Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: [NationStates] The UN Membership

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003

[NationStates] The UN Membership

Ok, I'm getting somewhat bored of it, I'll say it.

So what's your opinion about it? ( The Nationstates UN, not the real one!) I'm hoping this thread gets a bit of discussion here...

Should we go rogue and leave it? Should we go on as it is? The resolution threads too boring and too uninteresting?

I was temped to make a poll but I'll resist, because that doesn't help much for the discussion

[edit]
    NEWS FLASH!!!!

King Skel has ordered to his UN representative to leave, and that the Kingdom of Skeletonics will no longer participate in the UN's corrupt and hollow debates. From this moment forward, your nation is on its own, to be guided by it's benevolent King Skel!

All Hail King Skel!

Last edited by SkeLeton; 15 Mar 2006 at 1:41 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    So, you left the UN. So far, I haven't seen anything that makes me real excited either way. I've received 2 telegrams, stating that my laws have been changed to be in line with the UN resolution/law, but it hasn't changed much within Salmissra's boundaries. I'll leave if that's the way the region wants to go, but I'm currently content to stay put.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    never joined it in the first place. figured it would be counter-productive to what I wanted to accomplish with my li'l corner of Cyburb.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I have never given much though about it. I'm a member, but If I am going to withdraw I better do it now. I won't be as noticed if I jump on the band wagon early.

Unrelated:
    I want to start a new country and dismiss every issue from inception. I wonder where that would get me? As it stand now, I dismiss 80% of the issues, but it'd be interesting to see how 100% dismissal would play out from the start.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I just joined the UN (mainly because most of Cyburb had), but then discovered they've got a thing for this idea called democracy. As it stands, I'm already a bit disappointed that I've moved from Psychotic Dictatorship to Corrupt Dictatorship.

Needless to say, I'm out like a fat kid in dodgeball!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I admit that I have been somewhat disappointed with the UN.

Maybe we should write up a resolution that will dissolve the UN.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 17 Mar 2006 at 10:36 AM.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Maybe we should write up a resolution that will dissolve the UN.
    Duh.... That's against the rules of proposals.... but you can get booted if you put stupid proposals 3 times in a row... Thing is that you need 2 endorsements to put a proposal up.

Quote Originally posted by michiganplanner
    Unrelated:
    I want to start a new country and dismiss every issue from inception. I wonder where that would get me? As it stand now, I dismiss 80% of the issues, but it'd be interesting to see how 100% dismissal would play out from the start.
    That's a nice way to have your nation stuck in the same place forever... the only thing that'll change is your population... and the GDP to mantain the same GDP per capita.... not very fun I bet.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I have resigned from the UN! So far, no reaction from my loyal subjects
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I have noticed that the UN aprooved a resolution about Nuclear Non Proliferation.... I remind to all roleplaying nations that if you are a member of the UN you are affected by those resolutions and you can't claim to do something that is prohibited by UN resolutions.

I'm not saying that you should resign, but it's your choice!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm still a newbie. I joined, responded to issues on both ends of the pendulum, and seem fairly stable. i.e. boring.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I'm still a newbie. I joined, responded to issues on both ends of the pendulum, and seem fairly stable. i.e. boring.
    That's precisely what made me leave.... and that I got bored that resolutions were affecting my country's economic development... The maximum GDP per capita I had when I was a member of the UN was around 17,000 and now I'm near 30,000 that's quite a difference.

In any case, I'm open to the idea of having a RP UN here, where you could make it closer to what the real world UN is... having a political influence. Something that the NS UN can't do.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I'm out. If I want to stake out more land for GUDG I need to be larger than the UN allows.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Heh... it seems that boiker is about to loose the delegateship.... he only has Stanstopapuck's endorsement... since most of the UN members haven't endorsed him.... now... will you UN members please do something about it? Either pick a new one, or stay with boiker or just leave... whichever you please....

It would be a security problem for our region, if I hadn't removed the permission to enter the regional control to the UN delegate. But right now it's just for fun, so it's no big deal... Although it was fun to see how some complete stranger joined our region and left right away.... works wonders... s/he kicked him/herself out and I didn't have to do anything...

Oh and don't worry UN members if we actually do get invaded and they elect a new delegate, I'll kick them all out!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well, what I had supposed, happened. Boiker lost the status of UN Delegate, and while I'm not in the UN nor I care much about what happens there, I think that the remaining UN members should either elect a new delegate or leave the UN, since I don't see the point in being in the UN and not having a delegate.

As I said above, there is no security problem due to the lack of a delegate, since the delegate can't enter the regional control.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. APA membership
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 2:08 PM
  2. ITE membership
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Nov 2011, 3:46 PM
  3. Replies: 48
    Last post: 26 Dec 2006, 2:16 PM