Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Origins of "Stan" (Split from Random Thoughts)

Registered
    Dec 2004

Lifelong Governmnet Bureaucrat

We'll call him Stan. He started in the Department at some point during the second Nixon administration. He's been in the same cublicle since they remodelled the office back in '86. His computer is awkwardly wedged in on his desk among stacks of papers that were there ten years before the computer was. He comes in late and leaves early, goes on "walks" for hours at a time in the middle of the day. He goes through his days asleep, even while walking and talking, for he turned it off mentally at some point in the mid-'90s and now shows up so he can collect his retirement pension in a few years. He contributes nothing to the day-to-day operations of the organization, which is a shame, since he's been there longer than almost anyone else, and has been there through all the ups and downs, the passing fads and "latest things" through the years. He could contribute, but he doesn't really care. He has forgotten why he signed up for this job decades ago.

God, I hope I don't end up like him 30 years from now.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by gerblunk
    We'll call him Stan. He started in the Department at some point during the second Nixon administration. He's been in the same cublicle since they remodelled the office back in '86. His computer is awkwardly wedged in on his desk among stacks of papers that were there ten years before the computer was. He comes in late and leaves early, goes on "walks" for hours at a time in the middle of the day. He goes through his days asleep, even while walking and talking, for he turned it off mentally at some point in the mid-'90s and now shows up so he can collect his retirement pension in a few years. He contributes nothing to the day-to-day operations of the organization, which is a shame, since he's been there longer than almost anyone else, and has been there through all the ups and downs, the passing fads and "latest things" through the years. He could contribute, but he doesn't really care. He has forgotten why he signed up for this job decades ago.

That was my biggest fear working in the public sector, that I would turn out like that. That's why I moved to the private side.

There were many good people where I was, but they didn't stay long. There were also many lifers just like you described.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

I'm sure this guy works for me. For now.

I just looked at my picture gallery....how in the hell can there be 211 views of my uncooked pizza from Sunday night? I'm flattered, ya'll and confused.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 05 Jul 2005 at 3:08 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001

This could be its own thread.

I have seen people like this. When they were younger they thought promotions were something you got automatically. You didn't have to work toward it or earn it. Then they didn't get promoted, and started to figure out that they never would. After that, they just decided to skate by. My last employer had a clerical staff that was nearly all these kind of people. Budgets were cut and staffs were reduced and they didn't pick up any of the slack. When one did, they showed up at a council meeting to protest her getting an increase in pay grade. Grrr.

I just can't figure out how managers allow this. Yes, it is difficult to fire. But it can be done. I fired the shop steward for the union.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    ...[snip].... I fired the shop steward for the union.
    I'll never forget the day the shop steward got fired and the civil service commission upheld the decision in a county I work for in California (I was proud to have a hand in that). Everyone rejoiced. Difficult Card, but yes, it can be done...progressive decipline and document, document, document...(look out planner X working for me in a right to work state).

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I just can't figure out how managers allow this. Yes, it is difficult to fire. But it can be done. I fired the shop steward for the union.
    At my old job, they offered early retirement packages to the lifers, and dozens took the bait. The downside was that there was a lot of institutional knowledge lost, and a greater burden placed on the good people.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    ...[snip]... there was a lot of institutional knowledge lost....[snip]....
    AKA: that's the way we've always done it, why should we change now? Because the rules have changes and maybe, just maybe, you've been doing it wrong the whole time, anyway!!!! This, coming from a newbie to my community... And plus, there's a new sheriff in town. (sorry for the rant).

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Many of us are food-oriented, haven't you noticed?
    JNLs recent pic of herself on the beach I can understand at those #s and could appreciate....but my uncooked pizza? Well, this is Cyburbia...I guess I understand it when I think about it more. Some of us need to get lives.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 05 Jul 2005 at 3:11 PM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Da Boss (split from Random Thoughts)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 25 Sep 2009, 4:18 PM
  2. Replies: 97
    Last post: 17 May 2006, 10:34 AM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last post: 03 Feb 2006, 9:35 PM