Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen appliances that are rare in your country

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Kitchen appliances that are rare in your country

Several hours ago, I bought a Melitta electric water kettle at Target. I drink tea occasionally, and an electric kettle is handy to have for heating up water quickly; much more quickly than a kettle on a stove. Just pour water in, turn it on, and a few minutes later, after boiling begins, the kettle turns off automatically. You have to be much more careful with a kettle on a stove; it boils slower, and water can boil over if it's unattended.

I know that electric water kettles are rare in the US; growing up, we thought electric waer kettles were mildly exotic, since you would only see them in Canadian kitchens. What other kitchen appliances are relatively common on one country, but nearly nonexistent in another? (Let's limit this to developed nations, so people don't chime in about the lack of ice-dispensing refrigerators in Chad, or the rarity of microwave ovens in Sudanese kitchens.)
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It must be my Canadian heritage showing through, but I grew up with electric kettles. Funny, but I can't remember seeing them in stores lately. Do they still make toaster ovens? They were a fad for several years, but I think the microwave may have taken their place.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Not an appliance, but it is impossible (to my knowledge) to find strudel maker in the U.S. I have two of them but it took my mom a few years to arrange for a friend to get them for me when she went home to visit relatives in Germany.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Kettles are all the rage here (if any kitchen appliances can be deemed as 'all the rage') - they're essential for a good cup of tea, which as I'm sure you all know, in good stereotypical fashion is the main thing we drink over here.

Virtually noone has waste disposal units here - only very posh people as far as I'm aware. Likewise for ice dispensing fridges.

Mind you, I have some friends who believe that electricity is a bit of a fad and will blow over, never mind those new fangled automobiles.

Quote Originally posted by noj
    Mind you, I have some friends who believe that electricity is a bit of a fad and will blow over, never mind those new fangled automobiles.
    Nah, we just live in hope
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Not an appliance, but a utsensil. It seems like pizza cutters are rare in England. Even when you buy a pizza they never cut it. Cutting a pizza with a knife is actually quite challenging.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I know they're not incredibly rare, but I also know they are far more popular elsewhere, and that's electric rice cookers. We almost cook enough rice to warrant getting one....but not quite. I'm sure Mrs. Maister would disagree. Oh, and FWIW I'd never even heard of an electric water kettle for making tea before.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Unless installing a bidet in the kitchen has become all the rage in other nations these days, I’d be hard pressed to think of an appliance that modern American (including Canadian) kitchens don’t have.

EDIT:
    Wait. I just thought of one. Perhaps it’s because I haven’t paid close enough attention to other peoples kitchens, but outside of my Mom and Dad’s and a couple of other houses I’ve been in I don’t recall seeing a trash compactor in many kitchens. That’s strange too, considering that they are such a convenience, especially if you live somewhere without weekly garbage pickup.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Not an appliance, but it is impossible (to my knowledge) to find strudel maker in the U.S. I have two of them but it took my mom a few years to arrange for a friend to get them for me when she went home to visit relatives in Germany.
    Yes, the dearth of good strudel makers here in the states is appalling. And just try to find a good spaetzle maker ...
    www.aaltonet.com/spaetzle/index.shtml
    Last edited by Maister; 10 Jan 2005 at 9:08 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I just got and old fashion tea pot for christmas. I don't use one enough to warrent elec. for that matter do you have an elec. ice tea maker? I would not use one of those enough either.

I do have an elec. rice cooker. I can do rice in it where I can't seem to get it right on the stove.

Automatic bread makers were all the rage a few years ago. Great idea, fair tasting warm bread. But I really shouldn't eat that much bread and if I make it I would eat it.

I also have an elec griddle. A stand mixer. A salad Shooter, I love.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by noj
    Virtually noone has waste disposal units here - only very posh people as far as I'm aware. Likewise for ice dispensing fridges.
    Posh? Hehe! I've got a waste disposal unit, and an ice dispensing refrigerator. Even low-end rental apartments have them.

There is a double wall oven in the house I bought. I wonder how common they are outside of the US. (I hope mine doesn't ever need to be replaced; they're expensive, and I wouldn't have purchased it on my own.) The ceramic cooktop is separate; I believe they're called "hobs" outside of North America. I heard that magnetic induction cooktops are common in Australia, but they're ver rare in the US.

