Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any attractive town planners in the US?

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Princess
    In Sydney we tend to be a funky, arty, classy, sophisticated black-wearing bunch who associate with architects and designers. Is the US different?

Have I alienated everyone.....
    Yes, we planners are an elite few. We devise the schematics, and let others build them. We can't trifle with how to go about doing it. The workers can bloody well figure it out for themselves!

Now come darling, retire with us to the salon. Take a chair, any chair, or if you prefer, go ahead and lounge on the divan. We're so glad you could join us.
    Last edited by dobopoq; 13 Mar 2006 at 11:44 PM.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    ya know how toilets flush the opposite direction Down Under, maybe the same works for making friends. rather than being nice to attract friends, you offend to make friends. maybe?
    No. I find the post offensive too. Although I suspect a little tongue-in-cheek trolling here.....
    Last edited by JNL; 13 Mar 2006 at 11:30 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm actually quite fugly. But, that works for me. Your mileage may differ.

No offense was taken by me Princess

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I kinda agree w/ eG.

Besides, I always wondered how one defines attractive anyway ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Consider me suitably chastised.
    I'll get back in my box for a while.
    Genuine apologies.
    Consider them accepted.

btw..Go Tigers

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    IAussies have a much higher threshold for what could be considered offensive to someone by North American standards.

Course we do. Thats why are one of the few nations on earth that thinks "Where the bloody hell are you?" is a smart and witty tourism slogan.

Oh come on out Princess. You want a hottie planner, that's cool, that's what you want. Welcome and stick around.
    If youn think we're ugly ducklings, it's no big deal.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    I find that planning often rears its ugly, bigoted head and in one fell swoop dismisses all that is design and art. Planners aren't technical enough to be engineers and they aren't interesting (or pretentious) enough to be architects.
    I agree with that. I think they tend to be policy wonks and don't "get" inate creativity.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Me? I'm pretty much God's gift to women. Don't believe me, see for yourself....

I'll interpret that stunned silence as respectful awe.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I, too, am quite attractive. Especially, considering my extra sized gut, within which I have stored energy reserves for the lean times.....whenever they come.....
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    I LOVE it - I've got to get in on this one.

OF COURSE I am hot. I have been bestowed this distinction by others because I am smart, funny, considerate, hard-working and a GREAT planner to boot. And they want to stay on my good side because I can also be grumpy, petty, ugly, and generally unpleasant to be around.

This also describes many of the women I work with. We are professional women who think about much more than our outfits and keeping up with the hipsters. We are well-rounded and have a wide world view. (If this also describes our butts, well it is an office job after all.)

To me, HOTNESS is defined by attitude and not outward appearance.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    To answer your question - yes, there are attractive planners in the US, and they are all here at Cyburbia! We attract all types here - the gorgeous, butt-ugly, intelligent, ignorant, stupid, superficial, extroverts, introverts, serial kitten killers, liberal, conservative, etc. etc.

Friendly Cyburbia User Tip #1001 - Use Smilies to Help Convey Your Message

FYI - the smilies are on the left side of the reply to thread box. You can click on the More link at the bottom of the smilies gallery if you don't see any appropriate smilies that best convey your message. If you still don't see something you want, then use code tags - [insert emotion here] insert your message here [/insert emotion here] - or punctuation - **insert emotion here** insert your message here **insert emotion here. This will help others understand your message a little better.

"A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    There is a planning director of a town in Montana who get teased because his planners all seem to be female, blonde, twenty-something and pretty.

And if you wanted to see a very attractive planner (not a town planner but a county planner) just come to my office. Not me, of course. I share an office with a real looker.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Just an innocent question - having just looked at the Alefest photos in the gallery to try to get an idea of who I am spending chunks of my life with these days.

In Sydney we tend to be a funky, arty, classy, sophisticated black-wearing bunch who associate with architects and designers. Is the US different?
    In Sydney, I would stand out like a sore thumb. Instead of the artsy type, I am more the type that associates with a group that will go to a packed night club, with a group of guys who spend too much time at the gym and wear clothing that shows it and women who don’t wear much, but what they do wear enhances their physique quite well.

