun.

That being said, my poor mug isn't plastered all over the gallery. Which is why you need to come to Canada and meet REAL planners, Ms. Princess. :P

In all seriousness, though, the attractiveness rating of the planners in my university program is... hm. Definitely depends on origin. The rurals tend to be frumpy, having never clothed thineselves in things other than animal skins and the like. I'm sure you understand. The rest of us are wonderful. *cough*

I can understand the dig though. I find that planning often rears its ugly, bigoted head and in one fell swoop dismisses all that is design and art. Planners aren't technical enough to be engineers and they aren't interesting (or pretentious) enough to be architects. That being said, they do a remarkable job of moderating the two, and old attitudes are probably changing. This is my evaluation of some of the rhetoric that flies around. Hell, I'd love to find planners that have read Jacobs or Corbusier or Alexander, or anything, for that matter. And if I hear one more person to my face blindly defend Portland simply because they hear it was kind of nifty I swear to god I'm gonna lose it. My feeling is probably incorrect, but I often detect an intellectual fear from planning folk. Too much blind blather and too little reflection. Though I'm now guilty of the blind blather. And hypocrisy. I'm going to end this now.

I'd take an architect over an engineer for social situations any day though. With an architect we can have fun: drink 40s and float burning models down the river, for example (dear god I wish I could say this was a tall tale). With an engineer I can hear about how great he is. Forever. UWaterloo engineers are the worst. Think high school glee club transposed to a 5000 strong troupe. Tra la la we are the engineers tra la la look at us we invented beer drinking tra la la. Idiots.
    Last edited by abrowne; 13 Mar 2006 at 10:52 PM.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    Is this a covert search for a potential candidate of the reality show The Bachelor?
    Beats me. Will they pick a guy based on an avatar of his forehead scar?

Or a guy searching for "trout" in his bathroom?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    ya know how toilets flush the opposite direction Down Under, maybe the same works for making friends. rather than being nice to attract friends, you offend to make friends. maybe?
    I don't think she meant any harm. Aussies have a much higher threshold for what could be considered offensive to someone by North American standards. In the US, if someone called me a Jewboy, it would almost always be an insult unless it was from a long-time best friend. In Australia, it could be a term of endearment from some friendly folks I just met just minutes ago.

New Mexico was much the same way. Pinche juedo!.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I don't think she meant any harm. Aussies have a much higher threshold for what could be considered offensive to someone by North American standards. In the US, if someone called me a Jewboy, it would almost always be an insult unless it was from a long-time best friend. In Australia, it could be a term of endearment from some friendly folks I just met just minutes ago.
    s'ok. i wasn't offend. 'cuz i know i am smokin hot! plus i tend to wear a lot of black and sometimes consider myself sophisticated. no preppy sorority girl here!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'll give the benefit of the doubt. But next time I see a post like that, I'm going to copy/paste before it gets edited.

Registered
    May 2003
    Don't shoot the messenger, people.

I've always assumed unattractivness to be more of an internet thing than anything else.

Dan: Haha, "tramp stamp."

Princess: AFA the whole "hip planner" thing goes, remember that Sydney is a "hip" city. Do you really think planners in Canberra are too cool for school also?
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Beats me. Will they pick a guy based on an avatar of his forehead scar?

Or a guy searching for "trout" in his bathroom?
    Perhaps they are searching for candidates for The Average Joe.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I see you're already introduced yourself, Princess. The thread is closed. Too bad, because I'd go back and retract my welcome.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Dan: Haha, "tramp stamp."
    See also "California license plate." Also see this video.

Yup, and she wore blouses that showed it off when she bent over, too. Being her supervisor, I had to take care to avert my eyes.

Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Princess: AFA the whole "hip planner" thing goes, remember that Sydney is a "hip" city. Do you really think planners in Canberra are too cool for school also?
    There's a mailing list called "Radical Urban Planners." It's mostly young planners from San Francisco. The Web site has photos of the participants, and they look fairly hip, too.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    But they fail. Because they used the word radical. It may be the root of rad, but this does not save them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    ya know how toilets flush the opposite direction Down Under.....
    So, it flows up out of the bowl and onto the floor? Well, I guess that explains.....something.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    But they fail. Because they used the word radical. It may be the root of rad, but this does not save them.

I hear the times, they move a little slow up there in Canada.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Closed thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 13 Mar 2013, 9:20 AM
  2. Town planners and sustainability
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Apr 2008, 9:57 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Jun 2006, 9:50 AM
  4. Replies: 28