Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Downtown guidelines without a heritage preservation committee

     
    Registered
    Mar 2006

Downtown guidelines without a heritage preservation committee

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knew of any cities that have regulations/guidelines for a historic downtown, but don't have a Heritage Preservation Committee? If so, how are the regulations addressed and enforced?

Thanks, Kristen

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Ours our adopted by resolution of council and our urban design department and planning departments use them when reviewing applications.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Changed the thread title. I had no idea what an "HPC" was. Googling "HPC" and "heritage preservation committee" only results in 55 hits.

Reminder: try to reserve the use of acronyms for only those terms that are in the everyday vocabulary of a typical planner - PUD, HUD, HOA, and so on.

If it's an acronym that is common but local to one state or province (SEQRA in New York; CEQA in California; DCA, ORC or NOI in Florida), spell out the acronym if you have enough room, or include the name of the state if you don't.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    now wait a minute, permitting and regulations are supposed to make sense?

but really - you are right that's how it should work, but in my town, we don't have such a committee - luckily the Design Review Board that reviews demolition and facade changes in our historic district either are 4th generation town resident so they know what it looked like when it was built or they have a design background so they know how it should look

     
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Okay, sorry. I maybe should have said Historic Preservation Committee. That gets over 40,000 hits on Google. I wasn't aware that it was a regional term... maybe it is.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005

San Dimas

I would check out the City of San Dimas in California. They have a historic district where they have done a good job in preserving early California architecture styles such as Craftsman, Queene Anne, and Spanish/Mission styles. They have a downtown design guidelines manual that must be followed by when building a new home or adding onto an existing home in that district. They have a design review board that makes sure these guidelines are being followed.

www.cityofsandimas.com

Registered
    Mar 2004
    San Dimas most excellent! are you So-crates?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by KristenK
    Hi! I was wondering if anyone knew of any cities that have regulations/guidelines for a historic downtown, but don't have a Heritage Preservation Committee? If so, how are the regulations addressed and enforced?

Thanks, Kristen
    It deffinately should be under the charge of the Design Review Board with the Planning Department providing preliminary review and help. I remember reading about a couple of southern towns where all reviews for demolition and renovation went to city council immediately - BAD IDEA! Politics starts becoming the issue as opposed to whether certain structures should actually be preserved or not.

Taylor

Registered
    Jul 2004

bad idea

It sounds like you're in the same situation that we are--we have "Historic District Standards,"but no board to review compliance with them, since our Design Review Board was axed several years back (they did away with the board, but not the standards). Now staff has to review projects for compliance, but since our "standards" are full of phrases such as "the preferred material is wood," we're constantly battling with developers over every little thing.

We've hired a consultant to help us get this mess cleaned up, but he wants us to have stricter standards and a design review board, while the Planning Commission and Assembly only want stricter standards and no review board.

At the very least, you should have a clear statement that staff has the authority to review and enfoce the standards (we don't even have that--we just do it by default since our board was abolished). When someone disagrees with staff's interpretation, they can always appeal the decision.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Downtown design guidelines.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 12:19 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 09 Jan 2009, 7:54 PM
  3. Downtown design guidelines
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Apr 2008, 9:07 AM