In college, I fit in more with my fraternity than with people who where in my program. Even now, I am not the norm when it comes to the typical planner. Some planners look for jobs that they can wear jeans and a t-shirt at... I don’t. I like the shirt and site or the suit.

I admit that I have a bit of an ego... Maister can attest to that... but I am happy with where I am at and I think that there are a few others in here that don’t fit the typical planner type.

Do we need an Australian Cyberfest?
    Yes... you do.
    Last edited by michaelskis; 14 Mar 2006 at 11:19 AM.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    In Sydney, I would stand out like a sore thumb. Instead of the artsy type, I am more the type that associates with a group that will go to a packed night club, with a group of guys who spend too much time at the gym and wear clothing that shows it and women who don’t wear much, but what they do wear enhances their physique quite well.
    He tells the truth. Here's his photo.

Registered
    Feb 2004

Why didn't you attach the photo of his girlfriend too?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well...I am plump, short, and furry. And, probably way too old (43).

I'm not "offended" per se, but it did seem like an "odd" post. And, I would note that we planners are pure of heart and soul. Your average young Wall Street Ivy League Graduate may be more...attractive...but a black heart beats underneath that smooth Brooks Brothers exterior as he (or she) schemes to steal your grandmother's retirement!

Dan: Where did you get that photo? I can NEVER imagine M'skis even "sweating" at all, let alone wearing a stained shirt. (just kidding)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    No... I do not have my ears pierced and I have a goatee.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hey, I'm hot! I'm the one on the left with pit stains. My planner friends call me "Guido."

Although I don't hang with funky, arty, classy, sophisticated tie-wearing folks who associate with architects and designers, am I still worthy?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planner Hottie
    OF COURSE I am hot. I have been bestowed this distinction by others because I am smart, funny, considerate, hard-working and a GREAT planner to boot. And they want to stay on my good side because I can also be grumpy, petty, ugly, and generally unpleasant to be around....To me, HOTNESS is defined by attitude and not outward appearance.
    Ditto to everything you said! I personally always look for the good in people - you can have average looking people be absolute sweethearts and make them so much more attractive, or very hot people with attitudes that make them that much more unattractive (hmmmm....won't name names).

I admit that I have a bit of an ego... Maister can contest to that... but I am happy with where I am at and I think that there are a few others in here that don’t fit the typical planner type.
    There's nothing wrong with having an ego unless you have to dump all over everyone else in order to have it.

Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Although I don't hang with funky, arty, classy, sophisticated tie-wearing folks who associate with architects and designers, am I still worthy?
    Absolutely!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

In reality I feel bad for Princess, I couldn't imagine lively that horribly beautiful with everyone gawking at me, and suitors knocking down my door every night, my social calendar filled to the brim, and everyone thinking I am a dumbass. I think you need to post your picture.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Are there any attractive town planners in the US?
    I don't know about that, but there are apparently a lot thin skinned planners! Damn people, have a bit of self confidence.
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I admit that I have a bit of an ego... Maister can contest to that...
    I'm afraid I can't contest that.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    I feel bad for "her" too. Sure we don't have a "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" on our hands?

Don't take that the wrong way. I think it's a fun and funny topic to bring up.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    This may just be the most ridiculous thread I have ever seen!!
    Hot planners?? Who gives a $hit what anyone here looks like?? Are there any occupations (other than models) where everyone is good looking?? And does it matter?? Does it make someone better or worse job??
    How funny and ridiculous!!!!!!
    But since I am already here and most definately responding, yes Princess, all of us planners here in the States are good looking, perhaps you are looking at the wrong pictures if you aren't seeing this. But I am pretty sure my "hotness" contributes nothing to my job, nor do my friends, nor does the places that I hang out....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    There's nothing wrong with having an ego unless you have to dump all over everyone else in order to have it.
    I agree completely.

People like that make pi$$ me off because in HS, those were the types that would dump on me.

Closed thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 13 Mar 2013, 9:20 AM
  2. Town planners and sustainability
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Apr 2008, 9:57 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Jun 2006, 9:50 AM