What about dedicated freezers, both front-loading and top-loading? Many people I know have freezers because they buy meat in bulk, or they're hunters and need a place to keep a couple hundred pounds of processed venison.

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Yes, the dearth of good strudel makers here in the states is appalling. And just try to find a good spaetzle maker.[/url]
    Three words that will make your life so much easier, Maister. Black. Forest. Girl. Ja?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have an Ice Cream maker, but I never use it. I get enough empty calories I don't need to make more!

Registered
    May 2003
    I have one of those electric kettles to make water for my tea at work. But at home, I use a stove kettle. It really doesn't take any longer than the electric one and it's never boiled over.

Cardinal: My parents bought me a toaster oven for Christmas. They always had one when I was little. I grew up with them. They're far better than microwaves for many things.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We (bf and I) have kettles, ice cream makers, pasta makers, sausage makers, bread makers, wine chillers etc. I had a rice cooker but the ex made off with it, need to get a new one.

The single most used thing in our heap o stuff is the super fast heating kettle (we are tea NUTS!) and the crock pot.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Our rental apratment has disposer and ice-maker.

I haven't seen too many dedicated freezers outside of my grandparents house in the south...? I would love one here at my (forth-coming) new house, I am not a hunter, but I get elk and venison in bulk from my uncle...

One household appliance I have heard about, and only seen at my family's house in Montreal is central vacuum... good idea, but I haven;t seen it anywhere in the States.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    garbage disposals are rare up here as far as I know...but electric kettles are pretty much in every kitchen.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We have a dedicated freezer in the basement which we got second hand from relatives. It comes in handy especially when your tiny kitchen can't fit a big fridge. No venizon or 'possums, just bread and other frozen stuff.

What I'd kill for is a dishwasher. I feel like half my life is spent doing dishes, but there's no room - not even for a portable one.

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- I wash my dishes by hand and don't really see the point to a dishwasher. You still have to rinse them and that takes nearly as long as washing them. The only difference is that the water doesn't have to be hot and you don't need soap.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Three words that will make your life so much easier, Maister. Black. Forest. Girl. Ja?
    That's four (ja?). Unfortunately, my American wife gets really wierd whenever I bring over one of my nazi dominatrix friends. I enjoy the pillory fantasies alot but for some reason my wife seems to take offense. Heck I've even offered to let her wield the riding crop herself and told her she didn't even have to wear the leather teddy....but no dice. I'll just have to stick with the ol' store bought spaetzle (sigh)....

Registered
    Nov 2004
    A trash compacter.

A went to a friend's house that had one. It was broken and he didn't plan on getting it fixed, but it was interesting, none the less.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Of all things that have been mentioned in this thread so far, the only thing that you probably won't find here is a trash compactor, but you get regular weekly garbae disposal pretty much everywhere here, so it'd be somewhat useless.
    Although something that you can see anywhere here are the blades inside the drain of the kitchen sink that you generally see in scary movies...
    Oh...and Chile isn't a developed nation yet, but you can get pretty much anything you need, except of course the latests inventions, but they eventually get here, so yuppies cash out big money for useless things and feel better about themselves.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    We got an electric "contact grill" (not a George Forman) for Christmas and have been using the crap out of it.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    ^-- I wash my dishes by hand and don't really see the point to a dishwasher. You still have to rinse them and that takes nearly as long as washing them. The only difference is that the water doesn't have to be hot and you don't need soap.
    That's how I felt when I was single too.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Hot Air Popcorn Popper!

With the advent of the microwave, the hot air popper is hard to come by in a kitchen these days. I saw one that I must have...nothing like hot air popped corn.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Yes, the dearth of good strudel makers here in the states is appalling. And just try to find a good spaetzle maker ...
    www.aaltonet.com/spaetzle/index.shtml
    Thanks I knew I was spelling that wrong and just couldn't figure out what on earth was not right.

And maybe you can get them now but I couldn't find one when I was looking and it took some serious effort for my mom to find me one...er two.

EDIT: PS Maister, my mom says you can use a colander as a spaetzle maker but I have never tried it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Useless/Useful Kitchen Gadgets
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 80
    Last post: 17 Jul 2010, 1:21 PM
  2. Replies: 83
    Last post: 09 Jul 2010, 5:14 PM
  3. Kitchen Lighting Question
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18