Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Postponing applications at public hearings

Postponing applications at public hearings

I did a search and found nothing on this topic, so I'm starting this thread.

We have had a subdivision and pud request on our plan commission's public hearing agenda since last September. The request was originally tabled at the hearing for a period to allow the applicant to provide additional information that the commission deemed necessary to fully consider the request. That information was received, and the case was re-docketed in November. Then the applicant began a sequence of postponements -- or outright failed to show -- at the meetings. This lead to a formal denial of the requests.

I think, and I think my commission agrees, that this is terribly unfair to the neighbors (and may indeed be an effort to simply wear down the opposition). We want to address this issue and so I am asking what other communities do.

I researched my fellow Hoosier ex-Pat Jerseyan's fair community and like what they do (I'll let him chime in if he sees fit), but am interested in other approaches as well.

So, Cyburbia, how do you handle this?
    Je suis Charlie

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Apr 1996
    New Hampshire
    Our Board will allow for 2 continuances of public hearings, then after that, all abutters must be re-notified.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Aug 2004
    Central Texas
    A 3 meeting total, then denial. New applications must start application process again from the start - with all new fees, new notification, and time lines.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Jun 2003
    at the neighboring pub
    They get two freebie continuances from us without republishing and sending notice letters. However, they must repost signs on the property for the continuance date. After the two contuances there will be action. If denied, they get to start the whole process over again, including $$$$.

FYI, failure to show up for a zoning change, variance, etc. here is grounds for denial.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 1:51 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 02 Sep 2010, 9:57 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last post: 29 Jan 2010, 12:23 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last post: 08 Jan 2005, 12:43 PM
  5. e-notices of public hearings
    Information Technology