Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Bizarre bike lanes - BBC photo article

  1. #1
    maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Location
    Odd-a-wah
    Posts
    6,586

    Bizarre bike lanes - BBC photo article

    Funny, if sad, set of photos from the BBC Website showing some poor examples of bicycle lanes. Anyone got some other not-so-good examples?

  2. #2
    Cyburbian jmello's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clayobyrne, CB
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Funny, if sad, set of photos from the BBC Website showing some poor examples of bicycle lanes. Anyone got some other not-so-good examples?
    There's a striped bike lane in Boston (Dorchester) that runs for about 15 feet along Morrissey Boulevard, then ends. There is also one on Perkins Street in Jamaica Plain that is always blocked by parked cars. Those are really the only two in the whole entire City of Boston.

  3. #3

    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    6,468
    Kunstler had one as an Eyesore of the Month. basically, it was a striped bicycle lane, half of the width was filled with a storm drain grate/bicycle tire-catcher-and- rider-disembarker contraption

  4. #4
    Member CosmicMojo's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Location
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Posts
    543
    At least they have them!

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    18,150
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Kunstler had one as an Eyesore of the Month. basically, it was a striped bicycle lane, half of the width was filled with a storm drain grate/bicycle tire-catcher-and- rider-disembarker contraption
    April 2004

    Link to photo:http://www.kunstler.com/eyesore_200404.html

    For more interesting photos check out -
    http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/ Cycle Facility of the Month

    AIB caption in 1st photo in BBC story.
    Last edited by JNA; 16 Mar 2006 at 2:52 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  6. #6
    Cyburbian Rumpy Tunanator's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Intervention
    Posts
    4,475
    Not a bike lane, but I had a guy submit a site plan that had a utility pole in the middle of the required sidewalk.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."


    Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

  7. #7
    Cyburbian AubieTurtle's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Downtown Atlanta
    Posts
    894
    Sigh... utility poles in the middle of the sidewalk are common here, at least on roads built buy the state DOT (you know, the ones who call sidewalks "automobile recovery zones"). And the photo in the linked article of the dead end sidewalk is very typical of suburban Atlanta. Office parks frequently have a sidewalk at the edge of the development as window dressing. It usually doesn't connect to anything on either side but they get to claim they're pedestrian friendly for putting down a slab of concrete.

    The DOT also made a big fuss about the fact that they put in a bike lane along 2/3 of the road they built leading to the parking deck of the Georgia Aquarium. Unfortunately, the aquarium uses it as a place to park service vehicles (even though they have a 1600 spot parking deck and multiple service bays).

    I expect one of these days to find a bike lane equiped with little guys from the jungle waiting in the bushes to shoot poison darts at anyone who dares to actually try to ride a bike in a bike lane.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

  8. #8
    Cyburbian jmello's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clayobyrne, CB
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    And the photo in the linked article of the dead end sidewalk is very typical of suburban Atlanta. Office parks frequently have a sidewalk at the edge of the development as window dressing. It usually doesn't connect to anything on either side but they get to claim they're pedestrian friendly for putting down a slab of concrete.
    You know, I agree with you on the premise. But, as a lifelong ped: anything is better than nothing.

  9. #9
    Cyburbian jsk1983's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,099
    The worst bikelanes I've ever seen were in Nottingham, England. They were basically the right side of the pavement closest to the street. If there was a tree, utitly pole, or any other obstacle you had to either ride in the street or slow way down. I'm not sure what the point of them was other than to have them for the sake of having them.

  10. #10
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Laredo, Texas
    Posts
    65
    There is a really bad bike lane in laredo that turns into a turning lane for cars and than back to a bike lane.

  11. #11
    Member
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rosny F 93110
    Posts
    6
    In the 60's,in France, there was an all car policy. Cycles where count for 0,26 car unit, the more bicyle there was, the more car where count, and cycle lanes vanishe for making place for car.

