Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: "Adopt-A-...." programs

Registered
    Aug 2005

"Adopt-A-...." programs

i'm interested in learning more about City Beautification programs such as "Adopt-A-Highway" and the like.

first of all, is there an official term for such programs?

does your City/town/municipality have any such programs?

do they work?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

There is no more visible admission of the incompetence of public property than adoption programs. They just flat out admit they can't take care of the property by asking you to take care of it for them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    There is no more visible admission of the incompetence of public property than adoption programs. They just flat out admit they can't take care of the property by asking you to take care of it for them.
    Off-topic:
    You ever read "Tragedy of the Commons" by Garrett Hardin? Therein you will find the answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons
    Habitual Offender

Quote Originally posted by jaws
    That may be partly true, but it also transfers the cost of maintaining the property (which is expensive on a marginal cost basis, because they are often in hard to reach areas on a municipal area).

Plus it helps give the city's charitable organizations some outlet.

I remember once when my Uncle from New Zealand was up visiting us in Canada, he commented on how much he liked the idea of Adopt-A-Roads, and thought that they did a good job of keeping roadsides clean.

Quote Originally posted by Yorke790
    That may be partly true, but it also transfers the cost of maintaining the property (which is expensive on a marginal cost basis, because they are often in hard to reach areas on a municipal area).
    So what you're saying is that the government is externalizing the cost onto the population.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    It is a classic case of externalization. My city has an adopt a road program and as far as I can tell they work well. The name of the "adoptive" organization is posted prominantly on the street so if they want to maintain thier image they take care of the street.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We have groups that ASK if they can adopt something, so we see it as giving the charitable organization what it wants and the City saving money on maintenance.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 24 Jul 2006, 10:51 AM