Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: California wine industry is going to hell for this

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

California wine industry is going to hell for this

Welcome to the Napa Valley. Not you, Bubba.

Long a destination for visitors wanting to picnic in California's idyllic Wine Country and then cap the day off with a little winery hopping, the bucolic region of rolling vineyards, romantic estates and boutique wineries saw 4 million tourists in 2005.

But today, many vintners are making it clear: There is no more room at the inn for the Bermuda shorts crowd, who drive from tasting room to tasting room with Aunt Betty and belly up to the bar for another swig of Sauvignon Blanc. Now, some wineries charge as much as $25 for tastings, offer pricey VIP packages and, in many cases, require appointments and credit card numbers for visits. No-shows get charged if they fail to cancel 48 hours in advance.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NG3SHQOCV1.DTL
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I suspect that the winery tours were always about publicity and not a money making venture. They gave a good experience to those who are likely to remain loyal to the vineyard's wines and buy a lot of it over their lifetimes. So if the crowd showing up has changed to those just looking for a cheap vacation, it makes business sense to enact economic measures to ensure that they only attract the crowd most likely to be life long wine snobs. If someone's motivation is just to have some free wine and a cheap place to picnic, are they really likely to (a) care about the vineyard's history and image and (b) be loyal to the vineyard's wines when there are cheaper options on the supermarket shelf for getting buzzed?
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Aw, shoot, I hope the Texas wineries don't do that!

BTW, that article said you're supposed to "spit" after tasting?? Ick. Doesn't sound too glamorous to me...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    ...BTW, that article said you're supposed to "spit" after tasting?? Ick. Doesn't sound too glamorous to me...
    Some liquids are spit out, but wine is not, IMHO.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2004
    Perfect! Come visit Eastern Washington instead and wear what you like.

Registered
    May 2004
    whoops! hit enter 2x
    Last edited by spokanite; 19 Mar 2006 at 5:25 PM.

Registered
    May 2003
    For those with a traffic engineering bent, this is congestion pricing. I am sure it provides revenue, but, more important, the wine tasting infrastructure does not match the number of people who want to visit. The congestion pricing reduces the number of people visiting the tasting rooms to a level that the tasting rooms can handle.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm of two minds. The "Let's drive from winery to winery and get toasted" crowd is a problem.

The elitism is disturbing, though. Rational, understandable, and all that-but disturbing.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Aw, shoot, I hope the Texas wineries don't do that!

BTW, that article said you're supposed to "spit" after tasting?? Ick. Doesn't sound too glamorous to me...
    Don't worry, they don't! The central Texas wineries are very much a T-shirt & jeans bunch. I've never witnessed problems with the "let's get drunk on a wine tour" crowd on the Texas circuit. Also, you don't seem to get that "wine snob" attitude here--their pretty friendly and glad to chat you up about things totally unrelated to wine (Spurs is always a good topic )

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Wineries in Western Michigan along the scenic Lake Michigan Shore Line would be more than happy to welcome wine tasters and tour groups!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 34
    Last post: 01 Feb 2008, 3:30 PM
  2. Why California is going to hell
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Jan 2005, 10:57 PM
  3. Why California is going to hell #???
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0