    Dans les années 60 en France, les pouvoirs publics favorisaient l'automobile. Dans les comptages, un vélo comptait pour 0,26 voitures, donc plus il y avait de vélos, en particulier sur les pistes cyclables, plus on comptait de voitures. Des pistes cyclables disparurent pour améliorer la circulation de ces voitures fictives.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2006
    Location
    Montreal, Qc
    Posts
    29


    yup, there are many bike paths in montreal with screwed up design. mainly the one along gouin blvd. in the north of the city (above). gouin is one of the oldest streets in the city, with many charming village areas and parks, as well as hundreds of utility poles on sidewalks/bike paths.


    the rachel st bike path and christophe colomb path through the plateau are well built, but are now faced with very heavy cycle traffic (time for passing lanes?)

  13. #13
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,583
    Blog entries
    3
    No photos of my own, but I immediately thought of curbside bike lanes with frequent sewer grates that have bars parallel with the path of travel.



    D'oh!

  14. #14
    Cyburbian MM1648's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    54

    No concept...

    I come from a metro place, and just recently bike lanes are being place along some streets. Its pretty sad, I must say. Not that many use this option of transportation. The only ones are some children. Its a world "driven" by gas-guzzlers.

  15. #15
    If we were going to put bike lanes in our town. I know they would end up just like that! Ha ha !!

  16. #16
    Cyburbian jordanb's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    City of Low Low Wages!
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally posted by rabelaisien View post
    In the 60's,in France, there was an all car policy. Cycles where count for 0,26 car unit, the more bicyle there was, the more car where count, and cycle lanes vanishe for making place for car.

    Dans les années 60 en France, les pouvoirs publics favorisaient l'automobile. Dans les comptages, un vélo comptait pour 0,26 voitures, donc plus il y avait de vélos, en particulier sur les pistes cyclables, plus on comptait de voitures. Des pistes cyclables disparurent pour améliorer la circulation de ces voitures fictives.
    ^-- I think rabelaisien's last bit was lost in translation. He's saying that on routes with high levels of bicycle traffic, the data actually ended up showing a high level of car traffic because bikes were being counted as fractional cars. The artifically high traffic count number was then used as justification for removal of bike lanes for congestion mitigation.

    While that seems like a bit of bureaucratic idiocy I can't help but think that that was the intended result of the policy of counting bikes as fractional cars. In that, the people who decided to do that wanted to discourage biking and also come up with ways to make the data support their desire for more automobile facilities.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

  17. #17
    Cyburbian jmello's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Clayobyrne, CB
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb View post
    ^-- I think rabelaisien's last bit was lost in translation. He's saying that on routes with high levels of bicycle traffic, the data actually ended up showing a high level of car traffic because bikes were being counted as fractional cars. The artifically high traffic count number was then used as justification for removal of bike lanes for congestion mitigation.
    Strange.

    While watching the Tour de France, I saw an interesting roadway facility. It looked as though the shoulder of an autoroute had been turned into a pedestrian and/or bicycle lane by simply installing at short metal guardrail between the right lane and the shoulder. Is anyone more familiar with this? I looked all over the internet for photos to no avail.

  18. #18
    Member
    Registered
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    You know, I agree with you on the premise. But, as a lifelong ped: anything is better than nothing.
    That's true. It's also a problem that developers use the fact that the sidewalk would not connect to anything as a reason not to build it. Of course, that means that the next developer will also use the same argument and no sidewalks will ever get built.
    On the other hand, if a 100 foot strip of concrete is laid that attaches to nothing, the next developer will be more likely to include sidewalks in their plan or at least they will have less of an argument when they are required to include the sidewalk.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Bike lanes in center of street
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 30 Oct 2011, 3:02 PM
  2. Why not use bike lanes?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 04 Feb 2009, 12:06 AM
  3. Road cross-sections with bike lanes
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Mar 2006, 3:11 PM
  4. Bike Lanes in your community.
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 12 Apr 2004, 2:56 PM
  5. Logo ideas - bike lanes
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Jun 2003, 1:16 PM